: Hands Free Audio

PC12
05-04-13, 10:30 AM
When I am driving my '13 XTS and making a call, the people on the line sound great but all say I sound like my window is down and they can't here me unless I am stopped, lots of wind noise type complaint. Any one else having this issue?
Also the fan blower speed does not lower like it did in the prior Avalanche that I owned when the phone was answered real pain?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-05-13, 01:50 PM
When I am driving my '13 XTS and making a call, the people on the line sound great but all say I sound like my window is down and they can't here me unless I am stopped, lots of wind noise type complaint. Any one else having this issue?
Also the fan blower speed does not lower like it did in the prior Avalanche that I owned when the phone was answered real pain?

Hello PC12,

I understand you are looking for the communities help and input on this issue, but have you thought about taking it into the dealership? I can assist you throughout this process in taking it to a certified technician at the dealership if you would like. If you private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage I would love to provide further assistance for you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

10mikeymike
05-06-13, 08:30 AM

Yes, I get the same complaints from people I'm speaking to when using the hands free feature in my XTS. I've also noticed that the fan speed isn't lowered when making on a call as well.

pkadanec
05-13-13, 09:52 AM
This seems to be a common issue, I too have this complaint from callers.

dhemrick
05-15-13, 02:32 PM

I wonder if the software update to CUE would fix this? We just purchased our '13 XTS on 4/30 and from what I can tell, it was updated prior to purchase with the latest software revision. The fan speed drops as expected and when I am talking to my spouse when he is driving the car, he sounds very clear.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-16-13, 04:11 PM
I wonder if the software update to CUE would fix this? We just purchased our '13 XTS on 4/30 and from what I can tell, it was updated prior to purchase with the latest software revision. The fan speed drops as expected and when I am talking to my spouse when he is driving the car, he sounds very clear.

Thank you for sharing this advice dhemrick. I am glad to hear your XTS software system is functioning correctly for you and the sound is very clear when you are on the phone.

Regards,

Laura M.

dtcoon
05-17-13, 12:05 PM
So I should expect my blower speed to reduce when I push the hands free button or receive a call? My 2010 cts did this. My 13 xts does not.

Cadjiek
05-17-13, 02:54 PM
My blower speed doesn't slow down either and I have had the CUE update too.

----------

I just re-checked something. The fan slows down on an OnStar phone call but not on Bluetooth.

cadillacricket
05-17-13, 04:55 PM
Sub'ed for more info..

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-17-13, 07:01 PM
My blower speed doesn't slow down either and I have had the CUE update too.

----------

I just re-checked something. The fan slows down on an OnStar phone call but not on Bluetooth.

Hello Cadjiek,

That is something interesting to come across. If you would like to discuss this concern further please private message me.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

dtcoon
05-31-13, 12:10 PM
But is the fan speed supposed to slow on a Bluetooth call or not?

PC12
06-04-13, 09:44 PM
I had a new mike installed and it is better, the blow still does not go down. It is not as clear as other GM cars and truck that I have owned in the past. The mike apparently had a new part number.

dtcoon
06-21-13, 08:15 PM
It's crazy how much this drives me nuts. I guess if my '10 CTS had not done this perfectly, I wouldn't know the difference. I certainly hope an update of some type will lower the ac blower speed automatically whenever hands free is used. Or even better, an option to customize the speed.

gohawks63
06-21-13, 08:29 PM
But is the fan speed supposed to slow on a Bluetooth call or not?

It does on my '12 CTS, I would imagine that it would be the same with the XTS.

dtcoon
06-25-13, 10:08 PM
It does on my '12 CTS, I would imagine that it would be the same with the XTS.

Yes, you would think. Initiating OnStar will lower the AC fan, but neither pushing the hands free button on the wheel nor accepting a Bluetooth call will change the fan speed (noise). I find myself hollering a bit to give commands or fiddling with the center sack to lower and raise the fan. I keep waiting for someone to tell me I'm missing something.

cadillacricket
06-28-13, 10:07 AM
Yes, you would think. Initiating OnStar will lower the AC fan, but neither pushing the hands free button on the wheel nor accepting a Bluetooth call will change the fan speed (noise). I find myself hollering a bit to give commands or fiddling with the center sack to lower and raise the fan. I keep waiting for someone to tell me I'm missing something.

Did you message customer service, as suggested above? I'm interested to hear what they come up with.. Or maybe call the CUE service center from the car?

PC12
07-05-13, 12:35 AM
After a couple weeks w/ the new mike, I am sad to report that the repair did not work, people think I am flying and the only real use of the hands free according to the people on the other end of the call is when I stop at a light. All are reporting heavy wind noise, very hard to hear. I turn the fan down and the windows are up. The call sounds very good on my end and its only when the person I am talking to asks what the heck am I up too w/ all the noise. This is a tough one.

Phil E.
09-26-13, 05:12 PM
The hands free bluetooth and onstar performance on the XTS is a joke. My dad is ready to get rid of this thing and go back to a Buick Lacrosse. It has been in for service at the Cadillac dealer several times for this. They have blamed this on the Iphone and its settings. The tech hooked his Samsung up and it sounded exactly the same. Onstar has told my dad several times that they could not understand him and to call back. He actually called onstar service from his home phone and the guy listened to his Onstar calls - apparently they are digitally stored and he could not believe how bad the audio was. Just like you described - I think it is like the windows are down and you have your head and phone both out in the wind at highway speeds. Cadillac says that it works as it should so my friend at the Chevy dealer had a new microphone installed. Still bad. When the call is initially made or received the noise is so bad you can't hear anything but the "wind noise" but it gets better after a short time but still you can not carry on a conversation because the audio is so bad. When you stop the car you can. While talking to the cadillac tech when he was driving around I knew he was in traffic because when he stopped I could hear him clearly. There is an electrical problem that is causing this and I think that Cadillac does not want to admit this because the fix may be expensive. Dealerships are not to tell customers there is a problem unless there is a known fix for it. There must be some cars out there that do not have this problem or everyone would be complaining. It is not the phone because it does the same thing with Onstar. Before you buy a new or used Cadillac be sure to pair your phone and make a few calls and make sure you get a good one. I have never heard a blue tooth as bad as the one in my dad's XTS.

pkadanec
09-30-13, 10:19 AM
I have the identical vehicle as my sister does my voice quality is not great, however it is not nearly as bad as my sister's vehicles performance. It is as you have described. Same response, dealer service says it is working as designed.

Phil E.
10-16-13, 09:33 AM
I don't know if Cadillac will figure out or fix this problem but at least they are working on it. Dad was very persistent in his complaining and kept calling the dealer and Onstar. Onstar is really the ones that got the ball rolling from the complaints. They could not carry on a conversation with my dad through the regular onstar system since it uses the same microphone as the bluetooth. He has been in a demo XTS for over a week. It also has the same problem. The dealer said that there are factory guys involved now and they checked new cars on the lot and a lot of these have the same issue. Strange that Cadillac is the GM flagship loaded with all the fancy electronics and this system is so poor. I will update if this is ever fixed.

Phil E.
10-24-13, 10:45 AM
After nearly 3 weeks driving a demo with a poor quality blue tooth system the dealer called to say that the "GM Engineer" got my dad's car fixed. They supposedly added some foam around the microphone and additional insulation around the exhaust to eliminate road noise. This just took them short of 3 weeks to do this. Pretty efficient work. When I was called from the vehicle over the bluetooth I immediately asked if the windows were down. He said he was going 40 with the windows up. The "wind" noise started to lessen and I then said I think you are stopped at a light. I was correct. A quick call to Onstar - and the operator could not understand my dad. They called him back and then they could. There is not a pattern as to when this thing will work correctly. It works best when you are not moving. The "wind" noise is almost none existent at that point. I believe that the problem is something electrical as there is not a lot of road noise in the vehicle at 40 miles per hour. This particular car has the worst perfoming bluetooth system that I have ever heard. If you are moving at all it sounds like the windows are down.

His car has only 15,000 miles on it at this point so he will probably live with the problems until 25-30K when he normally trades off for a new one. He may go back to a Buick. Whatever he does he will make sure it has a functioning bluetooth before purchase. Cadillac has again told him that the system is working as designed. Something positive to think about though. My wifes friend has a large Mercedes SUV. My wife does not know the model but while talking to her friend her friend says - Sorry but I am about to get in my car - my blue tooth is horrible so I hope you can hear me. Cadillac has company in the poor blue tooth category for high end vehicles.

I know that not everyone is experiencing these problems but for those of us that are it us frustrating to purchase a new vehicle that is defective only to be told there is not an issue. This is common practice when there is a defect that is not present in every vehicle and the cause/solution is not known. If you plan to use the bluetooth system in any vehicle that you may purchase you may want to make sure that it works before you close the deal. This goes for any brand of car. Some cars are worse than others and I am sure that you get the same response from other manufacturers that the system is working as desgined if your car falls short in the audio quality.