: Visor warning label removel

GJB
05-08-13, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the airbag warning label on the visors? I read it, I get it and I just don't like the way it looks.

Stevo Supremo
05-08-13, 09:14 PM
on my cobalt I saturated the label with rubbing alcohol and it came off with no glue left behind and the alcohol didn't stain it either.

73JPS
05-08-13, 09:18 PM
I am leery about removing the labels since my car is a lease, but I agree that they really detract from the interior. I suggest heat: a hair dryer will almost certainly soften up the glue enough to remove the label easily, however I don't know how much gluey-gummy residue will be left behind. You might be better served just peeling off the label: they seem to be polymer, so I don't think they'll rip.

Let me know how it goes ;)

Stevo Supremo
05-08-13, 09:21 PM
yeah I'm not being the guinea pig for this one..

73JPS
05-08-13, 09:26 PM
yeah I'm not being the guinea pig for this one..

darn... :sneaky:

GJB
05-08-13, 10:49 PM
Stevo, What type of material was on your Cobalt? I used alcohol on my RX-8 but that was hard plastic. They clearly do not want these things coming off.

Hopefully someone has tried and will have a solution.

shelby12
05-08-13, 10:56 PM
I used Goo Gone on my Shelby, worked great.

EChas3
05-08-13, 11:05 PM
Some members over on the STS forum went the hair-dryer route. I've been strongly considering it. I think the post did suggest mineral spirits as a solvent afterwards, then a cleaning.

Remove stickers easily (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/160108-remove-visor-stickers-easily.html)

73JPS
05-08-13, 11:56 PM
Some members over on the STS forum went the hair-dryer route. I've been strongly considering it. I think the post did suggest mineral spirits as a solvent afterwards, then a cleaning.

Remove stickers easily (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/160108-remove-visor-stickers-easily.html)

I used this method to remove the holographic sticker from the back of a watch once, but for the life of me I can't remember where most of the glue ended up. I was, however, able to re-locate the sticker to the watch paperwork where it remains, undamaged, to this day, so I am thinking that heat is a pretty safe bet. Just remove the sticker slowly and watch that the glue is staying with the sticker and not the visor.

mikesul
05-09-13, 12:05 AM
Use the hair dryer, slowly working the label off. Use Goof Off to remove any leftover stickum. Used this method to remove my Corvette stickers.

flycaster
05-09-13, 08:03 AM
I have tried to remove the sticker from the passenger side. I didn't use the hairdrier method, but started with some very old Goof Off. It was tough going, but got most of it off. However, there was residue. Then I started trying alcohol, paint thinner, acetone, none of which worked, to my great surprise. Then I bought a new Goof Off, that was completely useless. It seems that the old stuff was more potent than the newer stuff. In any event, I will have to gt back to it to remove the rest of the residue, but I'm out of stuff to try (no more older Goof Off). BTW, and importantly, none of the stuff I tried has damaged the visor material (which is light colored).

mikesul
05-09-13, 01:36 PM
I have tried to remove the sticker from the passenger side. I didn't use the hairdrier method, but started with some very old Goof Off. It was tough going, but got most of it off. However, there was residue. Then I started trying alcohol, paint thinner, acetone, none of which worked, to my great surprise. Then I bought a new Goof Off, that was completely useless. It seems that the old stuff was more potent than the newer stuff. In any event, I will have to gt back to it to remove the rest of the residue, but I'm out of stuff to try (no more older Goof Off). BTW, and importantly, none of the stuff I tried has damaged the visor material (which is light colored).

I have two spray cans of 4 year old Goof Off! Vintage stuff, must have matured in the can!! :)

Bertha D Blues
05-09-13, 02:25 PM

What? No peanut butter? Bert

flycaster
05-11-13, 10:36 AM
What? No peanut butter? Bert

Ah, if were only that simple...

J W
05-11-13, 10:46 AM
Maybe a portable steamer might do the job

torkibe
05-12-13, 12:18 AM
You SUXORS! I hadn't even thought of it until I read this thread!!!

73JPS
05-13-13, 12:06 AM
Use the hair dryer, slowly working the label off. Use Goof Off to remove any leftover stickum. Used this method to remove my Corvette stickers.

I think this is the best bet. I may try it later this week, and will report back if I do. Looks like I may have to be the guinea pig for this one.

EricDOhio
05-13-13, 11:32 AM
I haven't tried this yet but I did on my last GM car and it worked flawlessly - BY ACCIDENT! I decided to just cover up the warning with black gaffers tape (similar to duct but used in photography, etc). I cut the tape and covered the label. Then I parked my car in 95F heat in my office parking lot all day with my visors facing out holding up my sun screen. When I got in the car at 5PM that day, I noticed I could peel off the label. No residue - no hassle. Simple perfection. Eureka! I got the ATS in winter so I haven't had any opportunity yet. Could be something to try.

Cisitalia
05-15-13, 02:49 PM
I hate those stickers and took both of them off the first week I had the car back in November. No real good solution here. Because the visors have a cloth like material, liquid solvents are not the best choice. Just slowly peeled them off with finger nails. Still some glue residue remains, but much better looking then having the stickers.

GJB
05-15-13, 05:00 PM
On the passenger’s side I used 90% isopropyl alcohol, soaked paper towel and used cellophane to hold in place. The label peeled off with ease but the white glue was there and with the cloth like material on the visor I was hesitant to work on it with any different solvents. I let it soak for about 30 Min so I’m not sure if longer would have made a difference. Wife said she knows what she is getting me for Father’s Day, a new passenger side visor. Sucks to be me....

Stevo Supremo
05-22-13, 12:23 PM
the guinea pig has spoken! I'm not touching my visor :suspense: lol, sux though man

GJB
05-22-13, 06:38 PM
Hey if thats the worst thing I do to the car I'll be happy. I could just remove the visor on that side of the car and have the Mrs. wear sun glasses.:)