: Suede Steering wheels come to the ATS for $225

M5eater
05-14-13, 09:38 AM
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/en-US/ATS/2013/Accessories/Interior/Steering%20Wheel/

Noted this little treat in the configuration.

being that I currently eye-google the configurator on a daily basis, this had to be added only hours ago.

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/app_get/getImage?image_id=12_CAD_ATS_STW_01&app_name=gmaz_accy&width=250&height=250&type=jpg

adiaz2331
05-14-13, 10:41 AM
WWWWWHAT!? I wouldn't mind having that. Wonder if it works with the heated option? And wonder how much it would be to have it swapped??

M5eater
05-14-13, 11:20 AM
My guess would be that it is not heated.

Cloth does not freeze like leather does.

If you look at the photo. It specificly does not have the heated wheel button.

$225 is a pretty good deal for something like this, I have it in my V and it adds a nice touch. Although I think I also like the hide the leather wheel is wrapped in just as much .

romanats
05-14-13, 11:26 AM
i think this is the new option for 2014 they said new sports steering wheel

kmb32687
05-14-13, 12:03 PM
Sh*t, I'm getting this!

Yplus
05-14-13, 05:32 PM
Am I just wanting to believe that if you don't have paddle shifters, if you get

PART NO. MSRP* BRAND/MODEL
Suede, Black, with Control Manual Shift (KB7) 22967006 $225.00 Cadillac/ATS

that you WILL have paddle shifters? Because I really want that to be true! :)

pissedoffwookiee
05-14-13, 07:21 PM
Am I just wanting to believe that if you don't have paddle shifters, if you get

PART NO. MSRP* BRAND/MODEL
Suede, Black, with Control Manual Shift (KB7) 22967006 $225.00 Cadillac/ATS

that you WILL have paddle shifters? Because I really want that to be true! :)

I second this, actually to take this further, a list of anything that can be bolted on and work would be so cool, things like this, lighted door handles, side marker mirrors, any hack in general.

bringing it back, that wheel is cool, I want it

Stevo Supremo
05-14-13, 07:43 PM
ew, I hate suede steering wheels, drove a ZL1 for a weekend with one and it felt disgusting, I'll keep my leather thanks.

-if I could change anything about the steering wheel is that I wish it was flat bottomed, I loved that about the ZL1 wheel

thebigjimsho
05-15-13, 01:02 AM
Swayde, FTW!

turbo2.0
05-15-13, 11:18 AM
now if they would only come out with the suede shift know that has been saying "future part" forever now. Checked this morning and it still isn't available.

sebas042886
05-15-13, 06:51 PM
Suede shift knob is available as well. Ill be $500 bucks poorer next week.

Stevo Supremo
05-16-13, 12:22 AM
$500 for a suede wrapped shift knob?!?! eeeffffffff that!!! I bet you'll soon be able to get a nice TWM short throw shifter for less than that

roadpie4u
05-16-13, 10:51 AM
$500 for a suede wrapped shift knob?!?! eeeffffffff that!!! I bet you'll soon be able to get a nice TWM short throw shifter for less than that
MSRP on the wheel is $225
MSRP on the knob & boot is $180 (automatic only!)

I've seen the knob for less, as low as $126. Knob and boot for manual transmission isn't out yet.

sebas042886
05-16-13, 02:21 PM
Exactly. I'd be getting both. Lets see what the dealer tells me since I'm not sure if that includes installation.

I might be getting the protection for the tires as well and since I have run flats I think it's worth it. They quoted me $300 for the tire insurance. So ill ask when I go in for that.

M5eater
05-16-13, 06:59 PM
Exactly. I'd be getting both. Lets see what the dealer tells me since I'm not sure if that includes installation.

I might be getting the protection for the tires as well and since I have run flats I think it's worth it. They quoted me $300 for the tire insurance. So ill ask when I go in for that.
No.

Defiantly Not.

The OE run-flats are
a) garbage
b) have a tiny amount of tread anyway (the Summers have 140.. which fyi, is about what most R-compound tires have, and they're not 7 year old design tires)

sebas042886
05-16-13, 07:15 PM
No.

Defiantly Not.

The OE run-flats are
a) garbage
b) have a tiny amount of tread anyway (the Summers have 140.. which fyi, is about what most R-compound tires have, and they're not 7 year old design tires)

I'm leasing the car anyways, and i have the 18 inch rims. I don't know how they'd look with thicker tires. I'm ok with how the car rides like this too (though to be honest i haven't tried with thicker tires). I'm just getting the insurance because i do design, and go to construction jobs usually 3 times a week. So... it can happen that over the course of 3 years, i'll get a flat, somehow. $300 bucks and they'll also replace the tires before the lease is over so i'm not charged or have to do it myself? I think that's a bargain.

M5eater
05-16-13, 07:18 PM
$300 for the to replace the tires before the lease is up?

What kind of insurance is this? I'd read the fine print carefully.

You're saying that they're telling you that if you pay them $300 now, they'll pay you $1000 later.

roadpie4u
05-16-13, 07:22 PM
Instead of re-mounting tires I got 18" wheels and snow tires for my ATS - and sure the stock 'summer only' runflats are grippy - but they're loud, ride terribly (the car rides MUCH better with lighter rims and non-runflats... the mag suspension makes more of a difference in both normal and sport mode) AND as mentioned they have terrible treadwear and very low tread. I assume they'll last me 6000 miles at best as they can't be rotated.

thebigjimsho
05-16-13, 09:23 PM
$300 for the to replace the tires before the lease is up?

What kind of insurance is this? I'd read the fine print carefully.

You're saying that they're telling you that if you pay them $300 now, they'll pay you $1000 later.

For $500 for my '04 V, and $600 for my '09 V I had tire and wheel insurance. Full coverage of any tire and/or wheel that is on your vehicle as long as its not a race tire.

It took care replacing an EMT tire on the '04, a PS2 on the '09 and fixing a bent rim on the '09. No questions, no issues...

----------

MSRP on the wheel is $225
MSRP on the knob & boot is $180 (automatic only!)

I've seen the knob for less, as low as $126. Knob and boot for manual transmission isn't out yet.

I would guess that the stock manual shift knob may be the same fit as on the manual Vs. Check with Luke at Lindsay Cadillac for the best prices you'll find and he may be able to help you on the manual shift matter...

JoeyCts
05-21-13, 07:07 AM
Now if you do not have paddle shifter on you current steering wheel and buy the one with them will they be functional ?? Cause then I'm sold ..

h3rmes
05-21-13, 08:41 PM
tried this, the paddles don't work. i have to figure out if it is programming related or a hardwire that is missing from the transmission tunnel.

M5eater
05-21-13, 09:21 PM
tried this, the paddles don't work. i have to figure out if it is programming related or a hardwire that is missing from the transmission tunnel.

it's likely simply hardware. Search some of the G8 or camaro boards. there are several threads on people adding paddles from the 6L80E's gear selector.

I'm sure it's nearly identical.

h3rmes
05-22-13, 01:26 AM
it's likely simply hardware. Search some of the G8 or camaro boards. there are several threads on people adding paddles from the 6L80E's gear selector.

I'm sure it's nearly identical.

Yeah, checked the Camaro boards. They seem to think is a BCM software update to enable the radio control buttons. I haven't seen any requirements for a hard wire yet.

----------

Folks,

Here is the Camaro how to thread. I think if you can buy an ATS steering wheel with the paddles installed, I bet it is only going be a software update.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511

----------

Does anyone know if the ATS uses a similar BCM like the Camaro? Also anyone have access to the GM Techline website? I bet if someone looked this up, we might find an easy software update that the dealer could do, and I would happily pay for the update.

derek98z
06-20-13, 01:13 PM
We just installed a suede wheel on one of the cars here in the dealership. Very nice. Not sure if I prefer it over the leather wheel as our leather is so incredibly soft. But looks great none the less.

Hoosier Daddy
06-20-13, 02:58 PM
I much prefer alcantera in our Mustang to the leather.

But I think the ATS alcantera wheel is unattractive because of the high gloss surfaces in the spokes. I don't believe any designer would set out to create that combination. From a feel standpoint, its would be much superior (if you can get past the looks). Fortunately I am spared the decision because they don't even sell the Alcantera in brownstone.

ewired
06-20-13, 05:31 PM
Not digging it from the photos. Looks out of place. Something I would have to see in person. I'm sure it feels real nice!

Stevo Supremo
06-20-13, 09:00 PM
n...n...no...

kmb32687
06-20-13, 11:26 PM
How can I order one? It's not on the GM accessories website. Did they took it down?

roadpie4u
06-27-13, 03:21 PM
We just installed a suede wheel on one of the cars here in the dealership. Very nice. Not sure if I prefer it over the leather wheel as our leather is so incredibly soft. But looks great none the less.
Does the wheel come with any electronics - my dealer thinks it comes with the buttons and such - so once I buy it, it's mine and I can't return it once I take delivery...

Also, does it work with the heated wheel option? I see the button on the wheel in that car, but that could be the stock buttons....

M5eater
06-27-13, 05:13 PM
Does the wheel come with any electronics - my dealer thinks it comes with the buttons and such - so once I buy it, it's mine and I can't return it once I take delivery...

Also, does it work with the heated wheel option? I see the button on the wheel in that car, but that could be the stock buttons....
It clearly still has the button, which is surprising. I would presume to say it then has the function.

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-13, 07:02 PM

It clearly still has the button, which is surprising. I would presume to say it then has the function.

Barring the part description saying it includes the switches, it may or may not. Aren't the switches different between trim levels and options? Some one mentioned a heated seat button on the wheel. I know I've seen wheels with less buttons than my car. Just guessing, I would think customers would be put off by additional non-functioning switches. If Cadillac felt the same and the wheels came with switches, there would need to be a part number for every switch layout in any ATS.

Ford sells wheels as complete assemblies or as components. FWIW, the prices mentioned for these ATS wheels fall about midway between the prices for Ford Alcantera wheels with and without the switches. Since the switch gear seem a higher quality in the ATS and since Cadillac accessories are not known for bargain prices, that would make me guess these wheels require the switches to be moved from the original wheel to the Alcantera one. If doing so is trivial, selling them without switches seems the best for customers and Cadillac.

mikesul
06-28-13, 10:25 AM
Suede wheel on gmpartsdirect.com # 22967006 = $165.36

M5eater
06-28-13, 11:19 AM
Barring the part description saying it includes the switches, it may or may not. Aren't the switches different between trim levels and options? Some one mentioned a heated seat button on the wheel. I know I've seen wheels with less buttons than my car. Just guessing, I would think customers would be put off by additional non-functioning switches. If Cadillac felt the same and the wheels came with switches, there would need to be a part number for every switch layout in any ATS.

Ford sells wheels as complete assemblies or as components. FWIW, the prices mentioned for these ATS wheels fall about midway between the prices for Ford Alcantera wheels with and without the switches. Since the switch gear seem a higher quality in the ATS and since Cadillac accessories are not known for bargain prices, that would make me guess these wheels require the switches to be moved from the original wheel to the Alcantera one. If doing so is trivial, selling them without switches seems the best for customers and Cadillac.

They're complete assemblies. You're over thinking this.

The suede wheel I bought for $180 or whatever it was for the CTS-V was the entire wheel assembly. Installation was a 30minuite affair and highlights include fiddly clips for the airbag.

As far as I've seen with the CTS- and ATS, the pricing for acessories could possibly be considered theft. A similarly priced wheel for a 3 series would Start at $850, and I can assure you, there is no haggling for that.

Suede wheel on gmpartsdirect.com # 22967006 = $165.36

I'm sure there's some wiggle room there of course, but I'd rather get the part from a local forum sponsor. GMPD is famous for their horrible C/S and inflated shipping costs.

derek98z
07-01-13, 06:14 PM
I was not part of the install, only the ordering. The wheel does not offer an option for cold weather or not so I presume that only the wheel itself (leather to suede) is swapped. I'm under the impression that the center of the wheel (electronics) is from the original wheel. Everything works on this car.

thebigjimsho
07-02-13, 12:51 PM
Stop getting jerked around by GMPD. You save little after shipping and the wait is excruciating. Luke @ Lindsay is where it's at.

pissedoffwookiee
08-13-13, 08:11 AM
anyone figure out the paddle shift upgrade?

pissedoffwookiee
08-13-13, 01:53 PM
A co-workers (an ATS owner & a Corvette owner) are trying to convince me to get this because the ATS owner is going to for his and the corvette owner has beautifully tricked out his corvette. I was originally hesitant to do anything to a leased car, but they point out that this is a cheap way to make me happy every day, and they're right. so i would definately be happier to one up the other ATS owner if i can with paddle shifters, according to the camaro link if a $50 reprogram will do the trick i'm all in

ATSFL
08-13-13, 02:20 PM
does anyone have the part number handy for the NON suede wheel with paddles? as much as i'd love to eventually do the suede, it will not look that pretty for long when it starts pilling up in 2 weeks.

Hoosier Daddy
08-13-13, 04:10 PM
i'd love to eventually do the suede, it will not look that pretty for long when it starts pilling up in 2 weeks.
FWIW, I have 18 months on my Boss 302 wheel and it is still like new. No problems with the nap, but may be more careful than some on cleanliness. We don't eat in the car and wash hands before driving any car. That said, I don't like the look of the suede wheel in the ATS at all due to the high gloss of the spokes and switch gear.

pissedoffwookiee
08-13-13, 05:03 PM
another thing that has me interested is the premium/performance wheel is thicker than on my standard, i like that.

ben.gators
08-13-13, 10:10 PM
Steering wheels are different on different trims? I didn't know that!

GJB
08-13-13, 10:28 PM
Steering wheels are different on different trims? I didn't know that!

They are just listed as "Steering wheel, leather-wrapped rim" on all trims the only difference I'm aware of are the paddle shifters and maybe that wheel is thicker??? Now the 2014 steering wheel is thicker, so they say...

Hoosier Daddy
08-13-13, 10:49 PM
They are just listed as "Steering wheel, leather-wrapped rim" on all trims the only difference I'm aware of are the paddle shifters and maybe that wheel is thicker??? Now the 2014 steering wheel is thicker, so they say...
And the buttons may be different. For example I don't think a base without CUE has the voice command button, but I could be wrong.

pissedoffwookiee
08-13-13, 11:05 PM

it was on a '14 premium that i noticed that, i'll have to try and check out a '13

GJB
08-13-13, 11:40 PM
And the buttons may be different. For example I don't think a base without CUE has the voice command button, but I could be wrong.

I think it would have that for bluetooth and or OnStar?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

thebigjimsho
08-16-13, 10:18 PM
does anyone have the part number handy for the NON suede wheel with paddles? as much as i'd love to eventually do the suede, it will not look that pretty for long when it starts pilling up in 2 weeks.

False statement.

ATSFL
08-16-13, 11:14 PM
do you have the ATS suede steering wheel?

False statement.

Hoosier Daddy
08-16-13, 11:25 PM
do you have the ATS suede steering wheel?
Neither of you do, so you should agree to disagree on how long it will look good. I understand if members don't settle things amicably, admin will make them kiss and make up. I've seen them do it. It's not a pretty picture. ;)

ATSFL
08-17-13, 12:01 AM
haha, not being argumentative here. i genuinely hope he has one or is right; i really do like the wheel but I'm just pensive about just how long it will look great for. easier to just get a black leatherette one I think.

Hoosier Daddy
08-17-13, 12:15 AM
haha, not being argumentative here. i genuinely hope he has one or is right; i really do like the wheel but I'm just pensive about just how long it will look great for. easier to just get a black leatherette one I think.
No, I meant he didn't have an ATS wheel because he doesn't have an ATS.

If the material is as good as Ford's Alcantera (I doubt the ATS wheels are real suede for the reasons you alluded to), it can hold up very well. I'm going on 2 years with a Boss 302 wheel and its like new. We do always wash our hands before driving in any car and don't eat in any of our cars so that could be a variable. I REALLY like the feel and grip of Alcantera so was going to replace the leather in the ATS but after seeing one in pictures, I don't like how it LOOKS and by that I mean the contrast between the black hole like Alcantera and the very high gloss spokes and switches. The Boss 302 wheel does not have any high gloss surfaces and has contrasting silver semi-matte spokes. I know that's just a personal taste thing but suspect some people might find themselves in the same situation which is why I mention it.

thebigjimsho
08-17-13, 06:36 AM
Well, I did put 46,000 miles on a CTS-V with a swayde wheel and shifter. No pilling and easy to clean with water and a tiny bit of mild soap. It looked and felt brand new even with all those miles.

I doubt they changed the magic formula from CTS to ATS...

ATSFL
08-17-13, 03:25 PM
i might do it then, just need someone to give me a part number for the wheel harness with the paddles. i hear the wheel is a bit thicker too, which I like the feel of.

Well, I did put 46,000 miles on a CTS-V with a swayde wheel and shifter. No pilling and easy to clean with water and a tiny bit of mild soap. It looked and felt brand new even with all those miles.

I doubt they changed the magic formula from CTS to ATS...

thebigjimsho
08-18-13, 10:18 PM
i might do it then, just need someone to give me a part number for the wheel harness with the paddles. i hear the wheel is a bit thicker too, which I like the feel of.

Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac Parts and he can get you whatever you need...

roadpie4u
11-08-13, 02:22 PM
So I have the Suede steering wheel (without paddles) ready to be installed by the dealer when it goes in for an oil change. The wheel is a little thicker than the stock leather (it feels).

To answer questions, it does NOT come with the switch panels that came on the factory steering wheel or airbag. The switchgear is swapped during installation to the suede wheel. I don't have a schematic handy, but I'm guessing it has the heating elements and such (it appears to). I'm guessing as there is only one part number, the wiring for the heated element is just ignored if your car doesn't have the winter package.

I also got the 6spd boot!
Before:
After:

Now I agree with concerns of "its not shiny and we have all of this piano black and chrome". I totally see it - the suede boot stands out something fierce - but its not a bad thing. Once you put your hands on it, the "standing out" makes it unique. I've had the boot on there for a week now and staring at it every day. Now the only thing annoying me is the fact that I want the console lid/armrest in suede as well in order to cut down on all of the different materials.

The boot/knob is easy to install - takes ten minutes.

roadpie4u
11-26-13, 06:01 PM
Finally got the Suede wheel installed. The dealer quoted 1 hr to swap the wheel and controls/airbag over. I'm keeping the old wheel (and boot) just incase.

I love the feel of it - but if you have the winter package it does *not* have a provision for a heating element! I wish GM had made that clear before ordering it because the picture does not reflect this, and even the dealer didn't know!

Additionally, as it is an aftermarket part *and* technically an electrical component, it cannot be returned. Had I known I was ditching the heated aspect off the bat, I might have passed on both the suede wheel and boot and would have definitely considered waiting till after winter.

lsfourwheeler
05-28-14, 09:34 PM
I recently installed the suede steering wheel and I love it! The install is simple and is an easy job for the home mechanic. The install does take about 30 minutes because you have to remove the buttons and airbag from the original wheel, but it's definitely worth it. I can't say now if it holds up well over time, but the quality of the (fake) suede is very good. Also, I highly recommend purchasing both the suede steering wheel and shift knob together because otherwise the very different textures kinda throw you off a bit.

ikireland
05-29-14, 01:18 AM
Haven't read through the whole thread.....but in case people are wondering.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/525425-paddle-shift-retrofit-complete.html

rustybear3
05-29-14, 09:41 AM
According to my dealer, the suede inserts on the new CTS is actually a form of micro suede (man made) so that it is washable. I wonder if these so called suede wheels are the same material? Real suede would get dirty pretty fast and would be hard to clean IMO. Do not like the look or feel at all.....certainly would never pay extra for it!