: Best way to clean the engine bay?

weister42
05-08-13, 04:30 PM
7 years ago I had a place detail and clean the engine bay for me and they got moisture into the plug boot so it ran like crap, they apologized and fixed it but that was the last time I cleaned my engine bay.

So what do you guys do to keep the engine bay clean?

Ranger
05-08-13, 10:02 PM
I've always used a garden hose (judiciously of coarse) or an engine cleaning gun (requires an air compressor). Not sure I'd use the garden hose any more with the COP ignition.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_14019.jpg

CadillacLuke24
05-09-13, 01:24 AM
Dilute some mean green 1 part to 10 water, and dampen a rag with the mix. Wipe away.

amunderdog
05-09-13, 02:00 AM
Best way?
:suspect:
A bucket - A rag - A tooth brush - A gallon of diesel - compressed air.

Submariner409
05-09-13, 09:25 AM
Basically, there is no "best way". Pressure washing is out, as is garden hose - too many electrical possibilities as well as water in the engine block valley, (thus flooding the starter motor), and ruining the alternator/voltage regulator.

Time, spray bottle, mean green mix, rags, brushes, air gun, shop vac, scotch&water, old toothbrushes, ArmorAll (or SOaG), patience.

drewsdeville
05-09-13, 06:36 PM
I do still use the pressure washer on modern cars...but my intentions aren't exactly the same. I do not attempt to wash the engine itself - it doesn't bother me if it's dirty - but I do, however, pressure wash the strut towers, inner wheel wells, the rad cradle, battery tray, other sheetmetal nooks and crannies, and steel cooling lines where salt buildup over the winter may cause corrosion trouble down the road (I'm not worried about it looking clean, just not corroding). Grease, oil, and regular dirt is of little concern and can stay in place. Most of this stuff you'd never be able to reach with solvent, a brush, and eternal patience without disassembly (take the rad out of a daily driven northern vehicle, and be amazed at the years salt and corrosion you may find underneath!). Much of it really needs to be rinsed clean to be effective rather than wiped off. Again, this is done carefully as to not directly spray the engine itself. I do this once every spring when winter's over, and have yet to experience any negative results...

N*Caddy
05-11-13, 01:13 AM
I take great pride to have my engine bay clean, actually is cleaner than the car body.
The BEST way is to do it often, is just a matter or wiping the dust, if you let it sit for long time it will be a difficult job.
I clean my engine weekly (seriously).
http://imageshack.us/a/img88/4889/radcover.jpg

vincentm
05-11-13, 01:39 AM
I take great pride to have my engine bay clean, actually is cleaner than the car body.
The BEST way is to do it often, is just a matter or wiping the dust, if you let it sit for long time it will be a difficult job.
I clean my engine weekly (seriously).
http://imageshack.us/a/img88/4889/radcover.jpg

You have a crooked plug wire :p

Dadillac
05-11-13, 09:25 PM
I spray the entire engine compartment with a 3:1 dilution of Simple Green. I let it sit for a few minutes. Then I take my Daytona Speed Brush with a bucket of car wash soap and hit as many areas as I can. Rinse it all away with the garden hose set to a soft setting. Have been doing this twice a year for a lot of years without issue.

Don