: Aftermarket Headunit vs. original

Alpha.Romeo
05-03-13, 07:22 PM
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what solution might be the best:
A) replacing my Radioheadunit with a Navi Headunit and putting in some extras (rear cam, lockpicks) as seen on OEMAUTOPARTS
B) replacing my Radioheadunit with a aftermarket system (Alpine/Pioneer)
My problem is that I need a European system because I live in Munich. The other thing is that I have Sport Luxury model and would like to remain my rear seat entertainment system installed an would like to use it for example with an alpine system

zach2011
05-04-13, 11:36 PM
I don't know about tying a factory DVD system in with an aftermarket head unit but I'm sure it's possible. If it were me, however, I would just go with a factory system because I like the clean factory style look. Especially on a $70k-$80k vehicle. Plus, the lockpicks are pretty sweet for overriding limitations and adding multiple cameras.

I'm just not an aftermarket person so personally I recommend the 2012+ Nav system with the CF card reader and USB support (although any nav 2010+ will have USB). Then you just obtain the European version CF card for your map data. You'd have the lock pick and rear camera for some cool new features, full factory USB/iPod integration, reverse camera with color guidelines, and more. And it is guaranteed to work with your factory rear seat entertainment with no advanced wiring needed.

And if you desire aftermarket sound, then just change out your speakers, although the Bose system is pretty powerful and it is hard to find aftermarket speakers that beat it without spending a ton.

franknitty69
05-07-13, 12:30 AM
i would go aftermarket. more features and better navigation. if you use a metra or pac interface you will be able to retain your rear seat entertainment. the only caveat is that you won't be able to control RSE from the back, only from the front.

for instance, from the rear, you will no longer be able to switch between fm, xm, etc. you have to set the rear source from the new head unit.

eljefe7070
05-07-13, 12:45 PM
Crutchfield does offer a PAC interface to help with maintaining the stock SUB, AMP, Steering wheel controls, back up camera, and onstar features. IMHO i prefer it that the folks in the back were not able to change inputs. I'm searching for a screen that I can install above the new headunit. So I can roll with two screens in the dash, 1 over head and two headrest monitors.

Did a search and the only working setup I have seen was in Japan. Anyone else seen this type of setup done before?

wesyder
05-07-13, 05:19 PM
Crutchfield does offer a PAC interface to help with maintaining the stock SUB, AMP, Steering wheel controls, back up camera, and onstar features. IMHO i prefer it that the folks in the back were not able to change inputs. I'm searching for a screen that I can install above the new headunit. So I can roll with two screens in the dash, 1 over head and two headrest monitors.

Did a search and the only working setup I have seen was in Japan. Anyone else seen this type of setup done before?

Ive installed that interface in a buddy's 2012 yukon xl, it made the install sweet