: Annoying slow leak

cutterman
05-11-13, 08:14 AM
My left front tire is losing 1-2 psi per day. Seems to loose faster when I am driving. Have pulled the tire off 3 times and inspected visually and with soapy water and can't find it. Checked along bead, stem etc.

Before I bring the tire in to be removed and remounted was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
Thanks

MrHolland
05-11-13, 09:17 AM
People have reported the same with rusted/corroded rims.

Naf
05-13-13, 04:45 AM
It could be a tiny nail in your tire, inflate to 45psi and get soapy water in a spray bottle, spray the thread and rim area to find your leak and plug the thread area only, if leaking from the side wall change immediately...

On my old cars the TPMS stem use to leak all the time

cutterman
05-13-13, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try.

the blur
05-13-13, 06:45 PM
Water bath will find it every time.

flasrx
05-14-13, 12:17 AM
As posted above, there is a very good chance it is the corrosion inside the rims. I had the same problem and went to my local Discount Tire store several times due to a slow leak. They could never find anything wrong with the tire. But after about the third visit the guy showed me the rim corrosion. I live in Florida, so I know it wasn't road salt that caused it. Because the chrome was peeling on that one rim and I told my Caddy dealer about the inside corrosion, they agreed to replace all four rims for free. It is a know issue. BTW, mine is an 08.

cutterman
06-02-13, 08:57 AM
Yep- that was it.

The leak worsened and I found it on the inside rim. Broke the bead there and the plating had pealed and there was a lip of corrosion. I sanded it down and applied rubber cement and it seems to be sealed. I was surprised since the car is an '11 and the rims were not used in the winter.

If it happens again I am bringing it to the dealer to have the rims replaced.

the blur
06-02-13, 09:07 AM
Most of the GM wheels are made in Japan, or some other foreign country.