: Wind shield cracks

robertbogle
05-03-13, 11:22 PM
Just got back from a six month stay in Texas, and while there, had to replace the wind shield twice on my 2012 srx,both the original and the replacement. What started as the tiniest of chips, about 1/2" from the edge, developed into a long crack , both times , when the windshield got hot. Am aaaai

----------

Just got back from a six month stay in Texas, and while there, had to replace the wind shield twice on my 2012 srx,both the original and the replacement. What started as the tiniest of chips, about 1/2" from the edge, developed into a long crack , both times , when the windshield got hot. Am aaaai

Am I just unlucky or is this a problem with windshields which don't have a molded frame. I've put a a 2" self adhesive exterior tape by 3m around the sides and top and I hope that this. Will save me another replacement .

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 10:50 PM

----------

Am I just unlucky or is this a problem with windshields which don't have a molded frame. I've put a a 2" self adhesive exterior tape by 3m around the sides and top and I hope that this. Will save me another replacement .

Hello robertbogle,

I am sorry you had to replace your windshield for a third time. I understand how that can be frustrating. I hope the adhesive you put around the new windshield helps prevent another replacement as well! Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

robertbogle
05-05-13, 09:24 AM
Hi Laura thanks for your interest ,I should have added that the second windshield was an" after market" and when I came to replace the second one , most of the glass shops supplied the same until I found one who didn't recommend it and fitted a premium glass. Up to that point I didn't know there was a choice. Bob b

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-05-13, 03:06 PM
Hi Laura thanks for your interest ,I should have added that the second windshield was an" after market" and when I came to replace the second one , most of the glass shops supplied the same until I found one who didn't recommend it and fitted a premium glass. Up to that point I didn't know there was a choice. Bob b

Hi robertbogle,

You are welcome! I am here to provide assistance and document concerns. We want our customer's to be happy with their vehicles.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

amunderdog
05-05-13, 04:15 PM
Texas has always been hard on windshields.

bikejunkie
05-07-13, 07:37 PM
Wow we had to replace our windshield at 5000 miles !!

mfdoc911
05-08-13, 01:05 PM
Seems to be a common thing with thespecial sound deadening glass. Around Christmas we got the tinest crack from a rock at the right top edge of the windshield with in a few hours it had spread clear across the window. Be aware most replacement glass is not the sound deadening variety, it took me two weeks to convince Farmers insurance that there was a difference and that I wanted glass of equal quality even if GM was the only supplier. They all try to push the cheap glass at you to save a buck

AzSRX
05-17-13, 08:21 PM
We had our 2013 SRX for 6 weeks (about 1200 miles) when we were unknowingly hit by a small rock just inside the edge of the windshield on the driver's side half way up. A few miles later we heard a loud pop and the windshield split horizontally half way across. The crack opened up wide enough that you could put your fingernail down in it. Our insurance company was only willing to pay the price of the replacement that did not have the original GM markings in the lower passenger corner. They said their replacement glass came from the same manufacturer of the GM glass and that GM does not make their own like some other auto manufacturers. I have no idea of that is true. After I agreed to pay the $190 difference the windshield glass repair company ordered the glass through the dealer. It was pretty annoying driving for 3 weeks looking right through the crack. We were very apprehensive about having the glass replaced in our brand new car but the installer did a perfect job. Given the separation in the glass it seems that the rock hit may have simply given the windshield a way to relieve the stress it was under from assembly. But we didn't pursue any of that with our dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-17-13, 09:32 PM
We had our 2013 SRX for 6 weeks (about 1200 miles) when we were unknowingly hit by a small rock just inside the edge of the windshield on the driver's side half way up. A few miles later we heard a loud pop and the windshield split horizontally half way across. The crack opened up wide enough that you could put your fingernail down in it. Our insurance company was only willing to pay the price of the replacement that did not have the original GM markings in the lower passenger corner. They said their replacement glass came from the same manufacturer of the GM glass and that GM does not make their own like some other auto manufacturers. I have no idea of that is true. After I agreed to pay the $190 difference the windshield glass repair company ordered the glass through the dealer. It was pretty annoying driving for 3 weeks looking right through the crack. We were very apprehensive about having the glass replaced in our brand new car but the installer did a perfect job. Given the separation in the glass it seems that the rock hit may have simply given the windshield a way to relieve the stress it was under from assembly. But we didn't pursue any of that with our dealer.

Hello AzSRX,

I apologize for the experience you had while driving for 3 weeks with a cracked windshield. I am glad to hear you were able to have it replaced and the installer did a great job. If you have additional questions or concerns in the future, please reach out to us via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.