: Lifter failure

Purevil
05-08-13, 09:27 AM
So, am I the only one to have a lifter fail on a low milage V that's only on a CAI and 2.55" upper?????? FML

wait4me
05-08-13, 11:48 AM
Ive seen 2 others. Both 2010s.

One was bone stock with an air box. The other was lower 10inch pulley, tune, air box. Both where cars from other states that had work done at other shops " I didn't touch them at all before they got to me", I got to repair them after the dealers didn't cover them under warranty for abuse.

It pin sheared off on the lifter causing the ball tip to sit into the lifter itself and was grinding the tip off, and the cam lobe.

Both cars complained of misfire and weird noises to the dealers.

Purevil
05-08-13, 12:29 PM
Glad that when it started tapping, we shut her down and immediately started checking the drivetrain. I'm waiting to hear how it looks after they pull the heads today and swap them all out.

wait4me
05-08-13, 02:53 PM
well sad thing is, it killed the oil pump as well as the little bearings on the wheel came out and got thru the pick up and right into the rotors. I found them in the oil pump, in the oil pump return line to the oil filter as well. The oil pump had a few nice pits in the rotor rings from it.

Easy fix though, just make sure they pull the plugs on the block and clean out the oil passage ways really good. The rest of the bearings will be in the filter itself if it passed thru.

So, new pickup. new pump. new camshaft, and new lifter. HOWEVER you might have a bad lifter bore afterwards as well, so look for any damage. IF there are any scratches, you will have to pull the block and get lifter bushings installed on the block.

Random84
05-08-13, 09:48 PM
Ive seen 2 others. Both 2010s.

One was bone stock with an air box.... I got to repair them after the dealers didn't cover them under warranty for abuse.

What am I missing - bone stock with a modified box and their warranty claim was denied? What kind of abuse was suggested?

Unless there's more to the story, that seems like a good reason to lawyer up.

wait4me
05-08-13, 10:22 PM
Not sure, I was not involved. I just got the pile of parts in boxes and an empty shell of a car. Trans, engine, in crates, front suspension was all pulled off and held back in with 1 bolt ect..

Purevil
05-08-13, 10:55 PM
Not sure, I was not involved. I just got the pile of parts in boxes and an empty shell of a car. Trans, engine, in crates, front suspension was all pulled off and held back in with 1 bolt ect..

Wow, what a mess. Everything was contained on mine, just a spring failure within the lifter. RPM got my ride back up and running in no time :thumbsup: now to see what she puts out after they work their dyno magic on her tomorrow.

wait4me
05-09-13, 01:11 PM
Ahh, that would be different than these failures.. Can you email me pictures of the lifter, and the guts with the broken spring shown please? jessebubb@ yahoo.com

the blur
05-12-13, 07:45 PM
How could they not cover that if the car is bone stock ???

pat2t2f
05-13-13, 07:07 AM
It's not bone stock. There don't seem to be a lot of mods but an intake and an upper from what the original post said.

Purevil
05-13-13, 04:57 PM
Yeah, CAI & upper, didn't even bother with the dealer to deny it, lol.