: Aftermarket warranty

Hacksaw122
05-13-13, 04:50 AM
I recently purchased a 2003 Cadillac Seville STS with 80k miles. Before purchasing it had a GM master mechanic with over 20 years experience do a complete inspection of the car.

Does anybody have experience with or can you recommend a third party / after market warranty?

I have found several but am not sure which would be the best with the least loop holes.

Any recommendations or avoidances?

I live in Kentucky if that matters for the warranty.

Thanks,
Hacksaw122

MrHolland
05-13-13, 10:13 AM
Do you play the lottery or gamble??? That's what you're essentially doing by purchasing repair insurance. However much the warranty costs, I would set that money aside and save it for future repairs. If you set aside $3000 (or however much the warranty cost) there's a chance you may have some money left over in 3-4 years (length of the warranty). If you buy the warranty now, I guarantee you wont have any money left over in the end. JMHO....

bigm57ict
05-13-13, 10:15 AM
:yeah:

You could have a catastrophic failure and make out okay with a warranty, but usually, the warranty provider is the one making money.
Better to self-insure with a savings account.

Submariner409
05-13-13, 11:11 AM
Yup ^^^ Bought the car in 11/05. Still had 1.5 years original warranty. In '06 began putting $50/month in my money market, keeping a computer spreadsheet log. There's $4400 in there right now - dedicated to the car. BUT the car has needed nothing other than normal maintenance - oil, filters, brakes, tires, a serpentine belt, coolant - nothing that an "extended warranty" would cover ............. Granted: Others have had VERY different (not good, either) experiences with their cars.

Ranger
05-13-13, 12:20 PM
Agreed. Why pay now for repairs that you may or may not need in the future. If you do a search, you'll find some lengthy discussions about aftermarket warranties. One was even commented on by a guy who sells them.

EChas3
05-13-13, 08:53 PM
It's Risk Management; i.e. limiting your potential loss.

Overall, those companies make money. Averaged over all makes & models of cars, the probabilities are you'd spend less without the extended warranty.

Having owned a '98 STS, 2006 STS & 2007 STS, I'd definately consider it. Would a $3,000 repair change your lifestyle?

orconn
05-13-13, 10:29 PM
I would think that a warranty that would cover a 10 year old Northstar Seville STS would have a premium of more than $3000. I would read the fine print very carefully before spending that kind of money on a potentially headache ridden warranty on any car that old ..... much less a Northstar Cadillac!

Ranger
05-13-13, 10:47 PM
Amen!

talismandave
05-14-13, 12:44 AM
:yeah:

You could have a catastrophic failure and make out okay with a warranty, but usually, the warranty provider is the one making money.
Better to self-insure with a savings account.

Same as any insurance...auto, homeowner, etc.

truckinman
05-14-13, 04:10 AM
I didn't get a warranty for my 05 STS. It had 82k when we got it and the best one the dealer had to offer wasn't going to cover more than the next 20k miles but for 3k more on the price of the car. I didn't find that worth it and a lot of repairs I can fix myself.

But when we bought the wife's '10 Toyota Rav4 with just 23k miles at already a price of 25k, we went ahead and got the additional 100k mile warranty from the dealer, so now it's covered until 123k. But being a Toyota, I've got my doubts we will ever need it anyway lol

Dadillac
05-14-13, 02:15 PM
I cannot speak for all aftermarket warranties. But some, if not all, are limited to the value of the total of the payments. So if your extended warranty cost $4,000 that is the absolute most the warranty will pay out. That is over the life of the warranty. They don't tell you that up front. So basically you gain nothing by having the warranty. Only the warranty company makes out when you don't make a claim during the warranty period. Take the money that the warranty would cost and pay it to yourself. That is the only way to do it and you end up ahead

Don

talismandave
05-14-13, 11:29 PM
I am up to 170% of what I paid for mine and am scheduling another appointment soon.:bouncy:

I have to say, you have to be careful who you get a warranty from. They are only as good as the company that backs them.

I have had them with every used car I could get them on. So far on all of them combined I am probably at about 85-90% of money spent on them. Part of that was my own fault for being cheap and getting them with a deductible. Now I go no deductible and I am much happier. I buy only the best and pay well for them. If the dealer won't barter on price I move on to the next dealer for the warranty. You have until the original warranty expires and can buy the warranty anywhere, not just when and where you buy the car.

Even if I weren't ahead on this car, I would buy it on the next car. As I stated before, no different than fire, life or medical insurance, never unhappy to not have a claim!

Koooop
05-15-13, 03:58 PM
National Auto Care (800) 526 8678

I have their best warranty on my 2007 Trailblazer SS, cost $1,500 for Three years and 50,000 miles (out to 94,000 miles). Covers damn near everything on the car, used it within 90 days to replace the lower control arm bushings ($650 repair) cost me the $100 deductible. I also had a bad oil pan gasket replaced but I managed to put that through in the last weeks of the remaining factory warranty that was barely intact at the time I bought the car ($1,800 repair).

I like warranties!

cadillac kevin
05-15-13, 04:04 PM
National Auto Care (800) 526 8678

I have their best warranty on my 2007 Trailblazer SS, cost $1,500 for Three years and 50,000 miles (out to 94,000 miles). Covers damn near everything on the car, used it within 90 days to replace the lower control arm bushings ($650 repair) cost me the $100 deductible. I also had a bad oil pan gasket replaced but I managed to put that through in the last weeks of the remaining factory warranty that was barely intact at the time I bought the car ($1,800 repair).

I like warranties!

Koop, how do you like the trailblazer? My dad has been contemplating buying either one of those or a 90s suburban.

Koooop
05-15-13, 06:59 PM
TBSS gets horrible MPG, but it's not a giant pig like the Suburban. But I came from a CTS-V so it sucks. Overall it drives pretty good for a station wagon, the handling is excellent, the power is very stout, the ride is not as harsh as the V1 but the rough is more noticeable since its not a party to drive. In the world of small SUV's the SRT-8 is the top of the food chain and the new SRT-8 can tow as well. This Chevy is a very good choice, but it's an overweight truck anyway you slice it. Meh, it'll tow my toys and fit my family for a run to the River. It was the best choice at the time I bought it.

ThumperPup
05-18-13, 06:04 PM
Read the fine print on any warranty u get forget about what it covers consintrate on what it does not cover when reading it

If u are dead set in a service contract go to a high volume dealership service department and ask a service wrighter for the name of a company that GIves him the least trouble when it comes to getting a claim approved

MrHolland
05-18-13, 09:24 PM
That's a great idea!!!!

Koooop
05-19-13, 01:09 AM
Or just use the one I recommended since I already did that type if research.

The company I suggested did lower control arm bushings for me, bushings I tell you!

talismandave
05-19-13, 01:11 AM
That is a great idea. I am so happy with the company I am with I will keep using them. The only time a claim was held up was for my rear speaker replacement. The first time they replaced them no problem, the second time they sent an adjuster out to make sure the system hadn't been modified. Took an extra day, but covered the rental car so really not a problem for me.
System has too much bass, and when you go from 30mph up it automatically increases it more......oops! I personally lay the blame squarely on Dr Dre.:yup: