: having trouble bleeding rear brakes. 1990 fleetwood

krazyteggy
05-04-13, 02:17 PM
I have just replaced everything brake wise on my caddy, and for some reason i cant seem to get fluid to my rear cylinders......i am doing a manual bleed......is there something i am missing? Could my proportional valve be stopping me from doing so?

csbuckn
05-04-13, 03:27 PM
I dealt with this problem for months before I took it to a shop, one of my flares was leaking and I was unable to pull fluid to the back.

cadillac_al
05-05-13, 09:25 AM
I always suspect the prop valve when I have bleeding problems. It probably depends on how far you drove it with the blown line. I usually end up starting the car to get fluid pumping for bleeding. I don't know why but sometimes I can't get anything to pump when the car is off. There are a few tricks that sometimes work on these things. Sometimes tapping it with a hammer, driving the car and stomping on the brakes repeatedly, and I have heard bleeding the front brakes may release the prop valve. I plan to try that last one in the next month or so.

Then again the ABS throws a monkey wrench into the plan. The fsm says you need a tech2 to cycle the ABS for bleeding but I haven't had to resort to that yet.

csbuckn
05-05-13, 09:49 AM
When I was dealing with my rear brake issue, I took the prop valve apart and moved it manually. I also unscrewed the front access pieces and used compressed air and was able to see the rod inside the prop valve move while installed so I knew it wasnt stuck. Still unable to find the issue, I bought an aftermarket wilwood(?) prop valve and still couldnt get anything. Took it to the shop after that where they found the leak.