: Tires

ldfult
05-09-13, 02:48 PM
Is anyone else not happy with the Goodyear tires on their XTS? To me they seem to be noisy and rough riding. I was not happy to see that Goodyear's replaced Michelin tires on Cadillac. I have only 400 miles on the car, but thinking of trading the Goodyear's for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4. My dealer says to drive the car for 3-4000 miles to see if the ride becomes better. Has anyone noticed this on their new XTS?

nstar
05-09-13, 04:48 PM
Better:cookoo:

330GT
05-10-13, 12:04 AM
Is anyone else not happy with the Goodyear tires on their XTS? To me they seem to be noisy and rough riding. I was not happy to see that Goodyear's replaced Michelin tires on Cadillac. I have only 400 miles on the car, but thinking of trading the Goodyear's for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4. My dealer says to drive the car for 3-4000 miles to see if the ride becomes better. Has anyone noticed this on their new XTS?

Just in case you may down-the-line consider the Bridgestone Potenza 245X40R20X95V M+S; they are also very noisy and harsh. Of course the harshness can be attributed to the very short side walls; but as for the noise, well they are even noisier than the air conditioning fan set on LOW and, yes, with the windows up.

10mikeymike
05-11-13, 08:50 PM
Ride harshness is one thing, noise is another. I have the Bridgestone's on my XTS and I too, think they're noisy. I had them on one of my Lexus's and replaced them with Pirelli P-Zero's. That made a world of difference. I considered doing the same with the XTS, but by the time I got to the tire dealer the car already had 1200+ miles on it and the trade-in on the Bridgestone's was a joke. As for the ride harshness, that's a characteristic of low profile tires. If I'd have been thinking when I got my car I would have asked the dealer if they would have traded my wheels and tires for those off of a standard which I believe is equipped with 245X45X19's as opposed to the 245X40x20's my Platinum has. I realize that a lot of people like the looks of 20" wheels and low profile tires, but they really take their toll on the ride. Another downside is the car wash. I've learned that some car washes can damage 20" wheels with low profile tires depending on whether the car enters the wash track from the left or right. Oh well, so much for style.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-12-13, 05:31 PM
Hi All,

I hope you are enjoying your XTS! There is some good advice offered on this thread. If you ever have questions or concerns don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

pkadanec
05-13-13, 10:34 AM
I had the same issues and my dealer was able to replace my tires with the Michelin Primacy's. Since I have the 20" rims there are only 2 Micheline tires that will fit that set up. This is what My set-up requires P245/40R20 95V. If you look at the Michelin site, they say that they do not have tires to replace that spec. You need to manually look for this particular set-up.What the results show is you can get either the Pilot Primacy or the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They first tired the A/S plus but were unable to get the vehicle to accept the new tires. They could balance and align properly, but when you hit the accelerator, the car veered to the right severely. These tires are on directional tires, meaning that you can only mount one direction and only rotate front to back (and not cross rotate) that may have had something to do with the issue. What i ended up getting are the Pilot Primacy's. The reviews were pretty good (not as good as the A/S, however). These tires are GREAT! What a difference in the ride and noise. They are expensive (like $425/tire) and the life span is only rated at 30K miles. I am completely satisfied with them however. These are the same tires that BMW puts on the 7-series as standard equipment (at least that is what I am told).

TimTown
05-27-13, 03:20 PM
But the claim is that Michelin Pilot Primacy tires don't work well on ice or snow. Too bad. I'm looking for a quiet tire as well.

flying fossil
05-29-13, 08:40 PM
All tires are or can be quite different. i.e. Beef, Ham, and chicken are all meat.

handymantoo
05-29-13, 08:57 PM
The main problem is the low profile design. The car mfg. push them for the improved gas mileage to help their ratings. Kind of selfish to sacrifice our ride for their ratings. My Bridgestone's ride as their name implies; like stones. I can feel every bump in the road.

Caddy Daddy.com
05-29-13, 09:44 PM
The main problem is the low profile design. The car mfg. push them for the improved gas mileage to help their ratings. Kind of selfish to sacrifice our ride for their ratings. My Bridgestone's ride as their name implies; like stones. I can feel every bump in the road.

I don't. I think my ride is very smooth. I have 4WD. Almost 21.5 MPG. My wife has 2013 E Class and that I feel the bumps more. DADDY

z06bigbird
06-09-13, 04:30 AM
1. Call the tire manufacturer and give them your feedback. They will refer you to any tire dealer for verification. They will likely give you almost full credit for the price of your tires. You might even luck out if they let you buy a diff brand.

2. In selecting brands, go to tirerack.com. Click on survey (under pics of tires). You will see a colored matrix of tires and their evals--hydroplaning, light snow, med snow, heavy snow, noise level, longevity, % of customers who would re-buy that tire.

3. Then I go to Disc Tire (aka America's tire). I do not work for them.

kipsts
06-10-13, 11:37 AM
SilverFox, my XTS Platimum has the Bridgestone Potenza tires and I find the ride to be excellent and have not experienced unusual road noise from them. The car is very quite when driving and cruising and handles superbly. So far I have been quite happy with them. :cool2:

10mikeymike
06-10-13, 09:48 PM
I just replaced the Bridgestone Potenza's on my XTS Platinum with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. There's a significant improvement in ride quality and a very noticeable reduction in noise. Coincidentally, my wife's 2011 LS460L came equipped with Bridgestone's and I replaced them with Pirelli's as well. Another good replacement choice are the Continental DWS's. Both the Continental's and the Pirelli's are reasonably priced replacements which will improve ride quality and reduce tire noise for those who are interested.

Stoofpilot
07-02-13, 09:44 PM
I have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis and tried both the Michelin AS and DWS and both pulled to the right. I am test drove a XTS Premium today with the Goodyears and they are terrible. I cannot believe Cadillac is trying to compete against luxury sports sedans with crummy tires. Another tire to try on this car would be the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.

CoffeeCan
07-05-13, 01:21 PM
I would like to see Cadillac add Run Flat tires from the factory when the spare tire delete is on the build order. Our first flat tire was not repairable and required a tow to dealer. Now when I take long trips I will leave the tire pressure display on to monitor for maybe an early warning. Toll roads around our area allow speeds up to 85 mph, run flats would be nice to have at these speeds. Thanks...

nstar
07-05-13, 01:29 PM
I think that if a tire is going below a certain pressure it will come up that is happening with out watching tire pressure monitor.

TulsaVic
07-05-13, 05:29 PM
I think that if a tire is going below a certain pressure it will come up that is happening with out watching tire pressure monitor.

Correct. I've had two flats, one at highway speed and one in a parking lot. The highway flat caused an alert which allowed me to exit the highway before the tire went completely flat and prevented my damaging the rim. The parking lot flat caused an alert as soon as I started the car. Believe the alerts are set to trigger when tire pressure goes below 26 lbs. or so.

kipsts
07-05-13, 05:57 PM
Correct. I've had two flats, one at highway speed and one in a parking lot. The highway flat caused an alert which allowed me to exit the highway before the tire went completely flat and prevented my damaging the rim. The parking lot flat caused an alert as soon as I started the car. Believe the alerts are set to trigger when tire pressure goes below 26 lbs. or so. I like redundancy when it comes to the tires, so I keep the screen with the four actual current tire pressures as part of my center screen all the time. I always notice the pressures when I start up and periodically check the display when cruising and or after driving through potential road hazards. The TPMS warning will of course come up on the screen and HUD whether you have the pressures showing on your screen or not, if there is an issue.:cool2:

CoffeeCan
07-05-13, 08:55 PM
The original equipment tires for a 2013 Cadillac XTS Premium are available online for a 136.00 dollars a piece less shipping, mounting, etc...

statredud
08-30-13, 10:01 PM
I have 2,100 miles on my XTS Luxury 19" Goodyears. They were quiet for the first 1,000 miles. Man, they have a lot of road noise now!!!! I have had 4 Cadillac's. A 2010 CTS, 2006 STS, 2000 DTS, and a 2008 Escalade. All the sedans had Michelins from the factory. I am hoping the dealer can work out something for me next week. Taking the car in to have the A/C checked (does not cool the cabin down without setting the temp to 69), software version check, rattle in rear suspension when hitting bumps, complain about the NAVI, and also have a clunk in the front suspension when turning the wheel all the way to the right. Really like the car a lot and hoping we can get these issues worked out quickly. Yea I know, the NAVI is not getting any more updates soon :(

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-30-13, 10:46 PM
I have 2,100 miles on my XTS Luxury 19" Goodyears. They were quiet for the first 1,000 miles. Man, they have a lot of road noise now!!!! I have had 4 Cadillac's. A 2010 CTS, 2006 STS, 2000 DTS, and a 2008 Escalade. All the sedans had Michelins from the factory. I am hoping the dealer can work out something for me next week. Taking the car in to have the A/C checked (does not cool the cabin down without setting the temp to 69), software version check, rattle in rear suspension when hitting bumps, complain about the NAVI, and also have a clunk in the front suspension when turning the wheel all the way to the right. Really like the car a lot and hoping we can get these issues worked out quickly. Yea I know, the NAVI is not getting any more updates soon :(
Hello staredud,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues with your A/C, clunk in your suspension and road noise with your tires on your XTS. Please keep us updated on the results of your visit to the dealership next week. If you would like any assistance working with the dealership in regards to these concerns, please feel free to private message me. You can also reach me at socialmedia@gm.com. When you send your email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time. I will be looking for your updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

statredud
08-30-13, 11:40 PM
Hey Greg,

I will let you know. Just checked on the Goodyear prices compared to Michelin MXM4. Wow! Goodyears are $150 and the Michelins are $290. Why would Cadillac put such a cheap tire on their top sedan?

Cadjiek
08-31-13, 12:18 PM
Statredud,

I'll be curious to see what the problem was that is causing the rear end rattle. I don't know if you read my post a few weeks back, but I had a rattle in the rear suspension. It turned out they had to get a GM engineer in to look at it and discovered that the rear spring mounts needed to be lubricated. My service manager was concerned it was going to be an ongoing issue with the XTS. It was the first time he had seen this. Mine was really pronounced when backing into my driveway when the wheels would make contact with the lip at the edge of my driveway approach and the street. Please let us know if your mounts needed to be lubed also. My tires by the way after 5500 mile are still as quiet as day one. I also have the Goodyear 19" Luxury model.

Cadjiek

statredud
08-31-13, 05:05 PM
Hey Cadjek,

That is exactly what is happening with my suspension. I will make sure to tell the service tech this. Thanks!

Johnfran
09-01-13, 01:00 PM
Statredud,

I'll be curious to see what the problem was that is causing the rear end rattle. I don't know if you read my post a few weeks back, but I had a rattle in the rear suspension. It turned out they had to get a GM engineer in to look at it and discovered that the rear spring mounts needed to be lubricated. My service manager was concerned it was going to be an ongoing issue with the XTS. It was the first time he had seen this. Mine was really pronounced when backing into my driveway when the wheels would make contact with the lip at the edge of my driveway approach and the street. Please let us know if your mounts needed to be lubed also. My tires by the way after 5500 mile are still as quiet as day one. I also have the Goodyear 19" Luxury model.

Cadjiek

Dealer found my rear struts were leaking and they replaced both but still have the noise as listed above. Will return to the dealer this week about rear springs mount.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-01-13, 04:39 PM
Hey Cadjek,

That is exactly what is happening with my suspension. I will make sure to tell the service tech this. Thanks!
Hello statredud,

I will make sure I pass along your feedback regarding the tires to the correct group within our organization. I apologize that you feel that the wheels are no up to the Cadillac standard. Please keep us updated in regards to the situation after bringing up the info that Cadjiek has provided you. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Dealer found my rear struts were leaking and they replaced both but still have the noise as listed above. Will return to the dealer this week about rear springs mount.
Hello Johnfran,

I apologize that you are still experiencing the issue after the dealership replaced your rear struts. Please keep us updated in regards to your return visit as well. Feel free to private message us if you would like any assistance working with the dealership as well. Thank you very much for keeping us updated.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

nstar
10-02-13, 10:21 PM
Any one else having excessive road noise in vehicle when traveling at 55 70 mph on concrete interstates ? Road noise is loud and changes with speed and actually hurts ears .Paved parts on road don't seem to be that way. Tires seem to be cause since it changes with road surface.

Johnfran
10-02-13, 11:41 PM
Any one else having excessive road noise in vehicle when traveling at 55 70 mph on concrete interstates ? Road noise is loud and changes with speed and actually hurts ears .Paved parts on road don't seem to be that way. Tires seem to be cause since it changes with road surface.

Same problem here. Called Onstar for directions today and They asked if I had the windows down which I did not and I was on concrete expressway.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-03-13, 12:26 AM
Hello nstar,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this road noise in your vehicle. Have you brought this concern to the attention of your dealership’s service department? I would be more than happy to assist you in working with them to look into this issue. Please feel free to private message me if you would like to further discuss your concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Rmbrunswick
10-04-13, 10:54 PM
'13 XTS Luxury with 6600 miles. Yesterday I had it in for oil change and tire rotation. Now I am getting annoying tire noise and ride harshness. Nitrogen tire pressures where reset by dealer to 34 front and 37 on the rear. Any suggestions.

nstar
10-04-13, 11:40 PM
Yea that is what is strange about my XTS when I purchased vehicle I drove it home it seemed a bit noisy parked it in garage went in house and started filing out information on ipad for onstar after entering all pertinent information onstar's important information section informed me that tire pressure on all tires where at 30 pounds and needed to have pressure brought up to recommended pressure which on door says 35pounds . So next day had pressure brought to 35 pounds and tire noise on certain road surfaces increased and as you said ride firmness changed. I guess I wonder if they where set at 30 pounds for this reason since all 4 wheels where set at 30 pounds of air for test drive before sale? After reading your post this just came to mind but seriously points to tires and maybe they know it.My vehicle XTS Luxury has 875 miles on it and tires are noisy.
'13 XTS Luxury with 6600 miles. Yesterday I had it in for oil change and tire rotation. Now I am getting annoying tire noise and ride harshness. Nitrogen tire pressures where reset by dealer to 34 front and 37 on the rear. Any suggestions.

ryannel2003
10-05-13, 12:22 AM
Friend of mine had a demo XTS4 Premium w/ 20" wheel option and Bridgestone tires. He could never get them balanced or ride correctly. GM replaced tires with Michelins and they made a WORLD of difference in the car. Quieter, smoother, better handling... that's what GM should be putting on these cars. Not a fan of the Goodyears either.

Stanman
10-05-13, 09:51 AM
I have found that the tire pressure readings in the monitoring system are low by up to 4 lbs. try lowering the pressure to 35 lbs as measured by a tire gauge.

Rmbrunswick
10-05-13, 10:55 AM
Readjusted pressures this morning while still cold to 33#. We'll see if that makes any difference

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-05-13, 06:09 PM
Hello Rmbrunswick,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this noise and harshness after your tire rotation and oil change. Have you contacted the service department that did this service and let them know about this concern? Please let me know if you would like any assistance working with them to look further into this issue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

5.0 lsc
10-05-13, 11:20 PM
I drove a luxury with the 19" good years and the premium with 20" bridge stones which I ended up leasing, I couldn't tell a difference. However some nice Michelin pilots of some sort would be sweet.

r34220
11-08-13, 02:50 PM
The tire noise is the only thing I dont like about my XTS. The dealer says the tire noise is normal :(

statredud
11-11-13, 10:11 PM
My tire noise is not getting any better. Dealer did not help at all on this. Like another post, the tires are really loud on concrete roads. Paved roads they are fine. We have a lot of concrete roads in the Atlanta area, so the majority of the time I am listening to excessive tire noise. Really like the XTS, but the tire noise is a major problem. Our 2012 Dodge 1500 4x4 Laramie is quieter than the Cadillac.

nstar
11-12-13, 12:21 AM
Yes this is problem that dealers don't seem to want to deal with. Its also is embarrassing when you have passengers in vehicle when you are on a concrete road surface at highway speed and they ask what that noise is and you say its tires. On a new 60000 dollar vehicle !
My tire noise is not getting any better. Dealer did not help at all on this. Like another post, the tires are really loud on concrete roads. Paved roads they are fine. We have a lot of concrete roads in the Atlanta area, so the majority of the time I am listening to excessive tire noise. Really like the XTS, but the tire noise is a major problem. Our 2012 Dodge 1500 4x4 Laramie is quieter than the Cadillac.

r34220
11-22-13, 03:03 PM
Yes this is problem that dealers don't seem to want to deal with. Its also is embarrassing when you have passengers in vehicle when you are on a concrete road surface at highway speed and they ask what that noise is and you say its tires. On a new 60000 dollar vehicle !

Seems General Motors Executive Office does not as well!

marktanner
11-24-13, 04:08 PM
I just turned in a '14 XTS Premium with 20" Bridgestone run-flats that I had for a loaner. It had 600 miles on it when I got it, and turned it in 8 days and 230 miles later. Very nice car, and it drove much better than I expected. I was very shocked, however, at the high level of tire noise that this car possessed. It was especially notable on concrete and imperfect highways, which we have a lot of here in the metro Atlanta area, as already noted by a previous poster. My ATS Premium, with the 18" Bridgestone summer run-flats, is much quieter. My car was even quieter when it was new, and I have detected more tire noise now that my car has 6000 miles on it.

This particular car had the optional spare tire. If I had this car, I would definitely consider changing tires, probably a non-run-flat with better grip, ride, and noise. I wouldn't bother with the 20's, either, unless it was already standard, like on a Platinum.

statredud
11-24-13, 08:00 PM
My dealer says they are not getting complaints on the tires, which I find hard to believe! Guess I am the only one in Atlanta that is saying anything? I have had calls from Cadillac and got the same answers I get on this board and the dealer. "Sorry, we will pass this on to the people at Cadillac that handle this" Then I hear nothing. I agree with another post, spending $50+k on this car and getting the run around on the tire & navigation issue is very very very frustrating! This may be my last Cadillac now........

statredud
12-11-13, 08:19 PM
So has anyone had their tires replaced/upgraded to Michelins and at what cost? I really hate to spend more money on tires, but I leased this car for 3 yrs and do not want to deal with tire noise & ride issues the whole time.

330GT
12-12-13, 07:21 PM
So has anyone had their tires replaced/upgraded to Michelins and at what cost? I really hate to spend more money on tires, but I leased this car for 3 yrs and do not want to deal with tire noise & ride issues the whole time.

I'm also interested in hearing from folks out there who have replaced/upgraded to Michelins (20") what kind of Michelins did you get and at what cost???
Did the Cadillac dealer take care of this????

rkhoots
12-12-13, 09:30 PM
I have the same issiies with the tires. I have 3500 miles on mine and they have not gotten any better. They are the loudest on concrete.

Kauai 1
12-15-13, 02:12 PM
I am not impressed by the Goodyears on our XTS Lux. A bad vibration problem was finally resolved after the dealer replaced SIX (6) tires. Yes, six; two new replacement tires, in addition to all four original tires, were faulty. Putting a $125 tire on an XTS does not make sense, and reflects poorly on Cadillac.
I wonder how many owners believe that problems created by bad tires are "normal" for Cadillac, and will never buy another!?!

freonphil
01-02-14, 04:36 PM
We just got an 2013 XTS ten days ago, I have been back three times. The first time they balanced the tires, I watched they had a heck of time.
I owned an automotive service center for 30 years, if I had a new tire that was hard to balance I would have returned it.
We took the car I went out on the highway at 70 miles an hour the tires vibrated terrible.
I took the car back they swapped for wheels and tires from another car. We went out on the highway again the high speed vibration went away,
but at low speed just took my foot off the brake,no gas the tire felt like it was a foot ball. I did some research and found out these tires
are an $127.00 tire. I went to the dealer and asked how did GM get away installing a price tire on a car that is close to sixty thousand dollars.
P245/45R19 RS-A2 Tire Rack $127.000
We have 400 miles on the car, all of it has been road testing these inferior tires. I told the dealer today I do not care how they do it I want a real set of tires or I am returning this car. I would not take there crap about putting thousands of miles on there tires.

Kauai 1
01-03-14, 01:30 PM
Freonphil, your experience is very similar to ours. What really got me was the fact two replacement tires were faulty, as well as the four originals! We were fortunate that our dealer worked to solve the problem, finally finding four new "good" tires (still RS-A2's). It is most disturbing that GM would use a substandard tire on any vehicle, let alone a Cadillac. This is the type of poor decision making that led to the old GM's failure.
Good luck working with your dealer. They should be able to obtain four satisfactory tires. You may want to open a case with customer assistance, and be sure to document, in detail, the matter.

5.0 lsc
01-05-14, 08:28 AM
I would say that my Bridgestone potenzas 20" are pretty loud down here in Florida but I do not have vibration issues as of 2300 miles. I would also be very interested in Michelin upgrade, I would even pay a price difference on them.

georule
01-20-14, 01:34 PM
Had a '14 XTS FWD Luxury as a loaner from the dealer this weekend while my '13 SRX AWD (which has snow tires on it) is being worked on. Very comfortable car, the XTS, and I hope I don't offend anybody, but OMG those Goodyear Eagle RS-A are trash in snow. Couldn't even get up my only slightly sloped driveway in 4" of fresh snow until I parked the car and snowblowed the driveway with my lawn tractor first. My SRX snow tires are Goodyears too (Ultra Grip Ice w/wrt), so this isn't even an anti-Goodyear rant. Just really appalled at those RS-A performance in snow. Anybody here has an XTS in a winter state (I'm in Minnesota) and think it handles poorly in the snow, you're right --get new tires!

rjm
01-22-14, 01:12 PM
Have to add my $.02.

Had an XTS as a loaner while my Escalade was having oil change. Very nice car except the tires. The Goodyears are HORRIBLE. There were sections of my commute where I literally couldn't hear myself think the roar from the tires was so loud. They also slapped over expansion joints, pinged over other small pavement imperfections. Haven't experienced a tire this bad since the Bridgestone Turanzas on my '08 DTS Platinum. And you would think Cadillac would've learned their lesson after the debacle with those tires. But I noticed an XTS Platinumwearing Bridgestone tires. If I purchased/leased one of these, part of the deal would be the dealer trading out the tires for Michelins.

I have to wonder if the choice of tires might be holding back sales of this car. The noise from these tires would be enough to make me definitely say NO. It really is ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE that Cadillac would use such cheap tires. Although the Bridegstones on my Escalade aren't much better.

Cadillac needs to return to Michelin across the model lineup.

Cadjiek
01-22-14, 03:22 PM
There are noisy Michelin tires out there too. My 07 STS had Michelin tires and they were the harshest and noisiest tires I have
ever owned. I'm pretty fussy about tire noise and don't find the Goodyears on my XTS Luxury that loud. They aren't however
the best in the snow although I get around a heck of a lot better than those Michelins that were on the STS. They were scary!!

rjm
01-23-14, 10:54 PM
There are noisy Michelin tires out there too. My 07 STS had Michelin tires and they were the harshest and noisiest tires I have
ever owned. I'm pretty fussy about tire noise and don't find the Goodyears on my XTS Luxury that loud. They aren't however
the best in the snow although I get around a heck of a lot better than those Michelins that were on the STS. They were scary!!

I'd forgotten about those. Primacy HX MXM4 if I remember correctly. Had so many other problems out of my 05 STS, GM reluctantly cancelled my lease after 6 months, I'd all but forgotten that was first negative experience with Michelin tires. Thinking back, I blamed them on the car as well. The car was THAT bad. If that car had been my first experience with Cadillac and Michelin, I'd never have another of either!!