: 91 Brougham - Unable to open Trunk

Brougham_D'Elegance
05-11-13, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I am new to the forum, I need your assistance please regarding my 1991 Cadillac Brougham.

I am living in Abu Dhabi, I bought my Cadillac from US and shipped it here, it is now in the sea port yard, they removed the 2 front wheels so it can fit in the 40" container along with other cars. Now that they want to take it out of the container they are not able to find the wheels.

They suspect that the front wheels are located in the back trunk, unfortunately they are not able to open the trunk even though they have the keys.

Please advise what can be the problem and how to fix it so we can open the trunk.

Many thanks in advance

cadillac kevin
05-11-13, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I am new to the forum, I need your assistance please regarding my 1991 Cadillac Brougham.

I am living in Abu Dhabi, I bought my Cadillac from US and shipped it here, it is now in the sea port yard, they removed the 2 front wheels so it can fit in the 40" container along with other cars. Now that they want to take it out of the container they are not able to find the wheels.

They suspect that the front wheels are located in the back trunk, unfortunately they are not able to open the trunk even though they have the keys.

Please advise what can be the problem and how to fix it so we can open the trunk.

Many thanks in advance

I'd try putting the ignition to run or accessory (don't have to turn on the engine) and try the trunk release button in the glovebox. If not, you'd have to remove the back seat and get into the trunk that way and see if you can pop the lock.

csbuckn
05-11-13, 09:44 AM
Maybe the tires are pressing up on the trunk and you need to press down on the trunk to get the pressure off the lock.

Brougham_D'Elegance
05-11-13, 11:37 AM
I'd try putting the ignition to run or accessory (don't have to turn on the engine) and try the trunk release button in the glovebox. If not, you'd have to remove the back seat and get into the trunk that way and see if you can pop the lock.

Thanks for your advice, I already told him to check the glove box for the power button.
I will call him again and transfer exactly your advice.

cadillac kevin
05-11-13, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your advice, I already told him to check the glove box for the power button.
I will call him again and transfer exactly your advice.

I would try csbuckn's advice of pushing down on the trunk lid before I would try removing the back seat (that's something I would not let a shipper at the port try to do, as they would probably damage the back seat)

Brougham_D'Elegance
05-11-13, 12:33 PM
Maybe the tires are pressing up on the trunk and you need to press down on the trunk to get the pressure off the lock.

Thanks also for your advice, in case the battery is there and connected and in case the power button from the glove box compartment is not working while in ignition on or accessory, I will have to go myself on Monday and try your advice.

----------

I would try csbuckn's advice of pushing down on the trunk lid before I would try removing the back seat (that's something I would not let a shipper at the port try to do, as they would probably damage the back seat)

You are absolutely right, I will try it myself even if I have to drive for 4 hours round trip...

Aron9000
05-11-13, 07:13 PM
Sometimes the lock cylinder will stick. Try spraying the key with wd-40, insert and remove it a coupe times, spray it with more wd-40. Fiddle with it a little bit, once the old sticky bits in the lock are free it should work like new. This worked on my 1991 Brougham I had.

Brougham_D'Elegance
05-15-13, 01:46 PM
Thanks all for your support, the trunk opened couple of days ago just when they plugged a temporary battery.

Thanks again.

bigm57ict
05-15-13, 02:07 PM
Did you find the front wheels?