: Check engine light on, no codes retrieved

pcf_mark
05-05-13, 08:03 PM
Hopefully someone can help before I take this to the dealer.

2008 SRX, 68k miles, V6

I had the oil change reminders on for a week or so until I go to it. Then I just had the check engine light come on. I changed the oil and resrt the oil life monitor. The CEL was still on. I disconnected the battery and it went away for a few miles but it is now back on. I scanned it with my tool and it has one fault code but when I retrieve them the code is N/A.

Any ideas?

rlh6805
05-06-13, 08:23 AM
What Scan Tool are you using? Some of the cheaper ones will not read all types of codes.

glake89
05-06-13, 09:58 AM
Parts store for free code read.

pcf_mark
05-06-13, 10:40 AM
I am using a $40 range parts store purcahsed tool. I thought it was odd it would detect the code but not provide a number.

orandaberg
05-06-13, 10:59 AM
Do not know what you are using in the USA parts stores, but I have been to some high end garages in Europe and no one can read codes off my SRX, hope the one I bought will read. Should arrive any day

Whiplash_89
05-06-13, 12:05 PM
^Which one did you end up ordering? Review it once you get it.

orandaberg
05-06-13, 12:12 PM
Its on the thread obdII reader from Ebay. I will post on that thread with results

conedoctor
05-06-13, 02:16 PM
Was it almost out of oil when you changed it?

pcf_mark
05-06-13, 02:30 PM
Why? I did not count the quarts as I drain just dumped it into my drain tank.

conedoctor
05-06-13, 02:45 PM
Because some V6's have a bad habit of running out of oil, do you ever check the oil between oil changes, "I should not have to" is not the right answer.

You may have a timing chain issue setting the code.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-13, 07:19 PM
Hopefully someone can help before I take this to the dealer.

2008 SRX, 68k miles, V6

I had the oil change reminders on for a week or so until I go to it. Then I just had the check engine light come on. I changed the oil and resrt the oil life monitor. The CEL was still on. I disconnected the battery and it went away for a few miles but it is now back on. I scanned it with my tool and it has one fault code but when I retrieve them the code is N/A.

Any ideas?

Hello pcf_mark,

After reading this thread I see other community members have offered some good insight on this issue. Are you still thinking about taking your vehicle into the dealership? Please let me know because I would like to stay involved throughout the process and make sure your issue is taken care of. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

pcf_mark
05-07-13, 10:26 PM
Thanks Laura. Fortunately my dealer was successful in diagnosing bad/stretched cam chain. It had nothing to do with me being late in my oil change! I was very pleased because I have only a short time left under my CPO. This is a great example of why the CPO is such a huge value - I did not have to pay for this huge repair. You hope it you never need it but when you do...

My 2012 CTS-V is also CPO as was my 2005 V.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-09-13, 11:56 AM
Thanks Laura. Fortunately my dealer was successful in diagnosing bad/stretched cam chain. It had nothing to do with me being late in my oil change! I was very pleased because I have only a short time left under my CPO. This is a great example of why the CPO is such a huge value - I did not have to pay for this huge repair. You hope it you never need it but when you do...

My 2012 CTS-V is also CPO as was my 2005 V.

Thanks for the update pcf_mark. That is great news hearing your vehicle was still covered under CPO so you did not have to pay for the huge repair. Enjoy driving your Cadillac vehicles!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service