Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Advice or tips on trans install

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  orange57 
#1 ·
So my trans is on its way out......at first I would notice when I would put the pedal to the floor the car wasn't moving with the speed of the engine. It shifts way to hard sometimes and Now its to the point where im getting a bad vibration every so often from what feels like the torque converter area....and now its like the engine is misfiring at idle and I have to keep my foot on the gas slightly to keep it running right....but if I put it in manual mode and keep the gear down and the rpms up alil it runs fine unless I push the pedal hard then it sputters. My car has 130k miles on it and I picked up a trans and torque converter for 100 bucks with only 30k miles on it. Has anyone tackled this before and can offer any tips as im doing this off the ground with a jack and jack stands.

#3 ·
I did the trans about a year ago. As danny said, the top two bolts are miserable to get out and in. My arms were really bruised. the top two bolts, well at least the passenger side, also clamp a bracket that the wiring harness is ziptied too, so it has to be fully removed. Give yourself a weekend to do the job. If you search I had some pics in my thread. I did like 95% of the work alone, really only had help getting the trans off the bed of a pickup truck.

#6 ·
Your owners manual should state the qty. You need to check it for proper fill afterwards. In order to check it, you need the car and trans warmed up, engine idling, and check that fluid comes up to the bottom of the fill hole on the drivers side of the trans. This is a bitch to do because the exhaust runs right in front of it.

The trans I got was from the dealer and had a factory fill, only needed a check to verify.

Also, make sure to flush the trans cooler with a few quarts of new fluid. You don't want any of the old stuff flowing back into the trans.

#7 ·
Im almost to the point of wanting to get rid of this car....this is by far the worst experience with a transmission ive done....ive got everything unbolted and got all the wires out of the which is a freakn pain....and I still cant get this thing to back out....

#8 ·
Shoot some pics, let me see what you have going on. This trans was actually one of the easiest I've done. Although I've only removed 6 transmissions.

----------

Did you remove the torque converter to to flex plate bolts? The top two bolts holding the trans to the engine, are those completely out, and by completely out I mean sitting on the floor next to you out. Those bolts also hold a wiring harness bracket in place, if they are just backed out and not full removed then you are hanging the trans on the harness. How many bolts total did you remove that hold the trans to the engine. I can verify thru alldata a little bit later the correct count.

Matt

#11 ·
On the front of the trans on the drivers side there is a small plastic cover thay is just clipped in, remove that. Then rotate the engine by the crank untill you feel a fastener. There are three of them. On the bottom of the trans near the front there is a small sheetmetal circular cover that also is just clipped in, remove it too, it gives you a small view in, not much. You need to hold the crank steady while you loosen the tc bolts, or have a friend hold it.

With the tc bolted up still I don't think there is enough room to slide the trans back to clear the shaft from the tc and not hit the fire wall. Shoot me an email, orange57 at gmail if you have more questions. I can respond to that quicker than the forum while at work.

----------

Remove intake remove starter threes your access.
I don't think that will get you to the tc to flex plate bolts. Also, a lot more work than necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.