: Piano Black Polish that works!!

austin
05-12-13, 05:26 PM
My piano black around my radio knobs and center console had swirls marks and scratches.. This was driving me crazy.. So I tried some 3M Rubbing Compound I had laying around (03900).. All I can say is WOW it took the swirls and scratches out leaving a high lustrous shine!! I used a two sided orange/white micro fiber cloth that I purchased at Autozone. I applied the compound with the orange micro fiber side moving in small circles until the compound disappeared. After that I flipped the cloth over to the white side and polished it. The results are astounding! ....I also did the piano black on the top of the automatic shift knob. The only thing I would do different would be to tape off the radio knobs to protect the grooves from getting any compound in them. :)

montgb
05-21-13, 11:28 PM
Just what I needed. Thanks for posting this fix.

Bigreese
05-22-13, 02:39 AM
Thank You
Just ordered some
From eBay

VMoose
05-22-13, 04:09 AM
Pics of before and after?

Chosenone
05-23-13, 03:21 PM
Yeah would love to see some before and afters. I have tried all sorts of product from platic scratch remover polish, to meguiars fine swirl remover and havent gotten anything to even come close to touch the scratches and swirls in the black piano trim. I will try the 3m rubbin compound now to see if that works. I wish I knew how to pull the dash bezel (around radio) and all the trim around the shifter and cup holder and use my Griots RO on it.

heater
05-23-13, 06:27 PM
^agreed

oneman42
05-23-13, 09:56 PM
Yeah would love to see some before and afters. I have tried all sorts of product from platic scratch remover polish, to meguiars fine swirl remover and havent gotten anything to even come close to touch the scratches and swirls in the black piano trim. I will try the 3m rubbin compound now to see if that works. I wish I knew how to pull the dash bezel (around radio) and all the trim around the shifter and cup holder and use my Griots RO on it.

They just talked about dash bezel removal on the other section. Here you go:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/293977-shifter-trim-removal-radio-access.html
HTH,
George

Chosenone
05-28-13, 01:28 PM
Picked up some of the 3m rubbing compound this weekend from Walmart. Will give it a try this weekend and post some before and after pictures if I have any luck. I will probably just try and tape everything off and then do it by hand or if there is room put the 4" plate on my Griots RO and see what I can do.

Bigreese
05-28-13, 08:38 PM
This stuff is incredible
Thanks for the tip

baabootoo
05-29-13, 01:20 PM
Yeah, thanks for the legwork bro.....

Arca500
05-30-13, 12:51 PM
3M used to make some very light rubbing compound that was used for plastic motorcycle visors. I'd guess You could still buy it at a bike shop. Works great on old CD's too.

baabootoo
06-03-13, 12:54 AM
Yeah, plastic polish which I'll try tomorrow.

spearfish25
06-07-13, 09:12 PM
I'd guess a headlight restoration kit would also do the trick.

baabootoo
06-08-13, 11:58 PM
My plastic polish worked great too. I use it for my face shields, and now the dash! :)