: Help De Chroming the 77 CDV, Getting ready for paint

lacville78
05-05-13, 06:19 AM
I'll get some pics of the progress up soon. I got about 90% of the trim off, but need some info for a couple of pieces.
How do I get the part of the grill off in the front that says Cadillac, or do I need to the whole upper grill out either way I'd appreciate some tips on how to get it off.
Also I took a look behind the trunk lid to get the Cadillac symbol off and noticed some rubber nut type deals, how do I deal with those to get it off?
Also I haven't messed with the antenna yet, I'd like some tips there too.

It looks like I need to order a special tool for the windshield trim, although the Fisher body manual says to use a putty blade. What would y'all suggest?

Much appreciated,
Tom.

cadillac kevin
05-05-13, 08:32 AM
For the upper grille, remove the plastic piece that sits between the radiator support and front clip (if applicable). There may be some nuts on some threads coming off the grille top through the front clip (like on the grille surrounds on the 80-92). Either that, or you remove the grille and there are some screws that go up into the header like on the chrome trim above the headlights/cornering lights on the 77-79.

deVille33
05-05-13, 09:02 AM
The power antenna comes out via the wheel well and the fender. Remove the fasteners around the wheel opening and at the body all the way around. The chrome piece at the top of the fender is removed from under the fender. Once you open the wheel well and pull it down your connections and mast fasteners become apparent. It helps if you remove the wheel and put the car on a jack stand. Take your time and don't just try to yank it out of there. The header panel is held in place with 5 stamped fasteners. They are difficult to reach, but it can be done. You will need a deep well socket to reach the fastener past the stud pin. You need a deep well socket for the Cadillac scroll work on the trunk also. :yup:

lacville78
05-05-13, 04:30 PM
Awesome, I appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Tom.

brougham
05-06-13, 08:44 PM
The windshield trim remover tool is common. Any decent parts store should have it. You can get away using something home made but the actual tool is cheap and works better.