: Will window tint affect auto dimming rear view mirror?

TomFont
05-11-13, 05:31 PM
Just purchased a really clean, low mileage, red 2011 CTS4 Premium. I want to have the windows tinted, especially the rear windshield to cut down on glare from high intensity headlights even with the day/nite mirror. Does anyone know how what triggers the dimming - ambient light in the cabin or the headlights behind you? Obviously, I don't want to tint the rear windshield if it is going to stop the rear view mirror from automatically dimming.

gohawks63
05-11-13, 07:22 PM
Just purchased a really clean, low mileage, red 2011 CTS4 Premium. I want to have the windows tinted, especially the rear windshield to cut down on glare from high intensity headlights even with the day/nite mirror. Does anyone know how what triggers the dimming - ambient light in the cabin or the headlights behind you? Obviously, I don't want to tint the rear windshield if it is going to stop the rear view mirror from automatically dimming.

The purpose of the auto dimming mirror is to cut down glare so if you tint your rear window, that will cut down some glare and as your mirror as a result won't have to dim as much.

That said, I have tinted windows and it's not an issue.

Jagillac
05-12-13, 03:43 AM
No issue for me as well with my windows tinted.

C "T" ess
05-12-13, 12:05 PM
I have very dark tint and no problem.

dekemyster
05-14-13, 06:23 AM
I have tint and no issues. There is a sensor in the mirror that detects incoming light through your rear window. The more/brighter the light the more the mirror dims. The sensor is only for mirror too, so nothing else is affected

gohawks63
05-14-13, 12:08 PM
There are two sensors one behind the mirror (front if the car) that measures outside light and one in front of the mirror that measures ambient light coming into the cabin like glare from headlights behind you.