: Wheel weights

Billyc
05-10-13, 10:19 PM
My new 2013 esc esv had wheel weights on outside of rim. Has dealer move to inside wheel like all other Cadillac models. My new wheels are now scratched!!! Can any one help? Came from gm with weights outside dealer said nothing

----------

Just picked it up today brand new. Silver coast metallic Not happy about wheels way to expensive to have gm ruin them before the customer gets them

adamjeeps
05-10-13, 11:47 PM
Never hurts to ask dealer to replace or repair.

If they are chrome you can wait until they pit and then get them replaced once under warranty.

383 LT1 SS
12-27-13, 11:09 AM
When I purchased my new to me 2011 ESV I noticed the wheel weights were mounted on the outside of the rims. I looked at several new models that the dealer had on the floor and those too had the wheel weights mounted on the outside of the rims. I asked about it and the salesman told me due to the rims being 22" that is the way the rims had to be balanced. Today I had my DTS in for a tire rotation at the tire shop that I use and I had asked if the escalade rims could be balanced with the stick on weights and they said it could be done. Not sure why Cadillac would chose to mount those weights on the outside of a chrome rim?

383 LT1 SS

wesyder
12-27-13, 12:34 PM
When I purchased my new to me 2011 ESV I noticed the wheel weights were mounted on the outside of the rims. I looked at several new models that the dealer had on the floor and those too had the wheel weights mounted on the outside of the rims. I asked about it and the salesman told me due to the rims being 22" that is the way the rims had to be balanced. Today I had my DTS in for a tire rotation at the tire shop that I use and I had asked if the escalade rims could be balanced with the stick on weights and they said it could be done. Not sure why Cadillac would chose to mount those weights on the outside of a chrome rim? 383 LT1 SScuz its not their car

2kflhr
12-27-13, 01:10 PM
Sometimes due to the imbalance the wheel weight has to go on the outside, other times is does not. I imagine with a wide wheel like on our vehicles it's sometimes necessary. I have used the stick on wheel weights in the past and they worked fine but I've heard of some coming off over time. But, adhesion technology (especially 3M) has improved leaps and bounds in recent years.

Mark Edward Morrison
12-27-13, 04:14 PM
I don't have 22" rims but I had my wheels balanced at Discount Tire and had them put the weights on inside of the rim so they would not be seen.

383 LT1 SS
12-27-13, 04:32 PM
I don't have 22" rims but I had my wheels balanced at Discount Tire and had them put the weights on inside of the rim so they would not be seen.

Thats the same tire shop I use. I have found them to be good in terms of tightening the lugs to spec. I will be bringing my truck in to them to re-balance the wheels. Will also have them do my tire rotations even though I am still under the premium maintenance plan.

383 LT1 SS