Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need quick advice on hooking up battery maintainer to V under the hood

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
About to store my V, 2013. I found the positive terminal under the hood and pulled off the plastic cap, do I just hook the negitive to anything metal under the hood, there is the idler pulley next to the positive terminal and that's where I was thinking of hooking the negitive or is there a negitive termal, can't see one? Also is it ok to leave the hood open for the summer with the maintainer hooked up, I mean the alarm won't go off or anything that way right? The hood is currently open and the alarm is not going off, so I guess it's ok, or is it harder on those gas struts with the hood open and maybe I should shut it and just route the cables towards the front of the of the car?

#4 ·
Good advice on the strut tower, worked great, car is charging now and going to sleep for the summer. Where I live summers the roads are not good, the V is much better suited to make Florida it's home, so I'll be driving my new VW'b all summer, well that and my 2009 5.3 Colorado which I plan on doing a Supercharger on so that will be my hot rod summers, should be nearly as fast as the V when I'm done with it.

#9 ·
Oh ya, I'll miss the V big time, I'm from Newport and the roads are like 15 mph and potholes everywhere, much better suited towards the VW. I have another Colorado at my house there, it's a 2009 and thats when the 5.3L had the option for Leather interior, Sunroof, fully loaded. The 2012 I just traded in had cloth and no sunroof, much better off with the VW. Besides that I put a heck of lot of miles on the V this winter and I dont want to be putting another 3000 miles on it round trip from here to R.I, best of leaving the car. I come back to Fla for a couple weeks halfway through the summer so I'll drive it then than the again next fall.

#11 ·
Thanks Trap, ya I'll definately check in. Not only was it hard to leave my V, it was hard to leave my house, I just built my dream house there, watched it be built all winter and then as soon as it was done, moved in and 2 days later I'm heading back up north. Oh well, I'm anxious to get out sailing in Newport, nothing like it. My plan is within a couple years to move to fla full time, hence the dream house. The V'dub is running great, averaging 47 mpg on my trip back and no problems, very tight car and comfortable, great travel car. Getting diesel is a little more of a pain in the butt though. I was in NC today trying to get fuel and there was one pump, somebody parked with a lawn car equipment trailer that was shooting the bull out in front of the store and on the other side there was 18 wheeler that had a huge tank and was taking forever. When I finally got up to the pump after the 18 wheeler left the nozzle would not fit into my tank, it was one of those huge truck nozzles with the big fat hose, so I tried the other side of the pump, nope, that one was smaller, but it was a gasoline nozzle on the diesel pump, starting 2013 vw put a lockout on the tanks to keep gas nozzles from fitting in the tank, so that was a no go too, one nozzle was too big and the other too small, lol. I found diesel down the road (more $$$) that had the correct auto diesel nozzle. So ya, you gotta work for the money savings.

#13 ·
Manual has a place for the neg jump point. I put the clamp attached to the top on the bolt, not under the washer, to keep it from scraping the painted surface underneath, like I'm afraid I did in the beginning. I've left the hood open for months with what seems to be no negative effect.... Have a safe trip!

#14 ·
Trip when well, the VW is comfortable only when you hit all the bumps on the rough roads in NY and New England you really feel em. I'd much be driving the V, but we all gotta make some sacrafices in life. That's good news about the hood because I just left mine open. I'm probabley going back to Fla mid summer and will drive the car then. Took my truck out for a blast today, it felt like a rocket ship compared the VW, I'm really thinking about doing a STS supercharger on that to bring the HP over 500 and do some drag racing with that this summer. I want to eventually modify my V wagon, it is just not fast enough for me the way it is.

#16 ·
I am saving money and I am enjoying driving the VW, it's a great car. It actually handles really well and it's fun to drive on curvy rodes in manual shift mode. It moves along pretty good in sport mode too. The trans shifts much faster than the V, fastest shifting automatic in the world in the VW.

#17 ·
Gotta luv them snowbirds. Come down here, spend their money so we don't have to have a state income tax. Enjoy RI and the sailing. For that I am sufficiently jealous! See you in September/October

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.