: Service Brake System

Ozlander
05-05-13, 06:13 PM
06 DTS. Service Brake System light comes on every week or two. Resets by cycling the ignition switch.

New pads on the front a month ago, rear have 1/8 inch left.

How do you find the cause?

Superjim
05-05-13, 11:04 PM
The first thing I would do is check the brake fluid level... assuming you have not already did that.

The next thing I would do is... Assuming you have OnStar.... When the light comes on again, push the OnStar button and they can tell you the exact code that is set.

Post the code here and we will try to help.

Ozlander
05-06-13, 12:11 PM
Thanks Jim, I didn't know OnStar could do that. Or I kind of did, but didn't think about using them for that.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-12-13, 04:31 PM
Ozlander,
I checked the 2006 DTS manual and see that SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM will display if your vehicle is low on brake fluid (p.3-84). Have you checked into this possibility already?

Sarah, Cadillac Customer Care

Ozlander
05-14-13, 07:50 PM
Ozlander,
I checked the 2006 DTS manual and see that SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM will display if your vehicle is low on brake fluid (p.3-84). Have you checked into this possibility already?

Sarah, Cadillac Customer Care

The message hasn't returned. The brake fluid level is at the seam which is 3/8" above the 'MIN' mark.

Ozlander

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-13, 08:02 PM
The message hasn't returned. The brake fluid level is at the seam which is 3/8" above the 'MIN' mark.

Ozlander

Hello Ozlander,

Glad to hear of this update and to know that your brake fluid level is full and properly running.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

TK76
10-30-14, 08:21 PM
I suddenly started to get multiple SERVICE CODES (Service Brake System, Service Brake Assist, Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, BRAKE LIGHT etc) and thanks to these forums, I found a half dozen possible answers.

LOW BRAKE FLUID seemed to be the simplest place to start. I found my fluid level low - added fluid to the right level - pumped the brakes hard while sitting in PARK in our driveway with the engine running. I moved the car and sure enough there was brake fluid on the ground where one of the wheels had been. Slowly and carefully, I drove the car to my trusted local mechanic - told him which wheel to check. That was the source of the problem. My mechanic fixed the leak - bled and refilled the system. All SERVICE CODES are now gone and brakes seem back to normal. TOTAL COST $53.