: Shops that specilize in head gasket repair.

BONNEVILLEGXP
05-07-13, 01:22 AM
Are there any shops around the country that are specifically known to do outstanding work on the N*? Preferred in the Midwest. Also what are the procedures followed to best repair the problem for good. Any brands of stud kits that are better than others and so on. Also any preventative maintenance that would be advised while doing the head job? Thanks, your help is very much appreciated.

Ranger
05-07-13, 09:56 AM
I am sure there are many shops who can handle the work. It's not rocket science (though many shops are intimidated by the Northstar for some reason). Midwest is a big area. I know of two in northern Ill. (one shop and one Cadillac tech who does side jobs).

You can use Norm's NS300L inserts, Timesert's "big Serts", Northstar Performances studs or CCC's studs.

Submariner409
05-07-13, 11:21 AM
There's a thread right next to this one that is germane - "Huge thanks .......". The Northstar head gasket sticky (and other Northstar stickies) in the Engines forum is the answer to the head gasket repair question.

Preventive maintenance while the engine is apart ??? Depends on mileage, parts measurement specifications vs. actual, oil weeps/leaks, oil consumption (rings/valve stem seals), timing chain slipper/tensioner/guide wear, any of a dozen other usual engine repair procedures.

IF the rest of the engine is/was tight, insert/stud installation and a top overhaul is all that's needed.

BONNEVILLEGXP
05-07-13, 12:56 PM
There's a thread right next to this one that is germane - "Huge thanks .......". The Northstar head gasket sticky (and other Northstar stickies) in the Engines forum is the answer to the head gasket repair question.

Preventive maintenance while the engine is apart ??? Depends on mileage, parts measurement specifications vs. actual, oil weeps/leaks, oil consumption (rings/valve stem seals), timing chain slipper/tensioner/guide wear, any of a dozen other usual engine repair procedures.

IF the rest of the engine is/was tight, insert/stud installation and a top overhaul is all that's needed.

To my amazement my N* burns no oil and the half case is hardly moist. The oil pan needs resealed however. 150K and the car runs smooth as silk as far as the actual internals go.

----------

I am sure there are many shops who can handle the work. It's not rocket science (though many shops are intimidated by the Northstar for some reason). Midwest is a big area. I know of two in northern Ill. (one shop and one Cadillac tech who does side jobs).

You can use Norm's NS300L inserts, Timesert's "big Serts", Northstar Performances studs or CCC's studs.

At least in Wichita every shop that I've brought it to has just made problems worse. I would feel better doing it myself, but don't have all the tools needed. I'm thinking I'm going with N* Performance studs.

CadillacLuke24
05-07-13, 01:52 PM
Are there any shops around the country that are specifically known to do outstanding work on the N*? Preferred in the Midwest. Also what are the procedures followed to best repair the problem for good. Any brands of stud kits that are better than others and so on. Also any preventative maintenance that would be advised while doing the head job? Thanks, your help is very much appreciated.

Midwest Cadillac Repair-Joe Blau-Palatine, IL.