: squealing belts

orandaberg
05-13-13, 08:56 AM
The belts were changed and now the main belt squeals like a bangi. They sprayed belt anti noise but it just comes back. Any ideas. Still in garage. They said if it does not stop they nay have to out the old belt on. Need advice ASAP

----------

The squeal goes away when turning the wheels hard right and left
The noise is comming from the power steering pump. It must have air in it from changing the hose?

----------

Followed the SM instructions fir bleeding air from PS system. All ok now

Whiplash_89
05-13-13, 09:38 AM
I dont think air in the system would cause the belt to sqeal. Maybe they werent installed properly? Too tight or too loose.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 10:27 AM
It has a auto tensioner nothing to adjust maually. The sound is back:( weird part is you spray the belt and the noise goes away till it dries. Follow SM procedure for bleeding air and it goes away. Need to go back and try the SM bleed routine agian.

glake89
05-13-13, 11:41 AM
If you can find it, add some Lucas Power Steering oil. Squealing may be bad tensioner. Try a drop of oil on its bearing.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 12:23 PM
No Access now, all is back on! However I did follow the SM bleeding air sequence and it was quiet as a mouse after we fired it up, then we shut it down and put on the underbelly shield and wheels, sat for a while, lowered the car and started it and the noise came back, I assume if it was a bearing the noise would of stayed even after the bleed sequence?
Incidentally it was the easier bleed where we pumped the brakes 15 times and turn the wheel fully 12 times.
We will try again in the morning but any more advice is appreciated.
I pray its not a bad tensioner, then it has to all come back out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

----------

Power Steering System Bleeding
Important:

• Use clean, new power steering fluid type only. See the Maintenance and Lubrication subsection for fluid specifications. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations.
• Hoses touching the frame, body or engine may cause system noise. Verify that the hoses do not touch any other part of the vehicle.
• Loose connections may not leak, but could allow air into the steering system. Verify that all hose connections are tight.
Important: Power steering fluid level must be maintained throughout bleed procedure.

Fill pump reservoir with fluid to minimum system level, FULL COLD level, or middle of hash mark on cap stick fluid level indicator.
Important: With hydro-boost only, the oil level will appear falsely high if the hydro-boost accumulator is not fully charged. Do not apply the brake pedal with the engine OFF. This will discharge the hydro-boost accumulator.

If equipped with hydro-boost, fully charge the hydro-boost accumulator using the following procedure:
2.1. Start the engine.
2.2. Firmly apply the brake pedal 10-15 times.
2.3. Turn the engine OFF.
Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Key on engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.
Vehicles equipped with hydro-boost systems or longer length power steering hoses may require turns up to 15 to 20 stop to stops.

Verify power steering fluid level per operating specification. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid.
Start the engine. Rotate steering wheel from left to right. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).
Verify the fluid level. Repeat the bleed procedure, if necessary.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 04:39 PM
How do I know if I have hydro-boost ?

glake89
05-13-13, 05:16 PM
Try Google

TimRSRX777
05-13-13, 05:36 PM
Why would squealing belts be symptom of air being in the system? My medium educated guess would be belt tightness either too loose or too tight. which would lead me to suspect the tensioner? Who do you have diagnosing and working on your vehicle? Did you try glake89's suggestion? Sounds to me like you eliminated that even before checking it as a possibility, no wonder you are having issues. Ignoring well meaning suggestions is something thats not exactly wise.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 05:38 PM
I guess this is what it may look like, but I do not see it in the SM?
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Brake-Hydro-Boost-Cadillac-Escalade/dp/B00BMVJYLC

conedoctor
05-13-13, 06:12 PM
We don't have hydroboost, it uses PS pressure instead of engine vacuum.

Wrong belt maybe.

When you do lots of steering the belt heats up and stops slipping, I would say the belt is too long or the auto tensioner is not up to full tension.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 07:05 PM
So actually there is no bleed sequence if you do not have hydro boost, or is it the same sequence, because doing the sequence made the noise go away, so we thought in the morning we would do it again, if it does not work I guess its to remove the resovoir an look at the tensioner

----------

Why would squealing belts be symptom of air being in the system? My medium educated guess would be belt tightness either too loose or too tight. which would lead me to suspect the tensioner? Who do you have diagnosing and working on your vehicle? Did you try glake89's suggestion? Sounds to me like you eliminated that even before checking it as a possibility, no wonder you are having issues. Ignoring well meaning suggestions is something thats not exactly wise.

Because we replaced a power steering hose and lost fluid

conedoctor
05-13-13, 07:10 PM
Turn left then right to bleed, the noise went away because the extra heat in the belt made it stick better, the load on the pump caused more friction on the belt, I would think.

All of my Talons had the same issue and as soon as the belt would heat up it was fine.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 07:18 PM
I did drive it for 45 mins an it never went away, so tomorrow if anything we will put the old belt on for a try.

Whiplash_89
05-13-13, 09:16 PM
Turn left then right to bleed, the noise went away because the extra heat in the belt made it stick better, the load on the pump caused more friction on the belt, I would think.

All of my Talons had the same issue and as soon as the belt would heat up it was fine.
I used to have a talon too, 95 TSi AWD. You?

conedoctor
05-13-13, 11:28 PM
92 TSi AWD
94 TSi AWD
93 TSi AWD
90 DL
91 TSi
93 Laser RS AWD
93 DL
97 TSi AWD

Ya I have issues, good race cars and the 4G63 is one of the best 4 cylinders ever made.

repnatl
05-14-13, 02:32 AM
92 TSi AWD
94 TSi AWD
93 TSi AWD
90 DL
91 TSi
93 Laser RS AWD
93 DL
97 TSi AWD

Ya I have issues, good race cars and the 4G63 is one of the best 4 cylinders ever made.

Very jealous of your collection smallest forced induction I've had was a gtp lol the 4g63 is a beast

Whiplash_89
05-14-13, 05:41 AM
Lol I wasn't expecting a list like that. Im surprised you kept buying them.

orandaberg
05-14-13, 06:56 AM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/orandaberg/20130514_103102_zps966cd6dd.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/orandaberg/media/20130514_103102_zps966cd6dd.jpg.html)
New Belt was rubbing tensioner housing, new belt was the exact same size as old belt
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/orandaberg/20130514_112310_zps1d2b0061.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/orandaberg/media/20130514_112310_zps1d2b0061.jpg.html)
Old belt put back on

conedoctor
05-14-13, 11:02 AM
Big tires make everything better :)

http://youtu.be/kLPWrrvXGuI

Whiplash_89
05-14-13, 11:56 AM
Very nice.

orandaberg
05-14-13, 02:44 PM
Lets keep to the thread:)

conedoctor
05-14-13, 03:22 PM
So if it is the same belt why was it rubbing?

I would say it was too long or short and the tensioner moved to a position it should not be in.

orandaberg
05-14-13, 04:02 PM
we can only assume the new belt was softer and stretched, comparing length it was the same side by side,it was not acdelco it was a gates replacement

conedoctor
05-14-13, 04:12 PM
Keep in mind close is not the same.

If the belt is 1000mm is diameter it is 3140mm long, so lets say your new belt was 3150mm long and side by side can you spot a 1 cm difference? It would end up 3mm bigger in diameter and that could make the difference to hitting stuff.

The belt softness has nothing to with the length.

orandaberg
05-14-13, 04:30 PM
Well then rockauto sent me a inferior belt, nothing I can with the distace, old belt was perfect conditioner anyway

Whiplash_89
05-14-13, 04:33 PM
Problem solved.

orandaberg
05-14-13, 04:42 PM
Garage was kind enough to replace the belt at no charge. I helped him, was not easy to re assemble the fan. All in all it ws a lot of hard work for what they charged

TimRSRX777
05-15-13, 12:27 PM
Hopefully you got a refund on all that bleeding time they did? Not sure why /how anyone could think bleeding air out of the system would affect the squealing.

orandaberg
05-15-13, 04:29 PM
I sent rockauto pictures and description and all info on the car, got one of those copy paste replies to provide info about the car and description, but I already did, no point I have to pay postage so not worth it from abroad.
If it was not for the SM it may still have been in the garage! It says to remove the resovoir, when we did thats when we saw the rubbing