: Tpms

Subsailor613
05-07-13, 12:53 PM
Has anyone had luck replacing the battery in a TPMS wheel sensor ?
Happy Motoring. :cool2::cool::cool2:

dannyquest
05-07-13, 03:10 PM
Subsailor613, I thought the tmps sensor was a sealed unit and no way to replace the battery. Hey that how the sell more parts. Danny

Subsailor613
05-07-13, 06:13 PM
I am getting ONE replaced soon, and I will get the old one to play with.
Just put it out there, maybe someone got lucky with a procedure,
to also reseal it ?
Happy Motoring.

ddalder
05-07-13, 06:18 PM
I have heard some people have had success with this (not sure about on the STS forum), but to me it seems like a lot of work with a reasonable potential of future problems or limited life expectancy versus the costs of a new replacement. It may be interesting to pull one apart out of interest though.

chazglenn3
05-07-13, 08:05 PM
Yeah, not worth the trouble to me. I get replacements for $60 installed at Discount Tire.

Subsailor613
05-07-13, 09:06 PM
Whoa, I got an estimate from Firestone for around $ 180.00/one wheel.
Definitly will check out Discount tire !
Thanks.

ddalder
05-07-13, 09:11 PM
Sounds like there's a franchise owner looking to retire... on your business.

curtc
05-07-13, 09:13 PM
Whoa, I got an estimate from Firestone for around $ 180.00/one wheel.
Definitly will check out Discount tire !
Thanks.

Been going there for years....No one can beat their tire prices. They will also match their Discount Tire Direct pricing in store. The replacement certificates are definitely worth it too IMHO. One flat pays for the price of all 4 certs...

EChas3
05-07-13, 09:13 PM
$30 for the sensor. I'm going to give battery replacement a try with the old one. Why not?

MoistCabbage
05-08-13, 01:02 AM
So you're going to drive to the tire shop, pay to have the tire dismounted, TPMS sensor removed, standard valve stem installed, tire mounted and balanced. Then drive he, try replacing the battery, drive back to the tire shop, and pay for another dismount/mount/balance?

tsgrpr97
05-08-13, 03:41 AM
So you're going to drive to the tire shop, pay to have the tire dismounted, TPMS sensor removed, standard valve stem installed, tire mounted and balanced. Then drive he, try replacing the battery, drive back to the tire shop, and pay for another dismount/mount/balance?

No, you drive home and back to the shop on the spare...

ddalder
05-08-13, 11:37 AM
No, you drive home and back to the shop on the spare...
Still a crazy amount of time spent and gas used driving back and forth to save such a small amount of money. To each their own, but I wouldn't even consider it.

Ludacrisvp
05-08-13, 12:08 PM
unless the shop was within a mile or so from your house.
But honestly I would just bring some tools with me and do it in the parking lot if I was hellbent on saving a little bit.

EChas3
05-08-13, 07:48 PM
No, I spent $30 for a replacement sensor. When I next have my tires rotated, I'll have the shop replace the sensor & give me the old one.

I'll fiddle with it and get it to work. Next time either my wife or I have one go bad, I'll have it replaced with my spare. And we will see how that works, or how long!

mckellyb
05-14-13, 10:46 PM
I kept two of the old sensors, one OEM one not, from my recent new tire mounting.

I found 'em for $40 ea. on Amazon. They work just fine and were the same style as what came out.

This said, looking at them, I can't see how I'd get them back together solidly enough to last in a tire for infinity-minus-1 revolutions.

EChas3
05-15-13, 07:57 PM
I figured I'd simply cast it in resin w' hardener (much like epoxy). If the battery lasts half as long as OEM, I'll get 4 years out of it for $10.