: Removing Power Steering Pump Pulley turning into a nightmare..

mad_caddy
05-09-13, 09:56 PM
So today I set out to replace my Water Pump since the bearing is bad.. got everything off with no problem, surprisingly only had to use heat on two bolts. Got my puller set up and in place to get the Power Steering Pulley off, and this sucker will NOT come off.. got her about half way, got tight so I tried heat.. tried break-away spray, teased it over and over.. now she wont even go back on.
Now the front of it is warped and I am pretty certain it is no good now. I have to cut it off somehow.

Now I am having trouble finding where I can even get my hands on a new pulley, but I need one fast because my daily took a dump on me in February and I have been relying on my Brougham since then. I can handle biking to work for a little while, but I'd like to get this car back on the road as soon as possible. I posted in the parts wanted ad too, hope someone out there has got one.

Motor: 4.1 HT4100 Car: 84' Fleetwood Brougham

jayoldschool
05-09-13, 10:04 PM
Ask this guy to see if he'll sell it to you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-81-82-83-84-85-Cadillac-HT-4100-Complete-Engine-Runs-Great-with-Warranty-/200922011167?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec7e2961f&vxp=mtr

mad_caddy
05-09-13, 10:11 PM
I was checking it out! But man, $700+ for a high miles 1982 HT4100.. I'm sure he wont want to part it out or sell low either, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

jayoldschool
05-10-13, 12:07 AM
No, not the whole engine, just ask for the pump.

Robin Banx
05-10-13, 09:53 AM
I think Sam Buckner (csbuckn) pulled a 4100 out of his 84 coupe before he installed the 500 in it. Ask him if he still has the parts (pulley) that you need. Then buy a new reman pump from Rock Auto for $21.00 and install it. I have just done mine because the seal in it failed at 60,000 miles.

Cheers.......R.

mad_caddy
05-10-13, 10:26 AM
I sent a message over to Rick on eBay last night and got a reply, he just asked how much I would be willing to pay. I just shot a message over to Sam as well. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks.

mad_caddy
05-10-13, 11:34 AM
I have a couple leads. Just got a return call from Cadillacs Only, he has a good used one for $35 and a gentleman on eBay has one from an 82' Eldo for $45. I might be in business here soon. Just waiting to see if the Pulley O'Reilly's ordered for me will match.

jayoldschool
05-10-13, 11:58 AM
If Rockauto has them new/rebuilt, your local parts store will be able to get one for close to the same price. No point in buying a used one.

mad_caddy
05-10-13, 01:32 PM
@ jayoldschool. I'm not looking for the pump, I', looking for the pulley. Rock auto does not have a double v power steering pump pulley for a 4.1, at least not that I could find. They have the pump, however, the pump does not come with the pulley.

Fleetwood472
05-10-13, 01:50 PM
check out car-part.com and do a search in your area. It will show you which salvage yards have it in stock. Most give prices on the website and will ship too. Just another idea.

jayoldschool
05-10-13, 02:59 PM
Ah, now I understand. Someone pointed out in the parts FS thread that they got the pulley at the dealer.

j2rossit
05-10-13, 05:07 PM
That would be me. I had the exact same problem. Pulley wouldn't come off, the flange on the end of the pulley broke off. So I took an angle grinder and cut off the old busted pulley and ordered a new pump from rockauto and got a new pulley from the dealership.

Robin Banx
05-10-13, 10:07 PM
^^ Bingo........way to do it. Don't waste time and effort trying to save crap parts. In this case, new is not that expensive and you are in there to replace the dud water pump anyhow so go for it. Good luck.

Cheers ..........r.

mad_caddy
05-10-13, 10:58 PM
You know, I guess I'm kind of stupid for not checking the dealership.. I just assumed they wouldn't have parts for a 30 year old car that had an odd motor. I thought for sure my only bet was used or after market. I'll try calling up some GM and Cadillac dealers tomorrow morning. I have a used pulley coming from Cadillacs Only, but if I can get another one faster I'll just count my loses.