: Rock Chips.

dm16raiders
05-10-13, 01:53 AM
I purchased a 2008 CTS4 not too long ago. It is getting nice outside so I have been cleaning it often. One thing that bugs the hell out of me is all the little dings from highway rocks and pebbles on the hood and side panels. It is Raven Black so it looks like little white specks on the hood. Is there any way to fix this aside from getting the hood repainted? But if you have had yours painted, how much was it? thanks! -DM

C "T" ess
05-10-13, 10:11 AM
I am so anal about these rock chips and feel your pain. I had one on my drivers side mirror that cost $130 to repaint. It's currently in the dealers shop getting the hood repainted. I don't know the cost but I'm sure it will not be cheap. My car is silver and since it was on the flat of the hood I couldn't match the paint and the dealer nor their used car chip man would touch the car because of the location and color.
I've tried the various paint chip repair kits and have never found one that met my expectations. You are fortunate because your car is black which is the easiest color to match. I would get a bottle of black touch up paint; any black will do, so don't buy it from the dealer. Thin it a bit with lacquer thinner and just go around and using a small tipped brush (not the one in the cap) go around and touch up the chips. Let that dry and go around a few more times until the chips are filled and then polish the car.

Scott2012
05-24-13, 10:19 PM
I bought my v from a dealer. It had stone chips on the hood. The dealer actually used a mobile body shop repair service- they do something that made it look brand new! I was told its about $200 for a hood
Might see if your local dealership has a connection

----------

I bought my v from a dealer. It had stone chips on the hood. The dealer actually used a mobile body shop repair service- they do something that made it look brand new! I was told its about $200 for a hood
Might see if your local dealership has a connection

Wasn't a re-paint... But a blending of some sort... Either way, it looked perfect and I bet much less than a repaint

jimmie jam
05-26-13, 10:39 PM
I have the complete front including the mirrors and lights covered with Expel Ultimate film. Talk to a good installer, many times the chips will disappear (after touch up) when the film is applied. You won't have to worry after that....