: ATS 2.5L Luxury (Rental) - Some Impressions

Chuck C
05-13-13, 02:19 PM
I recently rented a lovely ATS 2.5L Luxury through Enterprise at LAX for five days. The vehicle, a Silver Coast Metallic example with black leather interior, had approx 8,500 miles on the odometer. As I drove the car, I reflected back on all of the feedback I've read over the last several months here on the forums. Some Impressions:

- Handling & Braking: What more is there to say - the car handled like a dream - so crisp, and the brakes were incredible. It was fun to take some hairpin turns around the winding roads headed toward the Montecito hiking trails. The brake system reminded me a bit of a Ferrari F430 I drove at the Exotics Racing track in Vegas - gradual, firm, short pedal travel, and powerful when needed. Coming from a pedestrian car (Altima), I hope I haven't over-exaggerated.

- Engine performance: As others have mentioned, the 2.5L was more than adequate. The exhaust note was actually quite nice! I had some fun playing with the manually controlled automatic shifter...definitely able to find highway passing power when shifting down a gear or two. MPG readout did not budge from 23.9 despite the adventurous, dare I say, car magazine-tester style of driving.

- The Silver Coast Metallic grew on me - it's sort of a pewter color that tended toward gold; it's almost the color that worn gold jewelry experiences as the rhodium plating wears. The black interior was not as boring as I thought it would be, although the graphics on the aluminum trim pieces were a bit tacky as other have mentioned. Overall, the black was very sporty in appearance.

- The 17" polished wheels were really sharp and, in my opinion, an appropriate size for a vehicle in this class. If you're cost- and weight savings- conscious, this size is perfect.

- CUE: It was frustrating especially for climate control settings. As others have observed, it's easy to mis-tap when in motion. Still, it's cool-looking and became a little easier to use over the course of the trip. GM - please make this more user-friendly! I actually thought the DIC was very nicely integrated into the car - great graphics, color, font choice - just pleasing overall.

- Headlamps: I thought that the standard halogens could be brighter, anyone else agree?

- Cool minor features: I liked that you could toggle cruise control up or down in increments of 5mph by depressing the button firmly. I also liked the ~one gallon cubby in the trunk.

Overall, this handsomely-styled car was very fun to drive. I even had difficulty parting with it. By the way, in crazy-congested L.A., I did not spot a single ATS besides mine! C'mon SoCal!

73JPS
05-13-13, 05:40 PM
Nice review! I think the Silver Coast Metallic is very good colour: if I had thought it would match the Morello Red interior I wanted, I may have got that colour.

Trade in the Altima: pick up an ATS! :)

Chuck C
05-13-13, 06:26 PM
Nice review! I think the Silver Coast Metallic is very good colour: if I had thought it would match the Morello Red interior I wanted, I may have got that colour.

Trade in the Altima: pick up an ATS! :)

Only ten more months on my current lease ;)

Rongotti
05-14-13, 11:07 PM
I definitely agree about the headlights :( not a fan! Good review sir, we will welcome you with open arms when you are ready to take the plunge :)