: resetting average fuel economy

harrynw
05-06-13, 06:21 AM
I have noticed that now when I press the set button, when the DIC is on fuel economy, it only goes to 20 mpg average, even if sitting still. It used to go to 0 and then start climbing as I drove. Anyone else have this problem? I tried holding the set button, pressing it several times, all to no avail.

Marc NY
05-06-13, 07:27 AM
I have noticed that now when I press the set button, when the DIC is on fuel economy, it only goes to 20 mpg average, even if sitting still. It used to go to 0 and then start climbing as I drove. Anyone else have this problem? I tried holding the set button, pressing it several times, all to no avail.That fuel economy counter averages out your driving history. When you reset it it will start off at 0 and will climb up steadily depending on how you are driving. If you take a long trip or drive for weeks it will never start off at ZERO again for it is a running "average" that means the more you drive the less fluctuation will occur. The only way for you to get ZERO again is to reset the counter each time your vehicle is either in park or stopped. :)

harrynw
05-07-13, 06:32 AM
That is what I thought I wrote. I know how it works, or at least how it is supposed to work. Now, when sitting still, it goes from what ever it was reading to 20 mpg, instead of 0. It used to go to 0 when sitting still.

PearlWhiteSTS
06-13-13, 09:46 PM
Just realized that my 2010 is behaving in the exact same way. I press reset, it flashes 0 then immediately to 20 mpg. Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?

harrynw
06-14-13, 07:03 AM
No I haven't. I don't drive it much, so I still have a couple of months before I need to take it in to get serviced. I know it used to go to zero and go quickly up from there as I took off from the gas station. Mine also is around 10% optimistic on gas consumption. I always put in at least 1 gallon more than it says I have used. Someone on this forum said there was no calibration for this. They don't seem to be related, as it was doing this since I got it, and not resetting to 0 started a couple of months later. It could just need a re-flash or something to the computer.

CBOYLE
06-19-13, 11:27 AM
I have had this problem with our new 2012 SRX since I drove it off the lot last June. If someone could supply a TSB number it would be helpful next time I bring it in for service. I had a TSB for the memory seat problem and it made it easier.
Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-19-13, 01:15 PM
I have had this problem with our new 2012 SRX since I drove it off the lot last June. If someone could supply a TSB number it would be helpful next time I bring it in for service. I had a TSB for the memory seat problem and it made it easier.
Thanks

Hello CBOYLE,

If you would like to further discuss your current issues, please private message me. Include your VIN and current mileage and I am happy to research on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

CBOYLE
06-21-13, 09:56 AM
Well I just set up an appointment with my dealer to bring it in on July 1st. (MY Cadillac tech who works on my cars is on vacation next week) He said this is a common problem on a lot of GM vehicles and will most likely just be a computer update. It seems the ONLY problem I have had with this vehicle is computer updates. It would be nice if you could bring it in say once a year and they could do ALL the critical updates at one time. This would save everyone time and money!

If others are having this problem get it back to the dealer while it is still under warranty.
Will advise results

stevec5375
06-21-13, 02:27 PM
Well I just set up an appointment with my dealer to bring it in on July 1st. (MY Cadillac tech who works on my cars is on vacation next week) He said this is a common problem on a lot of GM vehicles and will most likely just be a computer update. It seems the ONLY problem I have had with this vehicle is computer updates. It would be nice if you could bring it in say once a year and they could do ALL the critical updates at one time. This would save everyone time and money!

If others are having this problem get it back to the dealer while it is still under warranty.
Will advise results

Would you please update your profile with the model year and trim level of your SRX?

I agree 100% that when the car is in the shop they should update it with the latest software so you don't hit problems that they already know about and have fixed. Apparently they won't do that and I fail to understand their logic behind this. They really just want to spend the least amount of time on each car as possible when it's warranty work because GM doesn't want to pay for it. Well, in my case, they ARE paying for it because I won't be buying another vehicle from them because of policies like these.

CBOYLE
06-21-13, 04:08 PM
Profile updated with 3 Cadillac's as of now. Each time it goes in the shop for a update of computer software you can figure 1 hour labor and time wasted by the owner. Plus costs of a rental. One shot to do everything...... or it may screw things up that are working correctly? Would be nice if OnStar could do it?
The cars are becoming to high Tech. My 2001 DTS is high tech enough.
As info alldata has not included TSB for our 2012 SRX yet. Awaiting answer from them as to when I can purchase a subscription

CBOYLE
06-22-13, 12:56 PM
AllData has the SRX listed under Cadillac Truck if you want a subscription for TSB's

mm9351
06-22-13, 04:22 PM
My 2011 has been resetiting the fuel economy to 20 mpg since I owned the vehicle as new, and never gave it a second thought. I'm certain that after you drive several miles, it settles down to your average economy based on road conditions and driving habits. No worries.

CBOYLE
06-23-13, 08:59 AM
I will advise once the dealer looks at it. No harm in having it checked under warranty.

CBOYLE
07-02-13, 04:06 PM
Got a call from the Tech who worked on the car this is normal for my 2012 according to the GM tech engineers. This was corrected on the 2013. No way to update the 2012. No harm to check it out

PearlWhiteSTS
07-02-13, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the update. :)

harrynw
07-03-13, 06:21 AM
If this is normal, and can't be fixed, then why have at least two of us seen it work the way it is supposed to? I agree it isn't a big deal, but I KNOW it used to work correctly.

adamjeeps
07-03-13, 06:35 AM
Why does it matter if the average MPG starts at zero or 20 after reset? Mine goes to 20 then immediately starts reporting average MPG as I drive.

Huey Driver
07-03-13, 03:06 PM
AFAIK, my 2012 Lux has never exhibited this behavior. Granted, I've never looked that close. And I usually reset when driving away, so it may just immediately go to the current average. I filled today and didnt watch, but remember seeing about 9.x mpg avg showing as I accelerated away down the street. Quickly climbed up to 21.x within a mile...