: For guys who have dropped the oil pan - help me identify this:

YoshiMan
05-06-13, 05:30 PM
On my 2003 ESV with the 6.0, I'm in the process of dropping the oil pan so that I can replace the o-ring on the pickup tube. I got started last night just getting the truck up on stands, and dropping the crossmember and the starter. However, i noticed one additional thing on the pan that looks like its going to have to come off as well, and the factory service manual has nothing that references it. It is # 21 in the picture. This is the only page that mentions it, and it says it's an "oil pan cover"... But whatever it is, it looks like it has two metal pipes running out of it and towards the front of the car. It looks to me like an oil cooler, but the FSM and google searches say nothing about these having one:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/YoshiMan38/Escalade/oilcoolergasket_zpsf22161b1.jpg (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/YoshiMan38/media/Escalade/oilcoolergasket_zpsf22161b1.jpg.html)

I guess my question is does that thing bolt to the oil pan? I'm going to go to the dealer and pick up the gasket (#20 in the picture just so i don't get jammed up, but maybe someone can enlighten me on what exactly that thing is!

Logandiagnostic
05-06-13, 06:04 PM
My hard drive based GM service manual refers to it under 'engine oil cooler line replacement.' I attached a pic..

wesyder
05-06-13, 10:51 PM
On my 2003 ESV with the 6.0, I'm in the process of dropping the oil pan so that I can replace the o-ring on the pickup tube. I got started last night just getting the truck up on stands, and dropping the crossmember and the starter. However, i noticed one additional thing on the pan that looks like its going to have to come off as well, and the factory service manual has nothing that references it. It is # 21 in the picture. This is the only page that mentions it, and it says it's an "oil pan cover"... But whatever it is, it looks like it has two metal pipes running out of it and towards the front of the car. It looks to me like an oil cooler, but the FSM and google searches say nothing about these having one:

I guess my question is does that thing bolt to the oil pan? I'm going to go to the dealer and pick up the gasket (#20 in the picture just so i don't get jammed up, but maybe someone can enlighten me on what exactly that thing is!

Oil cooler lines, yes it bolts to the pan

YoshiMan
05-08-13, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. The Cadillac dealer had to do some hunting, because they said the oil cooler and the related gasket were not in their E-catalog, but i got what i needed to get it back together

wesyder
05-08-13, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. The Cadillac dealer had to do some hunting, because they said the oil cooler and the related gasket were not in their E-catalog, but i got what i needed to get it back together

Cool