: New rear bumpber

Escalde coop
05-09-13, 02:26 AM
I am putting the new 2012 bumber on my escalde, thinking about going with the magna flow two out and two in. Going to get the 2nd pipe wrap around the spare tire to come out the rear bumber, it looks as if the rear bumper has holders so i do not need tips right? What do you guys think?

nathanjax
05-09-13, 02:50 AM
Well, the issue of keeping your spare has been BEAT TO DEATH, so I won't discuss that (you can search "dual" or "premium") but as far as the muffler goes, that would be a good choice. the big magnaflow will still give it a little rumble without being too loud, and will be perfect for that bumper. When I did my premium bumper, I kept the stock exhaust and just did a Y pipe after the rear end. Now I have a magnaflow (because I got a great deal on it) but it's just the 1 in 1 out and went in place of my stock muffler

my conversion - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/270129-my-2012-premium-bumper-upgrade.html

Escalde coop
05-09-13, 03:22 AM
Ok thanks. I got a really good deal on the two in and out. And really can't wait till its done. I am also going withthe k&n air intake. Anothing thing is, i don't need the tips due to the new bumpber comes with them right, just need the pipe to reach?

nathanjax
05-09-13, 03:25 AM
i don't need the tips due to the new bumper comes with them right, just need the pipe to reach?

correct. the pipe just sits in the middle of the outlets on the bumper

Escalde coop
05-09-13, 03:32 AM
thanks alot

Cadsrfun
05-09-13, 07:19 AM
When I did my conversion I had the pipes enter the exhaust tips about 1-1/2". I used a fabricated Y 3-1/2" inlet to (2) 2-1/2" outlets then ran to the tips. It actually has a nice rumble with the stock muffler minus the resonator for some reason. The muffler has about 70K miles on it. When you buy your parts make sure to order the U-nuts and bolts that attach the exhaust tips to the bumper cover. I also mounted the hitch cover bracket to the bumper cover with large aluminum pop rivets. Somehow I ordered screws that were too small in diameter. I believe the factory uses rivets too. That's about it.

Escalde coop
05-09-13, 09:34 AM
Am going magnaflow . But was wonder if the factor sound with the pipes spit would sound. And thinks a lot bolt would have over looked that. And the hitch cover is a big thing. I lost a few of them when I had my
Last truck. Was looking for a neat way to hook it up thanks

blackex
05-09-13, 09:43 AM
Just had a 3.5"in and 3.5"out Magnaflow installed and I definitely like the aggressive sound that is added to the exhaust.

Cadsrfun
05-09-13, 12:36 PM
When I did my conversion I had the pipes enter the exhaust tips about 1-1/2". I used a fabricated Y 3-1/2" inlet to (2) 2-1/2" outlets then ran to the tips. It actually has a nice rumble with the stock muffler minus the resonator for some reason. The muffler has about 70K miles on it. When you buy your parts make sure to order the U-nuts and bolts that attach the exhaust tips to the bumper cover. I also mounted the hitch cover bracket to the bumper cover with large aluminum pop rivets. Somehow I ordered screws that were too small in diameter. I believe the factory uses rivets too. That's about it.

One final thing. It has been mentioned before on the bumper conversion but it is important enough to repeat. The stock bumper cover has two brackets that are bolted to the bottom of the bumper cover and is welded to the rear bumper frame (on each side of the hitch cover). Unfortunately, they line up exactly where the exhaust tips go with the new bumper cover. So these need to be cut off the rear bumper frame. The dual exhaust tip bumper cover also needs to be braced like the old one, so new brackets need to be made (I recall the old ones ground off were too short for me to reuse). So I made two brackets out of aluminum flat stock and bent them to fit and drilled a hole in each end, one to bolt to the bottom of the new bumper cover and the other to bolt to the rear bumper frame. This was fine until I tried to drill and tap the rear bumper frame and found out it was hardened and tempered tube steel (You are probably sensing I don't have a welder!). Well I ruined two drill bits but made happen and tapped the holes for the upper bolts of the brackets. I would not recomment this. The metal bumper frame is only about 1/8" to 3/16" thick so you don't get many threads of engagement when you are done. The best way would be to fabricate the brackets out of flat steel and bolt to the bottom of the bumper cover and have the exhaust shop tack these two brackets to the bumper frame at the time you are getting your exhaust modified. I wish I would have done that.

Ran-Dom32
05-10-13, 03:07 PM
thanks for the tips re: brackets, I have my new bumper being painted white diamond today & plan on doing the install over the weekend, does the bumper flop around quite a bit w/o the brackets installed? once I have it installed next stop will be the exhaust shop... I going to leave the stock mufler for now, the bumper upgrade was enough $$

Cadsrfun
05-11-13, 03:10 AM
thanks for the tips re: brackets, I have my new bumper being painted white diamond today & plan on doing the install over the weekend, does the bumper flop around quite a bit w/o the brackets installed? once I have it installed next stop will be the exhaust shop... I going to leave the stock mufler for now, the bumper upgrade was enough $$

Ya the bottom of the bumper is quite flimsy. It should make it to the exhaust shop though. It will be interesting how yours sounds with the stock muffler minus the resonator. Mine sounds good. Good luck.

Ran-Dom32
05-14-13, 11:06 AM
got the new bumper installed this morning, total investment so far $950 Bumper kit, $500 paint $40 Platinum Emblem... how much $$ can should I expect to pay to have the exhaust re routed?

Dfost
05-14-13, 07:41 PM
Looks great!

nathanjax
05-14-13, 08:25 PM
looks good.

I think my exhaust cost $150 or so to reroute...

Ran-Dom32
05-14-13, 09:07 PM
thanks, one other thing thats needs to be mentioned, we cut the tip off the stock exhaust to clear the new bumper, don't drive it like this....this generates alot of heat, almost ruined my new bumper , melted off a tab on the bottom corner of the bumper, we then cut the resonator right at the hanger so it would not blow hot exhaust near the plastic, I have an appointment to have my exhaust re routed tomorrow,

Cadsrfun
05-15-13, 01:07 AM
thanks, one other thing thats needs to be mentioned, we cut the tip off the stock exhaust to clear the new bumper, don't drive it like this....this generates alot of heat, almost ruined my new bumper , melted off a tab on the bottom corner of the bumper, we then cut the resonator right at the hanger so it would not blow hot exhaust near the plastic, I have an appointment to have my exhaust re routed tomorrow,

Looks great!

My exhaust cost $300 to have fabricated. My bumper cover cost $600 to have painted. Everything seems to be more expensive in California.

I cut the resonator off at the hanger before driving around. I was worried about the heat. Good luck at the exhaust shop. Let us know how you like the sound.

Ran-Dom32
05-15-13, 04:00 PM
spent 1/2 my day running around to exhaust shops, what a waste of time, Speedy wanted $415 & had to order a 3' Y pipe, Midas wants $350 & they will fabricate the y themsevles, they seems a bit more knowledgeable so I'm going to leave the truck with them tomorrow... everyone is to lazy to get on the ground & look under the truck .. got to put it on the hoist & have a look.... 3 hours later , oh you need to come back tomorrow WTF, ok I'm done venting lol

blackex
05-15-13, 04:08 PM
Has anyone attempted to fabricate their existing bumper to include the chrome exhaust pieces that would be mounted to it?

Ran-Dom32
05-17-13, 10:10 AM
Ya the bottom of the bumper is quite flimsy. It should make it to the exhaust shop though. It will be interesting how yours sounds with the stock muffler minus the resonator. Mine sounds good. Good luck.

It's super quite w/o the resonator for some reason, I had my Y pipe done with 2 1/2 tales to the new tips which entered the tip 1" took it for a ride & it made an awful whisting noise at higher RPM when accelerating, so we added a 3.5 tip & its much better , but don't care for the tip inside a tip look, if you know what I mean

----------

I'm wondering how it comes from the factory? anyone have a pic of a factory equiped dual exhaust? I would like to see inside the tip & how they have it set up

Cadsrfun
05-17-13, 08:45 PM
It's super quite w/o the resonator for some reason, I had my Y pipe done with 2 1/2 tales to the new tips which entered the tip 1" took it for a ride & it made an awful whisting noise at higher RPM when accelerating, so we added a 3.5 tip & its much better , but don't care for the tip inside a tip look, if you know what I mean

That is very odd. Mine is an ESV so there was quite a bit of room to fabricate the exhaust after the exhaust goes over the track bar. The fabricated Y is quite long and after the Y one pipe is quite short and the other is like three times longer. Both stick into the tips 1-1/2". I don't know if that makes a difference but I don't get any whistling. It has a great rumble when it fires up. I wanted to put on a manga flow on but it sounds just right now.

----------

I'm wondering how it comes from the factory? anyone have a pic of a factory equiped dual exhaust? I would like to see inside the tip & how they have it set up

One forum member posted some great pictures of what the stock 2012 exhaust looks like with the stock hangers. It basically looks like a cross flow (camaro style) muffler with one 3-1/2" in and two 2-1/2" outlets that slide into the exhaust tips. The poster said that it was extremely quiet. The installation was beautiful but a little expensive. Just the resonator was over $400. Then I would still need to spend more $ trying to decide what to replace the forward stock muffler with. Mine turned out good enough.

----------

Has anyone attempted to fabricate their existing bumper to include the chrome exhaust pieces that would be mounted to it?

People do some amazing things but if you look at one of those tips it mounts into the bumper cover in a way that uses u-nuts that attach to special tabs in the bumper 2012 bumper cover. Looks pretty tough to me.

Ran-Dom32
05-20-13, 08:35 PM
here is a pic of my set up

Ran-Dom32
05-20-13, 08:38 PM
tip inside

kazza93203
05-23-13, 04:13 PM
Cost me 90 bucks to do a straight pipe to the passenger side exhaust tip. I know I know what about the other tip. How I see it, it isn't really a true dual exhaust either way. Just cause you put a Y pipe in place of the muffler doesn't make it a true dual exhaust. Plus I still prefer my full size spare. Besides let's be honest who really does this mod for performance? I did it for looks more than function.

Ran-Dom32
05-24-13, 10:08 AM
I just think it would look weird in the cold weather when you only have exhaust steam coming from one side, but I see your point also

kazza93203
05-26-13, 04:45 PM
I just think it would look weird in the cold weather when you only have exhaust steam coming from one side, but I see your point also

Well Bakersfield isn't exactly known for its cooler or tropical weather lol. It takes about 2-3 minutes for the steam to clear up in my drive way. Who knows maybe ill but a smoke machine on the passenger side exhaust tip to be safe 😏 lol jk

baggedlvintegra
06-03-13, 10:20 PM
Gotta love Texas dime-a-dozen exhaust shops, mine was done similar to Ran-Doms but for $30 and was in and out in about 45mins

Ran-Dom32
06-04-13, 02:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_E5417xFVo

I'm thinking about adding a magnaflow to replace the stock muffler, you can get them on Ebay for $130, I think It would sound even better with the dual exhaust bumper

andre_outlaw
06-07-13, 01:01 AM
ran-dom.... I sent you a pm about your hitch cover, never got a response

Ran-Dom32
06-07-13, 04:13 PM
I sold it, sorry my PM box was full