: Damper removal

jimbo1320
05-09-13, 03:08 AM
Any tips on removing the damper to install larger one. Can't locate a puller that works.

wait4me
05-09-13, 02:10 PM
The oem gm one works well, or use a Chrysler one if you go to a part store that lets you borrow them. Like autozone.

jimbo1320
05-09-13, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I got one from Advanced auto hoping it will work. I noticed the damper is embossed on the inner radius. That through me off when first examining the job. I had no Idea how I was going to pull it off. Still not that easy because of space limatations.

wetcoast
05-10-13, 02:28 PM
The trick isn't pulling the old pulley off it's installing the new one. I tried redi-rod with washers stacked up and it didn't work. I ended up buying one from Colorado Speed (Hawk LS Series Install tool). Went on like butter.

wait4me
05-10-13, 03:51 PM
We usually use the oem balancer installer to put them back on. It is basically a long threaded rod, with some washers, a hard spacer and two bolts. Makes it so simple.

baabootoo
05-11-13, 12:19 PM
We usually use the oem balancer installer to put them back on. It is basically a long threaded rod, with some washers, a hard spacer and two bolts. Makes it so simple.

I just used a long threaded rod too, which doubles as my tow hook! I didn't need a flexplate tool either, just a quick shot from an air ratchet loosened the bolt.