: Sunroof issue

mechevar
05-13-13, 09:19 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if this is normal/expected behavior. With the sunroof open and traveling at higher speeds (above 40 MPH), attempting to close the sunroof doesn't work. The sunroof reaches the wind deflector, then goes backward a bit and stops. The only way to get the sunroof to completely close is to use my hand to press down on the wind deflector until the sunroof passes where the wind deflector stops.

romanats
05-13-13, 10:38 AM
that does not sound normal it seems to be some sensor issue it reaches a sertain point and then goes back. How about when the car is at stan still ?

MD-11
05-13-13, 11:12 AM
had a loaner that did the same figured the pinch sensor was set to low there might be a setting the dealer can change

gfxbt
05-13-13, 12:26 PM
Yea, I'd talk to the dealer. As previously suggested, my guess is a sensor is either bad or improperly configured. It sounds like the sunroof thinks a hand or something is in the way and because of that, refuses to close. Probably be an easy enough fix.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-13-13, 06:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if this is normal/expected behavior. With the sunroof open and traveling at higher speeds (above 40 MPH), attempting to close the sunroof doesn't work. The sunroof reaches the wind deflector, then goes backward a bit and stops. The only way to get the sunroof to completely close is to use my hand to press down on the wind deflector until the sunroof passes where the wind deflector stops.

Hello mechevar,

This does sound like an issue I recommend talking with your dealership about. If you need assistance in locating a nearby dealer, please let me know!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

ewired
05-13-13, 10:07 PM
Mine does it. But it's more at higher speeds. In town it always closes. At 90 and at highway speeds you will have to slowdown, it won't close.

It doesn't bother me but I will bring it up at my next service. I can already see how it will go.

Dealer- "We can't duplicate the problem."
Me- "why not?"
Dealer- "we can't drive over the posted speeds."
Me- "lets go, I'll drive"
Dealer- "we're not allowed to bring customers on service drives."

Paperwork will read "working as designed", just like my memory seats that don't work and my reverse tilt function.

Good news being my friend sold me the car. So when I get enough of the service department, I'll bring it to him, and he'll get it fixed for me. I'm just giving the service department a chance to do the right thing but its just not working out.

AtlantaGuy00
05-14-13, 10:09 AM
I have the same issue, exactly as described. But, it doesn't do that every time, even while driving. Mine even will occasionally do it at low speeds. I haven't brought it up with the dealer yet because they won't be able to duplicate the issue while the car is parked.

flycaster
05-14-13, 09:02 PM
...Paperwork will read "working as designed", just like my memory seats that don't work and my reverse tilt function...

Not sure what your seat problem is, but my seats would only allow one key to position seat on entering or starting the ignition. Dealer fixed it when they reprogrammed the seat module.

morphius909
05-16-13, 02:21 PM
yeah mine did that yesterday...closed half way...opened ...repeat...repeat...I finally kept the button pushed and it finally closed.

stevenzoz
05-16-13, 06:49 PM
I've had this issue while parked a few times.

Dougie
05-25-13, 04:06 PM
Just experienced this today while sitting in my driveway. The only way to get the sunroof closed was to hold down the wind deflector until the sunroof passed a certain point. I will definitely be at the dealership on Tuesday.

RacerX_NJ
05-27-13, 12:43 AM
This is the second problem-issue thread that relates to me. I got my ATS in early November. So, my car is probably one of the early production ATS built. Around January I experienced an issue when I would use the tilt position. After opening in the tilt position, when pushing the close button, the sunroof would close but immediately go back to the open tilt position. I would repeat this process for 8 or 9 times with the same end result ... the roof back in the open tilt position. Eventually, it would close (if I would pull over & stop the car, get out, lock it, unlock it, start the car & push the close button ... finally it would close)! One time it would not close in the late evening. So it had to stay tilted open all night.
After this “not closing” problem happened three or four times, I drove right to the dealer (with no notice to them). They immediately brought out a technician to work on the problem. Of course the first time he pushed the close button ... voila, it closed! They took it our back to do a diagnosis. There was nothing that was detected. The dealership was great. But they could do nothing more to address the problem. A week or two later the issue once again happened. I again drove to the dealership. This time they also experienced the same problem. After about 20 minutes they got it closed. Again they did a diagnosis with no problems. The Service Rep at the dealership called Cadillac Corp. to see if there were any complaints about the sunroof. He said they told him there were no complaints at that time. This was probably in February. Any suggestions from a Cadillac Customer Service Rep would be appreciated.

PS. I still love my ATS ... it’s just getting to be challenging.

thebigjimsho
05-27-13, 11:36 AM
Do you have a smartphone? RECORD IT!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-28-13, 01:04 PM
Just experienced this today while sitting in my driveway. The only way to get the sunroof closed was to hold down the wind deflector until the sunroof passed a certain point. I will definitely be at the dealership on Tuesday.

Hello Dougie,

Sorry you are also experiencing this sunroof issue. Please keep us updated after your dealership visit and let us know if there are any questions or concerns we can help you with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-28-13, 04:35 PM
This is the second problem-issue thread that relates to me. I got my ATS in early November. So, my car is probably one of the early production ATS built. Around January I experienced an issue when I would use the tilt position. After opening in the tilt position, when pushing the close button, the sunroof would close but immediately go back to the open tilt position. I would repeat this process for 8 or 9 times with the same end result ... the roof back in the open tilt position. Eventually, it would close (if I would pull over & stop the car, get out, lock it, unlock it, start the car & push the close button ... finally it would close)! One time it would not close in the late evening. So it had to stay tilted open all night.
After this “not closing” problem happened three or four times, I drove right to the dealer (with no notice to them). They immediately brought out a technician to work on the problem. Of course the first time he pushed the close button ... voila, it closed! They took it our back to do a diagnosis. There was nothing that was detected. The dealership was great. But they could do nothing more to address the problem. A week or two later the issue once again happened. I again drove to the dealership. This time they also experienced the same problem. After about 20 minutes they got it closed. Again they did a diagnosis with no problems. The Service Rep at the dealership called Cadillac Corp. to see if there were any complaints about the sunroof. He said they told him there were no complaints at that time. This was probably in February. Any suggestions from a Cadillac Customer Service Rep would be appreciated.

PS. I still love my ATS ... it’s just getting to be challenging.

Hello RacerX_NJ,

Each customer is looked at on a case by case basis. If you private message me with your VIN, I can further research this for you and continue to interact and answer any questions you have.

Regards,

Laura M.

MotoDC
05-28-13, 06:35 PM
I've had the exact same issue!!! :mad: Thankfully only when at speed in the car, and not parked like some others.

@Laura M. at Cadillac Customer Service - PLEASE pass this onto engineering. This is a design flaw in the ATS sunroof. :alchi:

Specifically that big, black mesh wind catch! The problem is clearly that the wind being pushed into the netting when the car is at speed is holding the netting in place when the roof tries to close. It is absolutely the pinch protection that is stopping the sunroof. The car thinks the frame holding the mesh in place is a pinched arm or something. It's too difficult to close it with the wind holding it in place. Good call @MD-11

I love driving with the sunroof open, and in my area I regularly hit over 100Kph. This black mesh mess is way too noisy to use the sunroof at anything more than 40kph, and therefore I'm restricted to using the tilt feature only. Unfortunately I think the dealer is correct. It is likely operating as designed, it's just designed poorly. Not to mention it's ugly as sin!!

Check this out... My ATS with the sunroof open.

I think the ATS sunroof engineers were 80s rap fans... When the sunroof is open it looks exactly like Kid 'N Play!!! :eek:

Seriously tho... I love the ATS, it seems Cadillac just forgot about designing this sunroof air diffuser properly. It frankly would have easier use a standard plastic, veined air diffuser such as (sorry for using the name here) BMW. Check this example out (ignore the red circle):
Sorry... I think this is a VW example... but I think you get the idea. :)

Anyway, sorry for the rant, this issue is my one pet peeve about this car. It's too bad it's so annoying on nice summer days! :) It would be nice if there could be a retro fit produced that could simplify the design and make it a lower profile. I think this would solve most issues.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 10:54 AM
I've had the exact same issue!!! :mad: Thankfully only when at speed in the car, and not parked like some others.

@Laura M. at Cadillac Customer Service - PLEASE pass this onto engineering. This is a design flaw in the ATS sunroof. :alchi:

Specifically that big, black mesh wind catch! The problem is clearly that the wind being pushed into the netting when the car is at speed is holding the netting in place when the roof tries to close. It is absolutely the pinch protection that is stopping the sunroof. The car thinks the frame holding the mesh in place is a pinched arm or something. It's too difficult to close it with the wind holding it in place. Good call @MD-11

I love driving with the sunroof open, and in my area I regularly hit over 100Kph. This black mesh mess is way too noisy to use the sunroof at anything more than 40kph, and therefore I'm restricted to using the tilt feature only. Unfortunately I think the dealer is correct. It is likely operating as designed, it's just designed poorly. Not to mention it's ugly as sin!!

Check this out... My ATS with the sunroof open.

I think the ATS sunroof engineers were 80s rap fans... When the sunroof is open it looks exactly like Kid 'N Play!!! :eek:

Seriously tho... I love the ATS, it seems Cadillac just forgot about designing this sunroof air diffuser properly. It frankly would have easier use a standard plastic, veined air diffuser such as (sorry for using the name here) BMW. Check this example out (ignore the red circle):
Sorry... I think this is a VW example... but I think you get the idea. :)

Anyway, sorry for the rant, this issue is my one pet peeve about this car. It's too bad it's so annoying on nice summer days! :) It would be nice if there could be a retro fit produced that could simplify the design and make it a lower profile. I think this would solve most issues.

Hello MotoDC,

Thanks for sharing this input. I will be sure to be on the lookout for other customers experiencing this issue with their ATS sunroof also. I am happy to hear that you are loving your ATS, minus the sunroof design. I hope you continue to enjoy your Cadillac!

Regards,

Laura M.

netring
05-29-13, 04:23 PM
I just to report my Cadillac ats as having the same issue intermittently. Watching the sunroof close, it seems as if the springs for the wind deflector are stiff enough to cause the sunroof to think its jamming something, such as an arm. I will be going to the dealership on friday to see if there is anything they can do.

rustybear3
05-29-13, 04:52 PM
You guys are making a lot of unwarranted assumptions that this is a design flaw with the screen deflector. I've traveled speeds upwards to 80 mph, and NEVER had a problem with the Sunroof closing at that speed....and I use it now almost every day. Most likely, you guys may have a bad sensor or motor mechanism. Either way, it must be extremely annoying. If it were a design flaw, I believe we'd all experience the same problem. I had a similar problem on my 2008 STS; and that had a hard deflector. Turned out to be a bad sensor that they needed to replace. A competent dealership should be able to solve the problem.

thebigjimsho
05-30-13, 10:20 AM
Ain't gonna hurt nobody. We're just dancin', y'all!