: Black Raven: You Dirty Dirty Bird!

Kuya
05-04-13, 12:01 PM
So, as I expected . . my new Black Raven is so hard to keep clean, compared to the Plat Ice I traded in. Literally, rain would wash the Plat Ice pretty clean! Now, rain leaves nasty spots that piss me off. The pollen in my area is awful . . . every morning I wake up to a green car.

Anything I can do? Will waxing it help?

Marc NY
05-04-13, 12:27 PM
Waxing will help some... now if you SRX is clean and you only have pollen or dust on her I would highly recommend getting yourself a "California Duster" and wipe her down before you drive the SRX. I use it on my SSR each and every time when I take her out ... I do know that if I need to, I will use it on my SRX too.

http://www.autogeek.net/calcardus.html?gclid=CKL7qbDh_LYCFcuj4AodpkkAFA

Kuya
05-04-13, 12:34 PM
Thanks Marc NY! I am off to the car wash to get her washed up. They have a sale on their hand wax for $29.00 so I will invest in that and see how that works.

I will look into the duster too . . . but for now, I am hoping that pollen season will soon be out.

GMJim
05-05-13, 10:04 AM
White is a dream, black is a nightmare. But both are beautiful clean, and glistening.

ladypro
05-05-13, 11:42 AM
nothing looks better than a clean polished black car

Kuya
05-05-13, 10:47 PM
I went out and had it waxed (see photos below).

She got a lot of attention at the Car Wash while getting hand waxed. Ladypro is right . . nothing looks better than a clean polished black car. It literally OWNED the road for the last 2 days. It even (almost) started a fight haha . . long long story.

Bellow Photos:

1. My new baby getting her wax job

2. Some weirdo at the car wash with his belly hanging out (Was gonna mask his face but then I realized he obviously won't care if I post that . . come on . . he knows his belly is hanging out!!!)

3. After her day at the SPA

Marc NY
05-06-13, 08:20 AM
I went out and had it waxed (see photos below).

She got a lot of attention at the Car Wash while getting hand waxed. Ladypro is right . . nothing looks better than a clean polished black car. It literally OWNED the road for the last 2 days. It even (almost) started a fight haha . . long long story.

2. Some weirdo at the car wash with his belly hanging out (Was gonna mask his face but then I realized he obviously won't care if I post that . . come on . . he knows his belly is hanging out!!!)

She looks pretty!!! Hey, you have to finish your story. :)

BTW: The guy looks like he belongs in one of those wild Wall-Mart emails I get from time to time. LOL

Likely
05-06-13, 11:15 AM
No wax job for me at the car wash!!!!!

22velocity
05-06-13, 09:34 PM
For 55 years I have polished and now sealed a lot of cars and boats, I can tell you this . Don't ever use a California duster particularly on a dark colored car that has pollen or dirt on it. Pollen is very abrasive and will scratch a finish. The only time I saw a duster work ok was when I worked the auto shows for GM, prior to the show the so called detailers would knock the dust off the display cars with the duster. The dust was not abrasive. The best way is to use a good sealant on your car and wash the pollen off. Follow up with a good detail spray to keep the finish slippery. Frank

beachcad
05-07-13, 10:32 AM
For 55 years I have polished and now sealed a lot of cars and boats, I can tell you this . Don't ever use a California duster particularly on a dark colored car that has pollen or dirt on it. Pollen is very abrasive and will scratch a finish. The only time I saw a duster work ok was when I worked the auto shows for GM, prior to the show the so called detailers would knock the dust off the display cars with the duster. The dust was not abrasive. The best way is to use a good sealant on your car and wash the pollen off. Follow up with a good detail spray to keep the finish slippery. Frank

Frank,
I would be curious to know what you consider to be a good sealant. Have you ever heard of opti-coat?

Likely
05-07-13, 10:54 AM
OH!!!! BLACK, BLACK, BLACK.......FULL TIME JOB FORSURE.......I had a black car once, never again, never ending job.....

22velocity
05-07-13, 11:03 AM
Beachcad, I have been using Zaino products for about the past ten years. My customers like the look it gives their cars and boats and it lasts a minimum of six months. I have a 2011 luxury model in silver and it looks real good on light metallic colors. I also have a 1990 black buick reatta convertible that I basically take to car shows that has several coats of Zaino z2 sealant. At shows I am tempted to wipe off the car by mid afternoon but knowing how much work with the orbital buffer to get rid of the swirls,I wait till I get home and then wash it. I have heard of Opti-Coat and have heard good reports on this product. From everything I have read on the application process, unless the person has experience doing high end detailing work, I don,t think this work is for the average person. If your living in Florida, I would contact someone like Autogeek over in Stuart. I know they sell the product. Frank

beachcad
05-07-13, 12:29 PM
Beachcad, I have been using Zaino products for about the past ten years. My customers like the look it gives their cars and boats and it lasts a minimum of six months. I have a 2011 luxury model in silver and it looks real good on light metallic colors. I also have a 1990 black buick reatta convertible that I basically take to car shows that has several coats of Zaino z2 sealant. At shows I am tempted to wipe off the car by mid afternoon but knowing how much work with the orbital buffer to get rid of the swirls,I wait till I get home and then wash it. I have heard of Opti-Coat and have heard good reports on this product. From everything I have read on the application process, unless the person has experience doing high end detailing work, I don,t think this work is for the average person. If your living in Florida, I would contact someone like Autogeek over in Stuart. I know they sell the product. Frank

Thank you Frank. I have always been skeptical of sealant and coating claims, it's just one of those product categories that is overrun with scams and snake oil salesmen, and the average person has a difficult time picking the truth from the bull. I did have a detail guy here in Florida install the Opti-coat on my wife's SRX soon after it was purchased (about 9 months ago). So far it has been great, but I was still apprehensive whether I had made a wise decision. I have heard of Zaino products for years and knew they were highly regarded. Again, it's really great to hear from someone like you, who has the experience and knowledge and isn't trying to sell something!

NotMine
05-07-13, 08:00 PM
22velocity said it all when he mentioned Zaino. I know a guy who has a black Vette, lives on the east coast and his vehicles are subjected to the pollen issue. He uses a California Duster almost daily and has NO PROBLEMS with scratches. He is known on the Corvette Forum as the "guy to go to" when any questions arise about polishes and the like. If I can locate a picture of his car, I'll post it. It is truly an unbelievable shine with Zaino (especially with the orange peel that GM has on these cars...he has none).

See if this works....

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/GoodStogie/wolfdogs.jpg (http://s199.photobucket.com/user/GoodStogie/media/wolfdogs.jpg.html)

themacguy
05-07-13, 08:41 PM
Me when I had my black Cobalt SS/TC: Wash, wash. Polish, polish. Wax, wax. Sweat, sweat.

Then it rains.

Wife: Let's go to Ikea.

Me: Ugh...

beachcad
05-08-13, 10:00 AM
22velocity said it all when he mentioned Zaino. I know a guy who has a black Vette, lives on the east coast and his vehicles are subjected to the pollen issue. He uses a California Duster almost daily and has NO PROBLEMS with scratches. He is known on the Corvette Forum as the "guy to go to" when any questions arise about polishes and the like. If I can locate a picture of his car, I'll post it. It is truly an unbelievable shine with Zaino (especially with the orange peel that GM has on these cars...he has none).

See if this works....

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/GoodStogie/wolfdogs.jpg (http://s199.photobucket.com/user/GoodStogie/media/wolfdogs.jpg.html)

It's like a mirror was poured over the car! Is it me, or does the passenger side headlight look like it was pasted in?

Marc NY
05-08-13, 02:02 PM
... I know a guy who has a black Vette, lives on the east coast and his vehicles are subjected to the pollen issue. He uses a California Duster almost daily and has NO PROBLEMS with scratches. He is known on the Corvette Forum as the "guy to go to" when any questions arise about polishes and the like. I know of many car enthusiasts that use the Duster too and have no complaints about scratching their paint. I use it all the time on my SSR (background) and it works great on my SRX as well. :D

BTW: The duster is a huge time saver... my SRX and SSR were both clean and in less than 2 hours time the pollen and dust had hit my vheicles.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/Dustcopy.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/MarcNY/media/Dustcopy.jpg.html)

Likely
05-09-13, 12:23 AM
Use California duster daily, no problems here. Wouldn't be without one. I have one for each vehicle, also have one for the engine bay.

Kuya
05-09-13, 08:51 AM
Soooo . . now that I will be waxing my car at home (much cheaper, and I actually enjoy it). Does everyone agree that Zaino is a good wax? Any others?

Cadzilla8
05-09-13, 09:17 AM
It's like a mirror was poured over the car! Is it me, or does the passenger side headlight look like it was pasted in?

The hood is open look along the bottom line of it

beachcad
05-09-13, 10:00 AM
The hood is open look along the bottom line of it

Thanks a bunch for the corrected vision!

Likely
05-09-13, 11:15 AM
I use C-Magic Polish & Detailer. Good luck so far, been using it for several years. I order it from the Corvette Store in Bowling Green, KY.
Very easy to work with. So many good polishes and waxes out their. To each his own!!!!

shoeman
05-09-13, 11:24 AM
Mothers quick wax and detailer for me.

22velocity
05-09-13, 12:39 PM
Kuya, Zaino is a very good product and it has excellent durability. It actually is a sealant not a wax. The key is to follow the steps that Sal Zaino outlines. When you use the Z2 sealant you only need drops of it. Frank