: Blown Head Gasket Help

DonCarmine
05-10-13, 09:59 AM
Hello,

I currently have a 1998 Cadillac Deville, with a beautiful body. The car is in excellent condition but it has a blown head
gasket so it is undrivable. I've heard that the Northstar engine had a bad couple of (1998-1999 I believe) where the head
gaskets kept going. Is it worth to fix the head gasket because what if it blows again? Is it possible to put an engine in thats not aluminum to prevent the over heating?

Also, there is this beautiful 98 Deville being sold by a guy I know that only has 40,000 miles on it. Would this car be worth to buy with the engine problems?

stoveguyy
05-10-13, 10:18 AM
How many miles does your car have? It's worth 1k as is. Not repaired. How much do you think the other car is worth? It has low miles and a good motor. It may last a long time. Or fail in a month. You pay for a car based on its current condition. None can predict the future. Your car may be worth paying a shop 2500 to fix motor. Depends if you like car or not.

Submariner409
05-10-13, 10:41 AM
The present engine can be reliably repaired. If you are not at least a decent mechanic with space and tools, don't even consider tackling the job. depending on where you live, there are several excellent repair shops that do the job for a vary fair price (your quote may vary).

Substituting another "non-aluminum" engine is not possible for this Cadillac FWD setup.

If you like the car and the interior/body is in good to excellent condition it is "worth" repairing, engine cost be damned.

Go up to the sticky threads just above your thread and read through the ones on engines, gaskets, temp gauges, etc. Do some homework.

EDIT: Anyone know of a good repair shop in the New York City area ???

Ranger
05-10-13, 11:11 AM
I've heard that the Northstar engine had a bad couple of (1998-1999 I believe) where the head
gaskets kept going. Is it worth to fix the head gasket because what if it blows again?
You heard wrong. Once repaired properly (with inserts or studs) the engine will outlast the rest of the car. The HG's WILL NOT blow again.

vincentm
05-10-13, 11:48 AM
The present engine can be reliably repaired. If you are not at least a decent mechanic with space and tools, don't even consider tackling the job. depending on where you live, there are several excellent repair shops that do the job for a vary fair price (your quote may vary).

Substituting another "non-aluminum" engine is not possible for this Cadillac FWD setup.

If you like the car and the interior/body is in good to excellent condition it is "worth" repairing, engine cost be damned.

Go up to the sticky threads just above your thread and read through the ones on engines, gaskets, temp gauges, etc. Do some homework.

EDIT: Anyone know of a good repair shop in the New York City area ???

Joe Tahoe is in upstate NY

JoeTahoe
05-10-13, 12:45 PM
I am just outside Ithaca. Right now I am on my 4th one. I have a 99esc coming in att the end of the month. But if you would like to pm me feel free too

DonCarmine
05-11-13, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your response. It has 125,000 miles on it and the exterior and interior are immaculate and I really love the car alot. I just do not want to spend all of this money than have it break down again.

JoeTahoe
05-11-13, 09:55 PM
if the head gaskets are fixed with a known fix it will not happen again

DonCarmine
05-11-13, 10:04 PM
if the head gaskets are fixed with a known fix it will not happen again

Thanks JoeTahoe. Where do you think the best place to get it fixed would be as in like a Cadillac dealership or could any mechanic do it?
Also do you have an estimated cost it would be labor included? Thanks

JoeTahoe
05-11-13, 10:15 PM
from what I have been told a dealer will charge somewhere around $4000 and most likely it will not be one of the best fixes. I have done this before If you want to talk price pm me

DonCarmine
05-11-13, 10:39 PM
For some reason it will not allow me to PM you. Can you PM me first?

JoeTahoe
05-11-13, 11:14 PM
you need to clean out your mail

MoistCabbage
05-11-13, 11:20 PM
Don, you don't have enough posts to PM.

JoeTahoe
05-11-13, 11:31 PM
I pmed you