: No oil on dipstick

Sackett
05-12-13, 07:04 PM
I've had no issues with oil consumption problem on my SRX until now. The oil change place noted no oil on the dipstick. I'm at 46k miles. I'm concerned now :). Question: does this issue affect other GM vehicles with the 3.6 or just this one? Reason being I may use this as the impetus to move on and my wife really likes the Enclave.

repnatl
05-12-13, 07:25 PM
Yes most of the 3.6 had the oil consumption issue due to initial engine break in. Only way to fix it is rebuild or replace. The piston rings and valve stem seals are the main issue.

08SRX
05-12-13, 07:51 PM
Keep a close eye on it, that's all. Always keep the oil level in the acceptable range and check with every fill-up. BTW: Buick Enclave has the same engine and therefore, has the same issue.

Ranger007
05-13-13, 09:38 AM
Sackett - do a search on this forum for 'dipstick' - message from WildSioux (Apr 2012) or me, Ranger007

You'll find that it isn't easy trying to determine the amount of oil in your engine. I stand by my post (back then) that the wrong dipstick is in my 3.6, but Cadillac says it is the right one - I just tried to order a new one a couple of months ago and the one they shipped to the dealer is the one already in my vehicle. Wrong!

Mine (60,000 mi) doesn't use a lot of oil, all of the time, maybe only 1 1/2 quarts in 3,000 miles. Sometimes a quart more, sometimes less, - go figure!

I'm still not comfortable checking my own oil with this dipstick and certainly not comfortable with someone else checking it. I just go with my best guess, and try to not overfill it, because I certainly don't want it to go too low. Can you say 'timing chain'?

If someone has found an accurate measuring method I would like to hear it.

Best of luck!

Bill

conedoctor
05-13-13, 11:32 AM
Yes most of the 3.6 had the oil consumption issue due to initial engine break in. Only way to fix it is rebuild or replace. The piston rings and valve stem seals are the main issue.

Really?

Do you know the global production numbers on these engines vs issues?

If you don't have data please don't make statements like this, we all know you hate your car and are mad because you bought a used SRX that the first owner abused, but your statement is just untrue.

Yes some of the V6's had oil consumption issues, most of the owners here are only here because they have a V6 and it ran out of oil or was using oil so they came here to post and for resources, the other ????? V6 owners can't use a computer or have no issues. Yes I have read on other forums (Lambda) but again people come here to complain about it not post their V6 is working perfect so the forums are not always the best place to gather numbers or facts. That being said I don't have the numbers either but stop scaring people and lets try and educate them instead.

The engine is used in over 20 cars and SUV's around the world, if most of them failed don't you think GM would have to deal with it or maybe they just covered it up, the truth is out there right....

repnatl
05-13-13, 02:57 PM
Don't really care to research the production numbers but as I was talking with the service writer at the caddy dealership out here even he admits the 3.6 is garbage. They deal with the oil consumption issues weekly no matter what vehicle its in. It is very well documented on here and from several other people that the 3.6 eats through oil. Nobody on here complains about the V8 doing this. Yes I hate this piece of junk but so do the other mechanics that deal with the 3.6. Yes there is plenty of money to be made CONSTANTLY working on them but that is only good for mechanics and not the everyday consumer.

RippyPartsDept
05-13-13, 03:16 PM
again... nobody brings their car into the dealer when it's running perfectly just to stop in and let them know everything's just fine

same as how forums are often mostly just complaints and problems ... those without problems don't seek out the forum to make note of their trouble-free car

if i had to guess i'd say that less than 5% of them had major failure and something like 25% have oil consumption issues (for whatever reason... break-in, neglect, etc) that can lead to major failure if you don't check your oil level often enough with the dipstick and add oil as needed in-between oil changes

conedoctor
05-13-13, 03:51 PM
So you know a mechanic who see lots of broken engines?

I know a doctor who sees lots of sick people....

Not trying to pick a fight but just saying.

TimRSRX777
05-13-13, 04:59 PM
repnatl, "the caddy dealership out here even he admits the 3.6 is garbage." If these engines were actually considered garbage by Caddy dealerships, wouldn't it have made sense for Cadillac to stop putting them in so many cars? Any engine that's abused will have issues and from what I have seen on this forum, alot of these engines are abused either out of ignorance or carelessness.

repnatl
05-13-13, 05:18 PM
No i meant the service writer and some of the mechanics that worked there said they were garbage of course cadillac as a whole won't admit that. Most manufactures have well known issues with their vehicles and typically issue tsb's status that fact like the gm electric power steering issues cam accuator issues in the ecotec motors drl on cts and srx 3 valve spark plugs on fords etc i can go on and on i mainly work on gm vehicles so i know a good bit of issues they have. I know nothing will happen with these issues it almost always falls on the consumer no matter who abused neglected or even very well maintained the vehicle its all a matter of chance. But there are plenty of oil consumption cases even with very low mileage and very good maintenance records again its all chance. And he is right nobody comes to a forum to praise a vehicle we are on here for help and or complaints. This is the craigslist rant section of gm lol.

Sackett
05-14-13, 06:26 PM
Dealer has agreed to run a consumption test. We'll see how that goes.

rlh6805
05-14-13, 08:15 PM
These engines suck

Sackett
05-31-13, 08:01 AM
Currently undergoing an official consumption test. Good news is no consumption noted in first 900 miles. Will just have to keep a close eye on it.

conedoctor
05-31-13, 09:18 AM
Well now the engine knows your watching ;)

Sackett
05-31-13, 03:13 PM
Yah. How often are you guys changing oil? When the dummy warning tells you? By miles? Other?

Stillrollin
05-31-13, 06:01 PM
Yah. How often are you guys changing oil? When the dummy warning tells you? By miles? Other?
Bingo! I haven't had a lot of oil consumption on my '08 SRX V6 in the 25,000 miles I have driven it since buying it used in early 2011.
Of course, I make it a point to check the oil level once per week and note the level after a oil change. I made the decision to NOT follow
the oil life "suggestions" the DIC sends, even before I bought the car since I made the decision to limit miles between changes to 4500
on my '07 Trailblazer SS which also had an overly optimistic view of oil life usefulness.
I consider this engine to be "adequate" as a power plant for a vehicle weighing 4500 pounds or so.
Do I think it is a good replacement for the "ancient" cast iron 3.8 liter turbocharged V6? NO!

1BadCadSTS
05-31-13, 07:36 PM
Is no level sensor for the 3.6

RippyPartsDept
05-31-13, 08:52 PM
The oil LIFE monitor is actually very accurate and scientifically proven. Oil LEVEL is a different thing altogether.

Stillrollin
05-31-13, 11:20 PM
The oil LIFE monitor is actually very accurate and scientifically proven. Oil LEVEL is a different thing altogether.

Oh yes! This is particularly true if you don't drive your vehicles hard.
I drive mine like I have stolen them and in the SRX's case, my experience has shown that it will consume oil if driven
very far or often above 3000 rpms in mountainous terrain.

newsrxowner
06-01-13, 01:15 PM
I drive mine like I have stolen them and in the SRX's case, my experience has shown that it will consume oil if driven

I go by the oil life indicator. I put about 400 miles a week on the car and I have found it does a good job. Now talk about oil consumption I am adding about 1/2 quart of mobile one every 1000 miles or so which is better then my wife's 2001 deville which is 2 quarts every 1000. Now some talked about the low oil indicator in the 3.6 or lack there of. The deville has a N* in it and if it does get too low the dummy indicator comes on. Not so on the 3.6. It would be nice if it had one.

glake89
06-01-13, 01:30 PM
SM says that V6 has an oil level sensor. Threads into pan from bottom.

2broke4this
06-01-13, 10:25 PM

I've only had mine for a month and a half, but there certainly seems to be something with the mountains... or the highway... or both. I drove mine to Nashville and back last weekend (about 1300 miles), and it chugged through 3.5 quarts! That said, it poured smoke out the exhaust on the way home, so I'm thinking there's something a little out of the ordinary going on! Dealership marked the dipstick this week and are having me drive it to do a consumption test. I guess my log of oil addition and the fact that I haven't even put 2k miles on it isn't good enough! I don't understand how a car that seems to be such a mess still seems to run and drive so darn well!

PJ1520
06-02-13, 05:17 PM
Sackett.....were these the same guys who changed the oil the time before the level was low? Maybe these oil change guys did not replace the spent oil with the right amount. That happened to me, but I happened to check the motor oil level myself about an hour later. Two quarts low!!!!

----------

I do not mean to sound disrespectful. But the comments in this thread demonstrate a serios misunderstanding of the oil life monitor, the oil level, and the oil pressure......the oil life monitor is indeed accurate as was stated, the level can only be measured on the dipstick, and if the low oil pressure is present you are already in deep doo doo.

Stillrollin
06-03-13, 12:33 AM
I ALWAYS check the oil level in my SRX after hang the oil changed as soon as I get a cool down in my garage. In this way I KNOW what the proper levee should be the NEXT time I check it. At the same time,I also ALWAYS check the torque setting on my wheel lug nuts any time they are removed for any reason.
I have found some service techs use a "preset" air wrench to tighten the nuts and have had at times needed to put a three foot pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar to get them loose. Of course this is ALWAYS the last time I ever use that shop.
Regarding low oil pressure, GM considers 25 psi at idle to be sufficient oil pressure.
I personally don't agree with this assumption and consider it to be contributory to the stretched timing chains and worn out sprockets that others have experienced. I also plan to continue to use my own mileage standards which are less than that which the oil life monitor suggests because I KNOW that driving extended periods of time over 3000 rpms will cause the little piggy to consume oil.

n7don_srx
06-03-13, 08:15 AM
SM says that V6 has an oil level sensor. Threads into pan from bottom.
Not sure when but this feature was deleted. It's not on my 07. The same with the 03 Envoy. Early 02's had the sensor but wasn't carried over into the 2nd model year.
Wonder if it just didn't work and caused a liability issue.... any case not a substitute for looking under the hood and checking via the dipstick.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-13, 12:48 PM
I've only had mine for a month and a half, but there certainly seems to be something with the mountains... or the highway... or both. I drove mine to Nashville and back last weekend (about 1300 miles), and it chugged through 3.5 quarts! That said, it poured smoke out the exhaust on the way home, so I'm thinking there's something a little out of the ordinary going on! Dealership marked the dipstick this week and are having me drive it to do a consumption test. I guess my log of oil addition and the fact that I haven't even put 2k miles on it isn't good enough! I don't understand how a car that seems to be such a mess still seems to run and drive so darn well!

Hi 2broke4this,

I am sorry your vehicle seems to be experiencing an oil consumption issue. Please keep us posted on this issue and if you would like to discuss anything or have other questions, reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

conedoctor
06-03-13, 01:55 PM
Some people confuse the OLM with oil level, they have nothing to do with each other.

The OLM has not idea your oil level, I would assume it assumes the pan is full, the OLM will however change based on oil temp so it would speed up a bit based on high oil temp from low oil but not enough to keep up with checking the oil.

If your engine is not using oil then why not use the OLM?

I too at times have a hard time trusting in engineering but until Scully and Fox tell me the OLM is crap I will stick with it, assuming I have the amount of oil the system thinks I do.

PJ1520
06-03-13, 02:01 PM
STILLROLLIN........if you drive for extended periods of time over 3,000 rpm, you may use more motor oil. But for sure you will use more $$$ paying for speeding tickets. :-) PJ

2broke4this
06-03-13, 08:43 PM
Hi 2broke4this,

I am sorry your vehicle seems to be experiencing an oil consumption issue. Please keep us posted on this issue and if you would like to discuss anything or have other questions, reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Laura,

Thanks for reaching out. At this point, I can't REALLY complain about how the dealership is handling the situation (although I suppose I did whine a little bit). I know they need to do a more accurate measurement. I bought the car used at a Ford dealership, so I have no real room to get upset. I mean, I'll be upset if they don't take care of it, but I really have no reason to expect them not to treat me right. I didn't really intend to jack this thread, but I suppose it's gone all over the place already! I'll start my own thread when I have more information. I've only had a chance to put about 50 miles on it since I got it back, I need to find a reason to go drive it somewhere and show them what its using. Thanks again.

-Carl

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-13, 10:56 AM
Laura,

Thanks for reaching out. At this point, I can't REALLY complain about how the dealership is handling the situation (although I suppose I did whine a little bit). I know they need to do a more accurate measurement. I bought the car used at a Ford dealership, so I have no real room to get upset. I mean, I'll be upset if they don't take care of it, but I really have no reason to expect them not to treat me right. I didn't really intend to jack this thread, but I suppose it's gone all over the place already! I'll start my own thread when I have more information. I've only had a chance to put about 50 miles on it since I got it back, I need to find a reason to go drive it somewhere and show them what its using. Thanks again.

-Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response and keeping me updated on this concern. Continue to share your progress and updates, and if I need to help assist you in the future, I am more than happy to do so!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Stillrollin
06-04-13, 04:00 PM
STILLROLLIN........if you drive for extended periods of time over 3,000 rpm, you may use more motor oil. But for sure you will use more $$$ paying for speeding tickets. :-) PJ
Let's see now. The last speeding ticket I received was in 1978 while driving a 77 Buick LeSabre Sport Coupe and it was for driving fifty in a forty five zone. I considered this to be revenue enhancement.
In my 'o8 SRX V6, I often have to drive over 3000 rpm's in order to maintain posted speed signs which will hardly cost me any more than the gasoline and the small amount of oil consumed.:lildevil:
Incidentally this takes place on trips down I77, I79 as well as I75 all in mountainous regions.

Sackett
06-04-13, 04:24 PM
Sackett.....were these the same guys who changed the oil the time before the level was low? Maybe these oil change guys did not replace the spent oil with the right amount. That happened to me, but I happened to check the motor oil level myself about an hour later. Two quarts low!!!!.

I thought I did but I don't remember now. We got the car at 25k with a fresh oil change. It wasn't long after that that I found out about the oil problem on this forum, so I was checking it regularly but I fell out of practice after the last go round. I don't habitually use the same place. I use the place with the shortest line on Saturday because I rarely have time during the week and the dealer isn't open on Saturday. I'm going to watch the oil like a hawk now though :). Shame I have to though. We have a Saab 9-3 with the 2.8T (that made a brief appearance in the current SRX) and it doesn't burn a drop at 80k miles and counting.
How much oil does the dipstick show anyhow? Ie when it's dry how much is missing?

TimRSRX777
06-04-13, 07:26 PM
I've had no issues with oil consumption problem on my SRX until now. The oil change place noted no oil on the dipstick. I'm at 46k miles. I'm concerned now :)...

My question is this, how many times had you checked the oil before you brought it in to get the oil changed? You say no oil consumption issues until after you brought it in.. Had you been checking your oil or is there only a problem now that someone told you the oil was super low before the oil change? Oil consumption affects every vehicle although the quantity varies. Had your SRX been blowing blue smoke out the back? I find all these horror stories about suddenly the oil being super low hard to believe.

conedoctor
06-04-13, 07:41 PM
It may not be burning it so don't look for smoke, if it is coming in on the back side of the stroke it is not burnt in the engine and just runs into the cat.

Ranger007
06-05-13, 07:53 PM
If you want some interesting reading go to the thread located below (started in April 2012)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/257131-dipstick-v6-vs-v8-4.html

How much oil is in your engine - damn near anybody's guess. My dipstick does read higher on one side than the other and the question remains, do I have the right dipstick in my vehicle?

They seemed to have determined (or a least settled or regrouped or whatever) on the dipstick which belongs in the 2009 and forward 3.6 -but what about the 2008? My earlier post in this thread says that the N* is the part number for the 2008, now. What did they say in 2008?

Anyway, best of luck. It is still by guess and by golly.

Some will make fun of this post - but when you change your own oil, measure what is drained and carefully measure as you refill you will see why I continue to pursue the matter

Bill