: Serpentine Belt?

Playdrv4me
01-12-05, 02:06 AM
Keep your laughter quiet if you may, the Lexus has a niggling problem which Id like to nip in the bud but I dont know much about.

Its squealing like a whale in heat, or Grandma's old Cutlass and uhh, it is quite embarrasing. So what does ghetto cheapass Ian do? I go to wal mart and buy a can of belt dressing. Of course its 1 in the morning and I cant see shit, nor can I even barely reach the pulleys as their is a HUGE fan shroud so I just spray it wherever I can get the shit, and of course, now its louder than ever :(

Should a serp belt need replacing at 60k miles? I dont want to tackle it on this car, so what should a good independent shop charge to replace it?

Ian.

EDIT: I SORT OF Just answered my own question. It says INSPECT at 60k, and then every 15k, sooo still kinda unclear whether I can just keep spraying it in the daylight... :histeric:

Ralph
01-12-05, 02:20 AM
Keep your laughter quiet if you may, the Lexus has a niggling problem which Id like to nip in the bud but I dont know much about.

Its squealing like a whale in heat, or Grandma's old Cutlass and uhh, it is quite embarrasing. So what does ghetto cheapass Ian do? I go to wal mart and buy a can of belt dressing. Of course its 1 in the morning and I cant see shit, nor can I even barely reach the pulleys as their is a HUGE fan shroud so I just spray it wherever I can get the shit, and of course, now its louder than ever :(

Should a serp belt need replacing at 60k miles? I dont want to tackle it on this car, so what should a good independent shop charge to replace it?

Ian.

But Lexuses don't EVA break down and run quiet??!! :histeric: Sorry Ian, couldn't help myself. :thumbsup:

I went to my local Lexus dealer site and found out that at 96,000 kms or 59,000 miles is when the accessory belt SHOULD be replaced. So I guess it's due to be changed.

Additional Service Requirements

"Your vehicle will also require the following specialized attention. Be sure to have these services performed as part of regularly scheduled maintenance at the time or distance indicated, whichever occurs first." (59,000 miles)

Inspect Fuel System

Inspect Valve Clearance

Replace A/C Filter

Replace Air Filter Element

Replace Brake Fluid

Replace Engine Coolant

Replace Rear Differential Fluid

Replace Timing Belt

Replace Transmission Fluid

(This info is specifically for a 2002 LS 430)

So I take it that it wasn't making this noise at the dealership? I would make them put a new one on for free. How much warrenty is left on the vehicle, just curious.

Playdrv4me
01-12-05, 02:27 AM
Hmm that all looks about right except for the TIMING Belt, that thing shouldnt need changing until at least 90k according to this 2001 MY Maint Schedule I found.

www.clublexus.com/index.php/filemanager/download/329/2001ms.pdf

Ralph
01-12-05, 02:29 AM
Here is the link to the Lexus dealership. You have to click the maintenance and type of vehicle, etc. Sorry it's in kms.

www.enslexustoyota.com

Playdrv4me
01-12-05, 02:30 AM
Ralph your gonna LOVE this buddy!! Just out of curiousity I went to the LS430 section of that site and guess what was like 5 threads from the top!!!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146558

Ralph
01-12-05, 02:37 AM
Ralph your gonna LOVE this buddy!! Just out of curiousity I went to the LS430 section of that site and guess what was like 5 threads from the top!!!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146558

That's from MY link???

I should have thought about a loose belt as it happened to the Pontiac some years ago!

I don't think I would spray WD-40 on a rubber belt because I think petrolium distilates can deteriorate the belt?

Might just need a tightening, but look at the condition of it anyway and check for deep cracks and cuts. Supposedly small cracks on the edges of the belt are ok and considered part of normal wear.

Playdrv4me
01-12-05, 02:42 AM
No no... the link that I pasted earlier where I said I found the MY2001 Maintenance Schedule... its from the Club Lexus forums... So I got curious and descended into their site to see what I could find. Sure enough 5 threads from the top I found that. I thought it was pretty funny.

Ralph
01-12-05, 02:51 AM
Check this out:

http://www.srikumar.com/automobiles/Automobiles.htm

60-100k is normal for a timing belt/ belts and hoses.

Playdrv4me
01-12-05, 04:36 AM
Well that fixed that. I took off the huge ass shroud that was over my pulleys, got a tiny flashlight so I could see, sprayed em all down with as much of that belt junk as I could and now its quiet again. Hopefully itll last for a little while. The belt looked just fine when I checked it too.

Ralph
01-12-05, 04:06 PM
Glad you got it because I thought those cars were supposed to be quiet? :lildevil:

We're going to have to get Sal to start a special "Ian's Lexus" section just for you and all the maintenance you'll be doing can be commented on. :shhh:

I used to spray the belts on my old cars, but with them the rad fan was always running so the spray would blow all over the engine and part of the winsdhield!!! Thank goodness for thermostat controlled fans.

evilrussian
01-12-05, 05:40 PM
One morning I stopped before pulling out of my development and saw this brand spanking new SC-430 stopped right next to me. So I hear this pesky belt squeal, really annoying. I turned my motor off and the squeal didn't go away and yes, you guessed it right, the brand new $60K+ Lex was squelling like an old tercel! I thought they could have done a better job for the money.