: Can The Interior Lights Be Kept Off?

V fun
05-11-13, 01:13 PM
Is it possible to prevent the interior cabin lights from coming on when the door is opened? I have searched the DIC and scoured the owners manual but have come up with nothing. Even the cheapest cheapo cars have "on-auto-off" settings for interior lights but it doesn't appear that GMs finest can match that feature or am I just missing it?

ctspremium
05-11-13, 05:14 PM
Sorry, I have a 2013 CTS premium and using the small knob on the left side of the strg column appears to be the only place to alter interior lighting. That said, it does not quite fully "dim" the interior lighting, it does bring it very low. I'm sure if you check the fuse banks you can find the fuse for interior lighting and remove it. Ido not recommend doing that.

I have spoke to a person in a dealership and they advise that the lights must have current any time the engine is engaged.

OMG
05-11-13, 07:10 PM
Maybe it's because I've owned only GM's, Fords and two Hondas but I never had a car where you can disable that.

Tbbt
05-11-13, 08:58 PM
Or you could remove the bulbs.

Wondering why you need to be so stealthy??? Most people want some light when they open their doors.

Matte black CTS
05-11-13, 09:05 PM
I have an 06 CTS and right between the map lights is a slider that I know dims them. Not too sure if you can completely turn off or not.

V fun
05-12-13, 12:31 PM
Or you could remove the bulbs.

Wondering why you need to be so stealthy??? Most people want some light when they open their doors.

...unless you are an amateur astronomer and have driven out to a dark observing site, spent the 30 minutes needed to get your eyes fully dark adapted and then need something in the car. Not to mention the less than enthusiastic responses from others if you are in a group!

snafu
05-12-13, 01:56 PM
...unless you are an amateur astronomer and have driven out to a dark observing site, spent the 30 minutes needed to get your eyes fully dark adapted and then need something in the car. Not to mention the less than enthusiastic responses from others if you are in a group!

I'm not an amateur astronomer but I have worked on old school CRT projectors and can relate to your concern. My advice is dim them as much as possible by slider and purchase a pair of "red-lens" glasses as this will allow you to adjust from light to dark areas quicker. I don't remember where I purchased mine 10+ years ago.... OR
remove everything from car prior to adjusting to darkness-- this might be the difference between amateur and professional.:bang2:.

jghiller
05-14-13, 11:03 AM
Too many different features at play when opening/unlocking car to do this. Not something engineers would think of doing.

C "T" ess
05-15-13, 12:03 PM
I guess you could remove all of the offending bulbs.

Ramv
05-16-13, 12:25 AM
Weird. My Avalanche can be turned off with the dimmer switches as could most gms I have had.

Important when car camping so you can avoid running down the battery and attracting bugs.

HurstGN
05-17-13, 06:22 PM
Wow, the CTS Camping edition. :tisk: I hope it looks better than the Pontiac Aztek did! :thepan:

Ramv
05-17-13, 07:28 PM
? Why not. I take my motorcycle. The CtS carries much more.

However I was thinking more of tailgating and other city camping related events.

austin
05-20-13, 08:25 AM
I could turn off the interior lights completely when I had my 2007 Escalade.. It was great on hot summer nights when alot of bugs are flying around.. It kept them from making a "B" line for the interior when I was entering or exiting. :)