: Brake Fluid Type??

Cadispeedster
05-05-13, 05:12 PM
Got some fancy Goodridge steel braided brake lines. Looking forward to the install... but...

What type brake fluid to use???

from owners manual: page 6-13
Hydraulic Brake System
DelcoŽ Supreme 11 Brake Fluid or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid.

So it says to use a dot-3 fluid, but in the auto part store the only thing that comes up in the system is a dot-3&4 brake fluid which is a synthetic Valvoline brand...???

Help? Don't want any brake issues...

And will this mean I'll need to drain the whole system to replace the old fluid if this stuff is okay to put in?

Thanks!

darkman
05-05-13, 06:21 PM
GM changed to DOT 4 with either the 2006 or 2007 model year. In any event DOT 4 is completely compatible with DOT 3 and is better. Most auto parts stores will have a good high temperature DOT 4. Valvoline brake fluids have a good reputation.

Cadispeedster
05-05-13, 09:38 PM
It's a dot-3&4 synthetic... So I guess I'll have to bleed all fluid out and replace it... slowly to not get a bubble in the ABS

AAIIIC
05-05-13, 09:48 PM
:confused: There's absolutely no need to "bleed all fluid out and replace it." The Valvoline fluid is, as its name clearly states, compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4, thus it is compatible with what is already in your car.

darkman
05-05-13, 09:49 PM
It's a dot-3&4 synthetic... So I guess I'll have to bleed all fluid out and replace it... slowly to not get a bubble in the ABS

Not necessarily - DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT3 &4 are completely compatible, so having residue from your pre-existing fluid will create no problems.

(DOT 5 is silicone based and does require the complete removal of previously used non-silicone fluids.)

odla
05-05-13, 10:52 PM
Upgraded lines i would do motul rbf600 or 660. Not that bad of a price for the much better performance. Overkill? Maybe for some but it doesn't break the bank.

Naf
05-06-13, 02:21 AM
I will be using race brake fluid from Castrol SRF, its the same price as Dot 5.1 but higher temp tolerances

thebigjimsho
05-06-13, 07:16 AM
Nevermind. Mind borked.

DrSpeed
05-06-13, 12:53 PM
I cycle between Super ATE Blue and RBF 600. Performance is comparable for track days. Nice part is when you're flushing the system, you can tell when all the old stuff is out with the color change from blue to clear and vice versa.

trukk
05-06-13, 12:57 PM
I cycle between Super ATE Blue and RBF 600. Performance is comparable for track days. Nice part is when you're flushing the system, you can tell when all the old stuff is out with the color change from blue to clear and vice versa.

Same here. Makes it easy to do a full flush. Also the ATE has really good *WET* performance. In a nutshell unless you are swapping your fluid often, it will get water into it, which degrades the performance (lowers the boiling point). Also the ATE is not very expensive. I couldn't see using Motul on a street car.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
05-06-13, 02:03 PM
Same here. Makes it easy to do a full flush. Also the ATE has really good *WET* performance. In a nutshell unless you are swapping your fluid often, it will get water into it, which degrades the performance (lowers the boiling point). Also the ATE is not very expensive. I couldn't see using Motul on a street car.

-ChrisI could. Once a year, it's not that expensive.

JazMiller
05-07-13, 11:24 PM
I've only done 2 of the lines on my V, the rear passenger side that has the brake line and the return line to the driver's side. I would rather pull the axles again, twice, than work on the damn brake lines. Not sure that I'm going to finish it, might even take it in to a shop to have them finish the remaining 3 corners upgrade to stainless lines. I cursed a lot at those lock washers holding the lines to the frame....

Use flare nut wrenches for those brake line nuts.

Don't let me poo poo on the fun ahead, ... Good luck with your install! :-)

Cadispeedster
05-07-13, 11:45 PM
I've only done 2 of the lines on my V, the rear passenger side that has the brake line and the return line to the driver's side. I would rather pull the axles again, twice, than work on the damn brake lines. Not sure that I'm going to finish it, might even take it in to a shop to have them finish the remaining 3 corners upgrade to stainless lines. I cursed a lot at those lock washers holding the lines to the frame....

Use flare nut wrenches for those brake line nuts.

Don't let me poo poo on the fun ahead, ... Good luck with your install! :-)
I did the rears first... Came off no issue. Too bad ya live in canada, I'd say bring the car on over...

Used this technique (and yes, with flare nuts of course):

How to:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1446040-goodridge-stainless-steel-brake-line-installation.html
Easy peasy!

And don't forget...

Proper Bleeding Order:

1. Passenger Rear – INNER * Inner first due to the caliper inlet being on the outside

2. Passenger Rear - OUTER

3. Driver Rear - INNER

4. Driver Rear - OUTER

5. Passenger Front - INNER

6. Passenger Front - OUTER

7. Driver Front - INNER

8. Driver Front - OUTER

DrSpeed
05-08-13, 03:52 PM
Hey, I recognize that post.

I cheated, and couldn't find my flare wrenches. Didn't strip anything. Car still stops on a dime.

Checked a week later - no drips.

JDB
05-08-13, 10:15 PM
To the OP, you'll be fine using the Valvoline 3/4. And, no need to flush the old completely. It's compatible.

I use ATE Type 200 in my V since I track my cars. I've used Motul RBF600 as well in other cars, but it doesn't seem to last as in duration.

I also use GM Brake and Clutch fluid in my clutch. It's "Super DOT4". PN is 88958860. 250 ml bottles at about $5 and works great for frequent flushes and keeping to using fresher new bottles. My research finds that it's rebottled Pentosin race fluid. I'm wondering if it truly is and then would therefore be suitable for brake fluid for the track.

Cadispeedster
05-12-13, 02:57 PM
Thanks all... I'm glad I did this. The first few bleeds I did, the fluid was HELLA dirty... Now it's nice and clean and with the new braided brake lines, great stopping power.

DrSpeed
05-14-13, 06:23 PM
"HELLA"?

You from the Bay ARea?

thebigjimsho
05-14-13, 11:53 PM
wut.