: Slight pulsing vibration @ highway speeds? Any ideas?

TomFont
05-12-13, 03:54 PM
Just bought a CTS4 Premium in really nice shape from a dealer in PA (about 3 hrs away). 21k miles, 19" wheel package and almost new Michelin Pilot tires. I feel a slight shimmy through the steering wheel around 60-70 mph. Had my local tire guy re-do balance and 4 wheel alignment but it's still there. Car has not been hit. Before I take it to a local dealer to be told it's my imagination, is this "normal"?

WRXtranceformed
05-12-13, 06:01 PM
If you just had a balance / alignment it could be a bent wheel. Or sometimes if it is cold out and you haven't driven your car in a while, your car will develop a bit of a flat spot that you feel as a vibration at speed. It usually goes away when the tires warm up though.

TomFont
05-12-13, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your reply, but wouldn't a bent rim show up on balancing? Also it didn't go away after a long (1hr) ride in nice weather.

btlfedcts
05-12-13, 10:02 PM
Check your rear differential for for a leak ... there have been a few know issues with these rear diffs having some issues. If the leak prevails you will get some vibration as the rear gear begin to loose lubrication. This is probably the most severe issue and least common but an easy check. Look for leakage around the axle stub to housing on either side.

Jagillac
05-13-13, 03:16 PM
After I changed my wheels I had a very small vibration too. I had it balanced and didn't help. I then wondered if the lugs where torqued correctly or not. I got the specification for my coupe. I retorqued to 140lbs and it was gone. I would suggest double check yours.

09CaddyCTS(VIB_FREE)
05-13-13, 09:36 PM
Post 722 in Re: Have We Solved The Steering Vibration On The Freeway? could be what you are feeling this fixed my 2009 cts4...