: 500 cadillac motor ?s

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
05-07-13, 08:33 PM
i always wanted a 500 cadillac block to build,my question is are they any 500 motors thats better than others? i know they came in a few makes in the cadillac line but is there 1 better than the other? or pretty much all the same??

csbuckn
05-07-13, 11:34 PM
1970 was the best because of high compression, then I think it goes 71-73 is next and then 74-76 are the least favorite but I'm not 100 percent on that though.

cadillac_al
05-08-13, 07:36 AM
If you are rebuilding it then it won't make much difference what year you buy.

The Ape Man
05-08-13, 07:44 PM
The '70 is nice. Good luck finding one though. '71 was first year for low compression using dished pistons. Owned a perfect copy of one in 1982. It didn't compare for power to the '72 which most likely had a different camshaft and/or cam timing.
'73 and '74 I have not had but they still used dished pistons. '75 and '76 went to open chamber heads and almost flat top pistons which has always been an easier beast to tune for maximum economy for me.
The style heads you land up with will dictate a lot of things.

Roadmaster75
05-09-13, 11:05 AM
IF you are building one to put into something other than the car it came with,
then suggest finding a 500 from an Eldorado. They have the desirable
rear sump oil pan. This allows them to fit in a variety of
vehicles with minimal modification.
The engine will respond more readily to MINOR upgrades than other makes of motors ... most notably
intake manifold/carb, and headers. Combined with a mild (MTS) cam/lifter set up, you
will have a real stump puller that also cruises around town nicely. I have rebuilt these engines
and they are lots of fun, but tolerances on Cadillac engines of this era are closer than Chevys, etc.
SO, buy good rebuild parts and follow the shop manual! Pay particular attention to the re-use of pistons & make sure
they go back into their original holes! You will note in the manual that the factory used at least 4 variations
of piston diameter when building them. They will be coded and matched on the block and piston.
Have fun!

70eldo
05-30-13, 09:35 AM
cad500parts have plenty of parts (and advice) for rebuilding 500cid