: ATS Paint Job

Major7
05-04-13, 10:10 PM
I have a black raven ATS. My prior car was a black Merc C300 (09). This mini-review comes from someone who lives in a cold state (MI) and takes extremely good care of their car.

I have hand washed most of my cars, with few exceptions. My '09 Merc C300 saw only two machine washes, and then only three years of ownership. My ATS will never see a machine wash.

Within weeks of owning my Mercedes, I could see significant swirl marks. Not so with my ATS. After a harsh winter (I picked up my ATS in early January) I made a thorough spring washing and polishing to survey the damage. GM >> Mercedes in the paint department! I am absolutely astonished how a car could go through a cold winter with so many washings and come out with virtually no swirl marks. There are some micro-scratches, but a round of meguiars machine glaze applied by hand gave me what is for all intents and purposes a factory paint job. The exterior paint engineers at GM are doing a hell of a job.

Well done, GM.

Fraggy
05-04-13, 11:20 PM
I have to agree, I'm at 4000 miles now and the paint looks almost as perfect as it did when I bought it, and I have been to carwashes unfortunately :-(

investor74
05-04-13, 11:32 PM
I've always been impressed by Cadillac paint. Take away 16 years of door dings and my 1997 Catera still looks showroom new. No rock chips on the hood like newer cars that I own. The car has a bad rep from a reliability standpoint, but nobody has ever complained about the paint job.

pissedoffwookiee
05-05-13, 12:40 AM
I'm still waiting to be impressed, my dealer had to trade for my car and its unbelievable how badly the previous dealer beat on the paint. my dealer has had two of their detail departments (they have multiple dealerships) work on it and it still looks terrible. first detailer said paint was in bad shape second detailer said car needs to be wet sanded. good news is lot attendant noted the bad paint when picking up the car and that dealer acknowledged the flaws and would pay for fix if detailers can't buff out. for a month old car it looks awful so bad I'm worried about turning it in at end of lease.

M5eater
05-05-13, 12:44 PM
Cadillac uses the same ceramic based clear as GM does on corvettes. I've found that it holds-up fairly well to swirling, but it will still fall victim to rock chips.

Fraggy
05-06-13, 11:09 AM
Cadillac uses the same ceramic based clear as GM does on corvettes. I've found that it holds-up fairly well to swirling, but it will still fall victim to rock chips.

Is that why when I tap on my cars body panels they sound like plastic instead of metal?

M5eater
05-06-13, 11:40 AM
Is that why when I tap on my cars body panels they sound like plastic instead of metal?
No, They sound like plastic because they *are* plastic.

The only steel body panels on the ATS are the rear 1/4, truck and roof. The rest are aluminum(doors, hood and fenders) or plastic (front & rear fascias).

Although the steel portions are very thin metal, which can still lead it twoard sounding tinny or hollow, which might make it sound artificial.

Major7
05-06-13, 07:28 PM
Interesting note on the roof. It oilcans significantly when you hand wax it, and I've even heard is oilcan in a touch-less car wash with the water pressure. I thought it was going to dent when I was waxing it, but it came back to the original position.

Rozay619
05-08-13, 06:08 PM
Those of you with good looking paint are lucky!! Being from California i'm fortunate not having to deal with the shitty weather like MI... But as for my Black Raven ATS, the paint looks like SHIT!!! Been to the dealer 7 times to get it corrected and now they wont even let me make an appt. for the paint. Cadillac Customer Service is no more help either!! The people i have dealt with took days to return calls and i'm fed up with their lack of Customer Service... Guess my luck has run out with this car. Should have never let my wife pick black... SMH :-(

Bertha D Blues
05-08-13, 10:12 PM

The only steel body panels on the ATS are the rear 1/4, truck and roof. The rest are aluminum(doors, hood and fenders) or plastic (front & rear fascias).

Although the steel portions are very thin metal, which can still lead it twoard sounding tinny or hollow, which might make it sound artificial. My hood is aluminum but the doors, fenders, roof and quarters are steel. I must have gotten short-changed on my car. Bert

73JPS
05-08-13, 10:33 PM

Although the steel portions are very thin metal, which can still lead it twoard sounding tinny or hollow, which might make it sound artificial.

From the reading I have done, the only major body panel which is aluminum is the hood.

Edit: Sorry Bert, I was researching this further when you must have posted.

M5eater
05-09-13, 07:47 AM
You're right.

The new cts uses the aluminum doors, not the ats

mackey
05-09-13, 11:16 AM
Those of you with good looking paint are lucky!! Being from California i'm fortunate not having to deal with the shitty weather like MI... But as for my Black Raven ATS, the paint looks like SHIT!!! Been to the dealer 7 times to get it corrected and now they wont even let me make an appt. for the paint. Cadillac Customer Service is no more help either!! The people i have dealt with took days to return calls and i'm fed up with their lack of Customer Service... Guess my luck has run out with this car. Should have never let my wife pick black... SMH :-(black shows even the most minute imperfections in the paint. the same amount of scratches in a silver car would be imperceptible.

id take it to a professional detailer to have the paint corrected. most dealership "detailers" do not know what theyre doing and end up doing more damage to the car than correcting. there was someone on this board who has a CTS-V2 brand new and the dealership somehow screwed up the paint and only made it worse trying to fix it.

or if youre willing to, you can correct it yourself but it will take a bit if time, depending on your attention to detail and willingness (or lack of) to let some scratches go and not try to fix them.

search for junkman (hes on this forum and many others) on how to wash and correct your paint as a good starting point.

Hoosier Daddy
05-09-13, 11:42 AM
Should have never let my wife pick black.
Yes, we totally believe you had a choice. ;)

Rozay619
05-09-13, 12:16 PM
Yes, we totally believe you had a choice. ;)

LMAO... Do we ever?!?!? :-P

donavo
05-12-13, 07:46 PM
i got a raven black ats and it only took them one wash to put in the maximum number of swirl marks possible. the hood looks like spotting machined finish. like this
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUkvflat-ljel2VfWM7Xl8MDQbaq1lGEENcCvOZA_iqjAWox3L

CZ4
06-11-13, 07:35 PM
just noticed scratches on my month old ATS with black raven ext. on the trunk of all places

No clue these scratches showed up on my trunk lid.

besides day to day driving, I've taken it to a touchless carwash once. Starting to think the dealer did a crappy job 'prepping' the car

Rifle and rucksack
06-11-13, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I have the same issues with the hood and trunk lid. I usually just apply a black polish after most washes. They are hard to see when the car is cleaned unless you get close and look for any imperfections.

b4z
06-12-13, 10:18 PM
I read somewhere around 2003 that Cadillacs get 1 extra coat of clear compared to other GM vehicles. Don't know if that is true still.
If you have swirls have a good detailer polish, glaze and wax it by machine. You will never get swirls out by hand.
I don't think a dealership "detail" shop is going to be able to make most of us satisied.

CZ4
06-13-13, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I have the same issues with the hood and trunk lid. .

How does the trunk lid of a new car end up with scratches??

bluecrayon
06-13-13, 09:31 PM
When I test drove my car for a day, I pointed out before I got it that it had scratches all over the hood and trunk, I was told it was a "lot" car and not yet prepped for delivery. I was assured it would be wet sanded before I got it, which it was. No complaints when I got it.

Rifle and rucksack
06-14-13, 05:44 AM
How does the trunk lid of a new car end up with scratches??

You got me! I asked the same question with more filler words to myself. I have a 2011 genesis with a tri -coat paint and it has little to no scratches except were some wood trim fell on the hood. One noticeable scratch.

ATS
06-17-13, 11:59 AM
1 Month old car here With Black Raven

cleaned it twice myself, was good,

cleaned it at the corner's hand carwash and saw some crazy swirls on the trunk ! , not sure if im impressed with this paint

My Acura Paint seemed less fragile i went numerous times to this carwash . All i know is that in Canada for the Black diamond paint on a 2.0T AWD it is a 1400+ $ option, i opted for the performance package for 1450$ instead...

Rifle and rucksack
06-17-13, 10:14 PM
So I am not the only one to notice that this paint is a little Prone to scratches. The paint on my genesis seems hard compared to the caddy paint... If that makes any sense.