: Sudden Rear Brake Pad failure...

sprink60
05-11-13, 10:01 AM
We all stay tuned for strange and new sounds from or Escalades and I am no exception. Coming home from work this week I noticed the unmistakable sound of "Metal on Metal" disc brakes. I got home, jacked the truck up and started spinning wheels by hand...there was no scoring on any of the rotors visible and with these 22" rims thats easy to see.

When I got to the left rear I found the culprit...not visible because in was on the inside of the rotor and the outside looked perfect. The rotor was scored deeper than spec allowed turning so i replaced it and turned both the new left rear and the existing good right rear. I installed new Wagner "Thermo Quiet Red" pads on both sides and for $80 parts and machine shop labor ($30 at Auto parts store to turn rotors) I cured the problem.

One thing I did make note of though is that the rear rotors are 13" and the front rotors are 12"...usually the fronts are the larger ones in my experience. Oh well...GM knows better than I as to how to set up the brake performance bias on their products....I just thought it was a bit odd.

the cadillac man
05-11-13, 11:43 AM
We all stay tuned for strange and new sounds from or Escalades and I am no exception. Coming home from work this week I noticed the unmistakable sound of "Metal on Metal" disc brakes. I got home, jacked the truck up and started spinning wheels by hand...there was no scoring on any of the rotors visible and with these 22" rims thats easy to see.

When I got to the left rear I found the culprit...not visible because in was on the inside of the rotor and the outside looked perfect. The rotor was scored deeper than spec allowed turning so i replaced it and turned both the new left rear and the existing good right rear. I installed new Wagner "Thermo Quiet Red" pads on both sides and for $80 parts and machine shop labor ($30 at Auto parts store to turn rotors) I cured the problem.

One thing I did make note of though is that the rear rotors are 13" and the front rotors are 12"...usually the fronts are the larger ones in my experience. Oh well...GM knows better than I as to how to set up the brake performance bias on their products....I just thought it was a bit odd.

Sprink the rear brakes tend to wear out faster then the front they set them up like that to prevent the front from diving during sudden stops

wesyder
05-11-13, 03:13 PM
Sprink the rear brakes tend to wear out faster then the front they set them up like that to prevent the front from diving during sudden stops

Yeah im on 3rd set on the rear vs 2nd set on the front with about 210k miles

6lbsofSound
05-11-13, 05:33 PM
The rear rotors are larger for a specific reason. Rotor diameter has nothing to do with stopping power. The caliper piston size and # of pistons make the difference. Gm used larger rotors in the rear due to cooling. The rear brakes don't get the same level of cooling hence why pads and rotors tend to wear faster in the rear.

the cadillac man
05-11-13, 05:35 PM
Yeah im on 3rd set on the rear vs 2nd set on the front with about 210k miles

Ouch

YoshiMan
05-11-13, 06:51 PM
The rears are most likely bigger just so they can house the Parking brake drum in the center

the cadillac man
05-11-13, 07:10 PM
The rears are most likely bigger just so they can house the Parking brake drum in the center

They are because of the park brake(which sucks on my truck)

Je357
05-21-13, 09:03 PM
My parking brakes dont work at all.

the cadillac man
05-21-13, 10:29 PM
My parking brakes dont work at all.

Join the club mine has never worked

Je357
05-21-13, 11:23 PM
I wanna fix mine. Hate when i park on a hill and cant get my truck outta gear cause i didnt use e-brake

the cadillac man
05-21-13, 11:34 PM
I wanna fix mine. Hate when i park on a hill and cant get my truck outta gear cause i didnt use e-brake

I know the feeling I plan on fixing mine when I replace my rear rotors(they are warped)

YoshiMan
05-22-13, 12:47 AM
I find it amusing how strange these parking brakes are. Mine sometimes will hold the truck solid as a rock in the driveway, and sometimes it doesn't work at all! I'm sure it's long overdue for an adjustment, but its odd how night and day it can be!

the cadillac man
05-22-13, 01:33 AM
I find it amusing how strange these parking brakes are. Mine sometimes will hold the truck solid as a rock in the driveway, and sometimes it doesn't work at all! I'm sure it's long overdue for an adjustment, but its odd how night and day it can be!

I agree my dads h2 park brake holds great most of the time sometimes it slips a bit
I know mine needs adjusting or the pads need replacing