: 2007 SRX burns oil

mikeash14
05-13-13, 12:25 PM
Hi! I am new here and wondering if I could find some help.
I bought a used 2007 Caddy SRX. We did an oil change immediately and changed to synthetic. After about 7000kms my RPMs started dropping to almost 0 as I was driving through the city. I was constantly losing power. Did not think to check the oil due to being naive and thinking we had a new vehicle, no lights displayed etc; but when we did the dipstick was dry. It burned almost 5 liters of oil. No leaks, no black smoke out of the exhaust. Does anyone have suggestions as to what we could do? What are the possible culprits?
Also, when vehicle is at a standstill I can barely turn the wheel. No owners manual with vehicle. Could someone give me a quick rundown on power steering fluid? We checked it when vehicle was off and it did not show up on stick.
Please pardon my lack of knowledge, I appreciate all the help.

glake89
05-13-13, 12:39 PM
Do a search (on search this forum) for oil use, but don't get scared. Keep an eye on oil level, a small price to pay for a great ride. Add PS fluid to line on dipstick. Come back for any question, and :welcome:

john parkinson
05-13-13, 02:01 PM
sounds exactly like my issue i have a 2008 and it did the same thing> did anyone come up with a fix for you?

----------

wht is ps fluid?

glake89
05-13-13, 03:46 PM
Power steering fluid.

conedoctor
05-13-13, 04:25 PM
In a pinch engine, tranny or hydraulic fluid would work to get you going.

mikeash14
05-13-13, 04:40 PM
not yet, my grandpa was a gm mechanic for 50 years, he thought EGR valve might be plugged but someone else said the Caddy SRX does not have one??? He also said to get a cylinder compression check. I am new and learning to navigate this site, not sure how to search for things yet. I will let you know if I come up with anything. We are kind of stumped.

repnatl
05-13-13, 05:20 PM
You are correct the srx does not have an Egr valve.

TimRSRX777
05-15-13, 01:38 PM
From what I have read on this the v6 is susceptible to excessive oil consumption if it was improperly broken in when new. Sounds like the remedy is getting the rings replaced. Does your vehicle have an extended warranty? I would talk to a Caddy dealer and see if you are still covered.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-13, 08:39 PM
mikeash14,
Welcome to the forum! We're sorry that this oil consumption issue on your SRX is what brings you in. I noticed that you are using kilometers as your unit of measure - are you writing from outside of the United States? If so, I would be happy to get you information on how to contact customer service for your region should you decide you need further assistance.
Kindest regards,
Sarah
Cadillac Customer Care

mikeash14
05-19-13, 05:15 PM
I bought the vehicle used. No warranty. We are from Manitoba Canada and it came from eastern Canada. I still have not figured out the issue. I LOVE my caddy and could not see myself driving anything else but I would by lying to say I was not disappointed in the oil consumption. I would love further assistance but I am worried what it will cost to fix this. GM quoted me $450 just to run some diagnostics-no fixes. We thought about doing a leak down test as well. My steering is also getting worse, I cant turn it when its not moving-PS fluid is good.

1BadCadSTS
05-19-13, 05:21 PM
New rings and a valve job.