: 95-99 Engine Beauty Cover - Intake bolts Not lining up

maeng9981
05-13-13, 06:54 AM
After finishing up my second Northstar project, I now am at the final step: put the beauty cover back on! Although the very last step decided to give me trouble. The intake bolts used for the mounting of the beauty cover don't line up as well as they had been before. 1 bolt is seriously out of alignment and I cannot put the cover back due to that bolt.

Note that these bolts were perfectly fine prior to disassembly; and they were stored in a container so there couldn't have been other force bending it. Are these each assigned to specific location? Anyone out there experienced similar situation after engine/intake work? (I know mtflight has similar problem with his intake bolts)

Not sure if I should get new bolts.. Or something is off with my installation?

Also, I have been using a long 3/8 reinforced hose to replace the clogged steel purge line. As much as I like the hose for being one-piece, I'd like to put the metal line back in service, as well as the heated throttle body, for aesthetic issues. Although on the section where it crosses the bank 2, there is something that's clogged up so bad, probably the factory stop leak tabs. I've tried wire hangers, spraying brake cleaner/carb cleaner into it, compressed air, with no success. Is this pretty much junk yard time, or is there any way to possibly dissolve/dislodge the clog? I am out of ideas here.

The good news is that the engine is running well so far. I initially had what sounded like lifter tick, but it has gone away. Lifters and cam lobes were visually all in near perfect condition. I still need to bleed brakes and replace trans fluid, then I will be doing road tests.

When I first started it after priming lubrication system, as soon as the engine started, it started racing to redline and I had to turn it off quick. That was the biggest "oh $h!t!" moment during this project, but I found that the cruise control cable was "stuck" because of the air filter box I put temporarily.

Not to mention that I also tried to have the first test run session without trans cooler hooked up, so after that rpm race I had good amount of trans fluid sprayed on the engine bay. Of course it found its way to the exhaust manifold and it's smoking quite a lot when the engine runs for a few minutes... I will have to let it either smoke it off or wash it maybe. I hope it doesn't catch fire...

Ranger
05-13-13, 11:29 AM
Swap the bolts around. Maybe on was bent a tad before removal. I don't think they are critical anyway. If it doesn't line up just right, persuade it a little.

I'm sure you purge line clog is sealant tab residue. If it's been off the car it may be hard by now. I'd soften it up and blow it out with compressed air or rod it out with something like a modified sink snake.

vincentm
05-13-13, 12:42 PM
I have this same issue, after replacing my starter the damn things are off. Making it hard for my cover to slide over them, im just too damn lazy to take care of it, but i know i need to.

maeng9981
05-15-13, 03:32 AM
So all the mini trouble aside, I finally had a road test done. Unfortunately, everything seems to be in working order :D No more head gasket trouble, how sad....! NOT!

mtflight came over and helped bleeding brakes, after that we went for a test drive. Driving to the gas station nearby was fun......tires were constantly making this weird noise, sort of like turning the steering wheel on the garage floor not moving... I thought it'd just be because it's been sitting for a while, and I guessed right, the noise was gone after just a few miles. Put it up to 45mph, saw TCC engaging, that's good... and then got some gas to replenish the 2 year old gas in the tank. And got a quick car wash that was just next to the gas station Nothing like the dust accumulated, and bird poo left for 2 years.

After leaving the car wash I did what I did when I first repaired my Seville: floor it! It's got enough idling around the engine was probably thirsty. So why not some more gasoline into the cylinders...nothing broke. That's good. Then I came back to my house, temp gauge saying 197 degrees, and no more tire noises... Success!

I grabbed marvel mystery oil just in case if the lifter tick does not go away, but ended up not putting it in. It's completely gone and is not possible to hear even in cold start session. The spilled transmission fluid burning smoke from the exhaust manifold is gone....almost. I can still smell it, but it does not smoke like it did before. Intake bolts are still not lining up, but my fingers need some rest.

I still need to put the body front braces back, need to change transmission fluid, and bleed the brakes again since the brake pedal doesn't quite feel right....yet. Then I will be happy in my two white Northstar Cadillacs. Oh how I missed the hood ornament...

vincentm
05-15-13, 10:20 AM
So all the mini trouble aside, I finally had a road test done. Unfortunately, everything seems to be in working order :D No more head gasket trouble, how sad....! NOT!

mtflight came over and helped bleeding brakes, after that we went for a test drive. Driving to the gas station nearby was fun......tires were constantly making this weird noise, sort of like turning the steering wheel on the garage floor not moving... I thought it'd just be because it's been sitting for a while, and I guessed right, the noise was gone after just a few miles. Put it up to 45mph, saw TCC engaging, that's good... and then got some gas to replenish the 2 year old gas in the tank. And got a quick car wash that was just next to the gas station Nothing like the dust accumulated, and bird poo left for 2 years.

After leaving the car wash I did what I did when I first repaired my Seville: floor it! It's got enough idling around the engine was probably thirsty. So why not some more gasoline into the cylinders...nothing broke. That's good. Then I came back to my house, temp gauge saying 197 degrees, and no more tire noises... Success!

I grabbed marvel mystery oil just in case if the lifter tick does not go away, but ended up not putting it in. It's completely gone and is not possible to hear even in cold start session. The spilled transmission fluid burning smoke from the exhaust manifold is gone....almost. I can still smell it, but it does not smoke like it did before. Intake bolts are still not lining up, but my fingers need some rest.

I still need to put the body front braces back, need to change transmission fluid, and bleed the brakes again since the brake pedal doesn't quite feel right....yet. Then I will be happy in my two white Northstar Cadillacs. Oh how I missed the hood ornament...

:thumbsup: Awesome!

stoveguyy
05-15-13, 10:22 AM
Don't forget to take out the side cover drain plug when you do the trans