: rochester quadrajet to edelbrok 1406 carb replacement for 1989 Cadillac Brougham

smacktime
05-04-13, 06:17 PM
I just got a Edelbrok 1406 Carb for my 1989 Cadillac Brougham. My stock carb isn't running and for the time being I have a 1406 Edelbrok laying around I want to install until I have enough money to get the original carb redone. Have anyone done this install? Is it direct bolt on and how much adjustments do i have to make. Any accessories I need to have and does it make a difference if the TPS is installed. I heard if the quadrajet is removed I might as well remove and replace the stock dizzy also since the stock carb and dizzy are the only computer controlled components for the engine. Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

cadillac_al
05-05-13, 08:04 AM
I never know which ones have 307's or 305's but Edelbrock carbs do interfere with the Olds EGR valve. I adjusted mine with a hammer but if you want the EGR you may need a carb spacer and hope you have hood clearance. The 1406 is the fuel mileage leaned out carb that gives Edelbrock carbs a bad rap. If you have it you might as well use it. Good luck. If yours is a 305 it will be no problem.

jayoldschool
05-05-13, 11:47 AM
He has a 307 Olds. It's not a bolt on (and wouldn't be on a Chev 305, either). The 1406 is a square bore carb, the Quadrajet is spread bore with small primaries and huge secondaries. The 1406 is just a 1405 with electric choke added. I have a 1405 on my 71 Pontiac which runs a 350 Chevy. The 1406 will not bolt on your intake without a restrictive adapter.

Three options:
- use the adapter
- change the intake
- get a Quadrajet

cadillac_al
05-05-13, 06:55 PM
Well Shizayem, my brain wasn't firing on all 8 this morning. You can't forget the restrictive looking adapter. The Edelbrock carb has a dual bolt pattern but the butterflies don't fit in the stock intake holes. I always said those adapters looked pretty restrictive but after using them, they didn't seem to be holding anything back. It still wouldn't clear a 350 Olds EGR valve with the adapter.

I posted last year that the Edelbrock carb I put on my Seville made that car more powerful than it has ever been in the last 10 years at least. The same E carb on a 69 GTO seemed to be more powerful than the stock Q jet, although they were both almost perfect. The stock GTO Qjet worked about the same as the E carb on my Seville; much more power than the last carb, and I thought that one was perfect. I am now on a mission to rebuild a Q-jet that can equal my E carb.

At least Jay straightened us out before you had a chance to take your car apart. Peace.

cadillac kevin
05-05-13, 07:15 PM
Well Shizayem, my brain wasn't firing on all 8 this morning. You can't forget the restrictive looking adapter. The Edelbrock carb has a dual bolt pattern but the butterflies don't fit in the stock intake holes. I always said those adapters looked pretty restrictive but after using them, they didn't seem to be holding anything back. It still wouldn't clear a 350 Olds EGR valve with the adapter.

I posted last year that the Edelbrock carb I put on my Seville made that car more powerful than it has ever been in the last 10 years at least. The same E carb on a 69 GTO seemed to be more powerful than the stock Q jet, although they were both almost perfect. The stock GTO Qjet worked about the same as the E carb on my Seville; much more power than the last carb, and I thought that one was perfect. I am now on a mission to rebuild a Q-jet that can equal my E carb.

At least Jay straightened us out before you had a chance to take your car apart. Peace.

I'm confused....you said it works better than the stock Qjet, but its also the carb that gave edelbrock a bad rap because it was too lean. Did you make it run richer, or did it work ok in stock form?

smacktime
05-06-13, 11:39 AM
Thanks... So I have the carb bolted on, and the car runs. What else do I need to attach the cruise control and transmission cable linkage to the carb?

jayoldschool
05-06-13, 12:57 PM
Edelbrock has the linkage adapters. Just check on Summit/Jegs/Edlebrock/whatever.

cadillac_al
05-07-13, 07:13 AM
I'm confused....you said it works better than the stock Qjet, but its also the carb that gave edelbrock a bad rap because it was too lean. Did you make it run richer, or did it work ok in stock form?

Yeah, mine isn't a 1406, it's the marine carb 1409 or 1411? It's jetted richer than the 1406. I have a couple 1406's on the shelf because they were dogs. I just need to spend some time with those and richen them up I guess. I think they were meant for 305's and fuel economy.

smacktime
05-07-13, 08:38 AM
Theres more than one bracket to choose from. I called Edelbrock and the technician said to use p/n# 1484 which is the cruise control kit.

The box it came in said to use 8030 or 8031. I looked up both parts and 8031 is actually made for GM vehicles. The part description says: This bracket was designed to fit Chevy small-block applications that use square-peg throttle/kick-down/cruise-control cable assemblies.

I am not really sure which bracket to get.