: 100% stock getting popping on decel

nunii
05-10-13, 08:58 PM
Why is this happening ?

----------

One more thing lately the exhaust sounds much deaper since I got the car last month only has 700 miles on it is this normal?

Trapspeed
05-10-13, 09:33 PM
Yes. The carbon buildup will do that. As for the popping, not sure. I've listened to exhaust popping for years in one way or another for decades so I'm pretty tone deaf to it.

austin
05-10-13, 09:58 PM
Ignition related..... Perhaps a Bad or failing coil pack.. Bad wire or plug... Perhaps not enough juice to burn the remaining fuel completely?

Random84
05-10-13, 10:05 PM
it's rich (unburnt fuel) for some reason. Could be faltering ignition allowing cylinders to not burn properly, it could (more likely) be a sensor going bad, causing the ECM to otherwise do weird things, or it could be an exhaust leak throwing off O2 sensors - again resulting in excess fuel that's being burned off in the exhaust. A lot of people get it from exhaust mods where the tune is not adjusted - they think it sounds cool. In a factory car, it suggests again excess fuel for whatever reason.

In either case, it will eventually cause your catalytic converters to die young.

I'd have the dealer hook up a scan tool and see what pops up.

nunii
05-10-13, 10:13 PM
Could this have anything to do with me disconnecting the battery cause the car felt very sluggish !

Trapspeed
05-10-13, 10:38 PM
Could this have anything to do with me disconnecting the battery cause the car felt very sluggish !

It could if you haven't driven it much since. It's got to relearn the A/F as you drive.

Zhariak
05-10-13, 10:57 PM
Popping is bad?

Both my 12 and my 13 V did this... My 13V is doing it more then the 12...

My 13 V does it every time I change gears, and does it plenty on deceleration.

I know nothing about cars, but I didn't think it was bad? I kinda thought the sound was ****ing awesome and a bit bad ass :)

And actually, I noticed that if I have a bit of fun with the vehicle (drive "spirited" for a bit), afterwards it does it lots when going back to driving normally.

Running 92 gas at altitude of 1,000 meters

----------

And just to add...

It's the pop that people hear that cause the initial heads to turn to see what's making the sound. Then the grin/smile/raised eyebrows when they see the car ;)

nunii
05-10-13, 11:02 PM
It could if you haven't driven it much since. It's got to relearn the A/F as you drive.

Only drove about 10 miles since I disconnected the battery I guess that mite be ill drive a little more and see what happens. Thank you!

ClarkkentCTSV
05-11-13, 12:21 AM
Drive the car for atleast 60mi. This should help the computer relearn and adjust the a/f. Sounds like its running rich causing unburned gas to ignite in the hot exhaust.

BigDog001
05-12-13, 10:01 AM
I don't think it is unusual at all - I get it all the time - and actually like it!

Topless vette
05-12-13, 05:52 PM
not unusaull at all. normal. go with it.

ENVIOUS V
05-14-13, 12:15 AM
Normal as well just drive it.

jwbhole
05-14-13, 12:36 AM
I had a bit of popping (aka backfire) with stock exhaust. Changed to Corsa sport axle-back with 400 miles on the car. It pops more and it's awesome. Go with it.

LeeH
05-14-13, 06:51 AM
I had a bit of popping (aka backfire) with stock exhaust. Changed to Corsa sport axle-back with 400 miles on the car. It pops more and it's awesome. Go with it.

What he said, except I had 5K miles on mine.

M5eater
05-14-13, 07:48 AM
Depends on how much we're talking about, but generally this is normal and not immediately noticeable until you get some aftermarket mufflers. My car 'pops' on nearly every shift, and nearly every decell while in gear.

austin
05-14-13, 10:06 AM
Mmmmm.... I have a. 2011 and absolutely no decel pop at all.

RapidRob
05-14-13, 06:31 PM
- ^^^ - Mine pops during decel - but is really hard to hear through the oem exhaust, (at least for me ..). Been doing it since the car was new, so I think it's normal.

Rob

Zhariak
05-14-13, 07:26 PM
- ^^^ - Mine pops during decel - but is really hard to hear through the oem exhaust, (at least for me ..). Been doing it since the car was new, so I think it's normal.

Rob

Mine's loud and beautiful! You can hear it with the windows closed. Open the windows and it's BLISS! :D

One of the reasons why I've worked so hard on perfecting my downshifts. Causes vehicles in the other lanes to look over :)

GMX322V S/C
05-17-13, 11:55 PM
I grew weary of it after 3.5 years (Corsa Touring + other mods). Charlie at RPM Motors (Santa Clarita, CA) tuned it right out, in one shot. Picked up 10 RWHP to boot :thumbsup: