: Quick question on an LS7 clutch swap

fej
05-06-13, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, stuck on mobile access for the next few hours and have searched as much as I could. Just looking to confirm for an 07 V that the LS7 clutch assembly is a direct bolt in, no shim and that you need to notch the case a wee bit to clear room for the remote bleeder. I plan to leave the factory master and replace the slave with the LS7 unit. Stock clutch still works ok with 67k on it but trying to lose a little weight and noise.

Thanks in advance
Fej

PISNUOFF
05-06-13, 05:10 PM
Yes, all you need is the LS7 slave, flywheel, disc & pressure plate assembly and no shim. I didn't have to notch the bell housing in my '07.

Dan_Gurney
05-06-13, 10:06 PM
I had to notch my bellhousing on my 07 with the ls7 slave (you could probably bend the one line, but notching the non-critical area seemed easier)

fej
05-06-13, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys

lucasmartin
05-07-13, 11:11 AM
We had to bend the slave cylinder line to get it to match up. Everything else was direct bolt-on

MotorMounts
05-07-13, 03:42 PM
I really don't want to muddy the waters, but i also did the LS7 clutch in my car and if I had to do it again with what I know now, I would look into using a LS6 slave with the LS7 clutch/flywheel. I don't know the details about what shim would be required if any behind the slave cylinder, but the LS7 slave comes with a line that is intended for a Corvette, hence it is about 18" longer than the original LS6 slave hydraulic line. Folding up this extra hose between the trans tunnel and the bell housing(tight space), along with the required modifications/grinding of the bell housing to accommodate the different angle of hydraulic line that the LS7 slave has than the original LS6 slave. What I am saying, is that if I had a mechanics shop that was going to do this swap over and over, I would better pick the parts the second and third time around.

H-town_V
05-07-13, 07:11 PM
I really don't want to muddy the waters, but i also did the LS7 clutch in my car and if I had to do it again with what I know now, I would look into using a LS6 slave with the LS7 clutch/flywheel. I don't know the details about what shim would be required if any behind the slave cylinder, but the LS7 slave comes with a line that is intended for a Corvette, hence it is about 18" longer than the original LS6 slave hydraulic line. Folding up this extra hose between the trans tunnel and the bell housing(tight space), along with the required modifications/grinding of the bell housing to accommodate the different angle of hydraulic line that the LS7 slave has than the original LS6 slave. What I am saying, is that if I had a mechanics shop that was going to do this swap over and over, I would better pick the parts the second and third time around.

You wanna waaah-burger with those French cries?

PISNUOFF
05-07-13, 08:47 PM
Use the CTS-V slave and pay $100 more for it than an LS7 plus you have to buy a shim. I think if I were to install a fourth LS7 clutch I would deal with the extra length of the line rather than forking out an additional $200ish. The extra line never hurt the performance of either of my LS7 clutches.