: Why Doesn't the Luxury Trim come with Vertical Headlamps?

bollyjack
05-03-13, 07:47 PM
I bought the 2013 Cadillac ATS Luxary Trim a month ago......... and today found out that it doesn't have that vertical headlamps that run down in the front???????? Why wasn't this on the exterior look of the Luxury model?? I'm kinda let down here :(

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/sedans/1201_cadillac_ats_vs_bmw_3_series/39724410/2013-Cadillac-ATS-front-headlamp.jpg

sqkid89
05-03-13, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately the Base and Luxury models don't include those features as noted in the literature. I almost went with one myself, but went up to the performance trim. Since I was getting mine built to order, I made sure to review all of the features before my order.

blue_skies
05-03-13, 08:04 PM
Yes, the Luxury has no LED and no HID lights, thank to the Cadillac marketeers, and it was not even an option to consider.

The 2014 Luxury model now includes the HID headlights, but not the LED lights. At least it saves the trouble of going aftermarket ... :)

But aftermarket is still cheaper than the Cadillac options ...

http://g3.img-dpreview.com/5C9170C7314345B1AB7E74FCA3E4442C.jpg

http://g2.img-dpreview.com/A176F891F3D74982BF2F5F0D8F746628.jpg

bollyjack
05-03-13, 08:10 PM
Yes, the Luxury has no LED and no HID lights, thank to the Cadillac marketeers, and it was not even an option to consider.

The 2014 Luxury model now includes the HID headlights, but not the LED lights. At least it saves the trouble of going aftermarket ... :)

wait hold up, there is a 2014 Cadillac ATS coming out???

Stevo Supremo
05-04-13, 12:08 AM
I bought the 2013 Cadillac ATS Luxary Trim a month ago......... and today found out that it doesn't have that vertical headlamps that run down in the front???????? Why wasn't this on the exterior look of the Luxury model?? I'm kinda let down here :(

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/sedans/1201_cadillac_ats_vs_bmw_3_series/39724410/2013-Cadillac-ATS-front-headlamp.jpg

because Cadillac is Chintze...

frankly every model should have the flanking lamps (ok at least 2.0T )... that should be an ATS signature, I shouldn't have to pay top dollar to get some leds

rage2021
05-04-13, 10:18 AM
Yeah its so stupid you need to order Performance just to get the nice look in the front..like honestly its kinda of swaying me not to buy it for that reason.

Rongotti
05-04-13, 10:59 AM
Will we be able to order the 2014 HID's and swap them out for our 2013 halogens?

Stevo Supremo
05-04-13, 11:11 AM
Well I wouldn't NOT want an ATS because of this.. I just think it was kinda chintz on Cadillacs part... I dont even care about HIDS so much, I can do those myself later.. but those LED flanking lamps I cant do that... it'll never look as good.

sqkid89
05-04-13, 03:54 PM
This is nothing new, car makers do it all the time on cars. Take the mustangs and camaros for example - special grilles, lights, trim pieces, etc. If all options were available on all trims, what's the point of getting the upper trims if you can just get the cheaper models with the same accents/accessories. With that being said, I'm sure someone will figure out the part numbers and wiring schematics necessary to add the lower LEDs to non-factory setups. These cars are still in their first year and in a small user base, just gotta give it some time.

torkibe
05-04-13, 05:42 PM
This is nothing new, car makers do it all the time on cars. Take the mustangs and camaros for example - special grilles, lights, trim pieces, etc. If all options were available on all trims, what's the point of getting the upper trims if you can just get the cheaper models with the same accents/accessories.

Exactly. Why don't all models come standard with leather? Why don't they all have the Bose 10 speaker system? 10 way seats? It's not not being cheap or chintzy; they are "optional" for a reason.

EChas3
05-04-13, 09:30 PM
I understand grouping options into trim levels and limiting select options to higher trim levels to encourage buyers into higher levels. What I don't understand, is why sometimes desireable options simply can't be had together on some cars (not often, but it does happen.)

rustybear3
05-05-13, 12:34 AM
I understand grouping options into trim levels and limiting select options to higher trim levels to encourage buyers into higher levels. What I don't understand, is why sometimes desireable options simply can't be had together on some cars (not often, but it does happen.)

asked and answered a number of times...to encourage you to buy upper trim/more expensive models....case closed.

bollyjack
05-05-13, 03:25 AM
any chance that i can take my car to Cadillac so that they can install the vertical LED headlamps? Or an aftermarket choice? These vertical headlamps were one of the reasons why i got the Cadillac, and every-time I saw a video review or pictures of the ATS, i saw those headlamps, so i thought it came on every trim :(.

As you can see, I felt duped
http://thecensus.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/urkel.gif

Don't get me wrong, I still love the car.

rustybear3
05-05-13, 09:18 AM
any chance that i can take my car to Cadillac so that they can install the vertical LED headlamps? Or an aftermarket choice? These vertical headlamps were one of the reasons why i got the Cadillac, and every-time I saw a video review or pictures of the ATS, i saw those headlamps, so i thought it came on every trim :(.

As you can see, I felt duped
http://thecensus.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/urkel.gif

Don't get me wrong, I still love the car.

No, you can't...it's not a dealer installed option, strictly factory. Not to pick on you ( there are others as well), but how in the world did you order a car from a dealer without discussing models, trim levels, options, etc.? Plenty of pictures and videos as well that show the ATS WITHOUT the vertical LEDS, and the website clearly shows which models have and don't have the LEDS.....clearly a huge failure on your dealer as well. I'd go back to your dealer if he or she misrepresented the situation. Regardless, you have to shoulder the blame....Cadillac certainly didn't dupe you....

----------

Well I wouldn't NOT want an ATS because of this.. I just think it was kinda chintz on Cadillacs part... I dont even care about HIDS so much, I can do those myself later.. but those LED flanking lamps I cant do that... it'll never look as good.

Actually, it's cheapness on the buyers part...not Cadillac. Would you rather have no option to purchased the vehicle in the 30's and 40's and instead have one model with all the options for 50's plus? Quite frankly, I think some people want to step up into the luxury car market with Champagne tastes with beer money....goodies are part of the reward for stepping up into additional model cost.

thebigjimsho
05-06-13, 04:26 PM
No, you can't...it's not a dealer installed option, strictly factory. Not to pick on you ( there are others as well), but how in the world did you order a car from a dealer without discussing models, trim levels, options, etc.? Plenty of pictures and videos as well that show the ATS WITHOUT the vertical LEDS, and the website clearly shows which models have and don't have the LEDS.....clearly a huge failure on your dealer as well. I'd go back to your dealer if he or she misrepresented the situation. Regardless, you have to shoulder the blame....Cadillac certainly didn't dupe you....

----------

Actually, it's cheapness on the buyers part...not Cadillac. Would you rather have no option to purchased the vehicle in the 30's and 40's and instead have one model with all the options for 50's plus? Quite frankly, I think some people want to step up into the luxury car market with Champagne tastes with beer money....goodies are part of the reward for stepping up into additional model cost.http://rudpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nicki-minaj-gif-rudpop.gif

Hoosier Daddy
05-06-13, 09:20 PM
I hear this a lot about people being surprised their ATS doesn't have HIDs or LED accent lights and it never made sense to me that the dealer let that happen. Its clear Cadillac included them only with the top two collections to entice people to spring for one of those collections. So how could it be that dealers didn't make sure buyers knew that? I mean they make more money off a Performance or Premium. I'm sure there are poor salespeople but it seems there are more surprised buyers for that to explain it. I'm beginning to wonder if good sales people are losing sales because customers are expecting HIDs, LEDs, etc. and getting turned off when told they have to pay a lot more to get packages that include the HIDs. Even the lowliest of Mustangs, for example, comes with HIDs and LED accents. If I was selling ATSs and lost sales because I told customers our base or Luxury line doesn't come with HIDs, I might decide to keep my mouth shut on the issue and that could explain why so many ATS buyers get caught out by this.

rustybear3
05-06-13, 10:21 PM
I hear this a lot about people being surprised their ATS doesn't have HIDs or LED accent lights and it never made sense to me that the dealer let that happen. Its clear Cadillac included them only with the top two collections to entice people to spring for one of those collections. So how could it be that dealers didn't make sure buyers knew that? I mean they make more money off a Performance or Premium. I'm sure there are poor salespeople but it seems there are more surprised buyers for that to explain it. I'm beginning to wonder if good sales people are losing sales because customers are expecting HIDs, LEDs, etc. and getting turned off when told they have to pay a lot more to get packages that include the HIDs. Even the lowliest of Mustangs, for example, comes with HIDs and LED accents. If I was selling ATSs and lost sales because I told customers our base or Luxury line doesn't come with HIDs, I might decide to keep my mouth shut on the issue and that could explain why so many ATS buyers get caught out by this.

Nah, I don't believe that's the case. You can bet your bottom dollar buyers come in with their minds made up that they want either the base or luxury trim, and didn't bother to notice or read the specs carefully or did a side-by-side comparison that Cadillac provides you on the web site. This is NOT a guarded secret! Probably tell the dealer this is what I want, no more or no less.....then are shocked when they don't get everything. When you put in your order, the salesperson will go down the list of the model you chose, telling you what the trim model comes with and what options you want. I'm sure if they did their homework or had questions what a model has buyers should/would have spoken up! That's on them. Your not buying a toaster for cripe sake; you wouldn't check thoroughly what your getting for your money?

As for the Mustang, yes it has HID's but little else in the base model. NONE of them have the LED front lights or fogs....only REAR tail lights (Led's ) which practically all cars have now.....and we are talking a Mustang! But I agree, all Cadillac should have HIDS at this point....but guess what....if they did, I swear we'd have buyers who would complain that they hate them and wouldn't want them!!!

sqkid89
05-07-13, 12:26 PM
One of the dealerships I went to specifically showed me the lighting at night when I was looking at the Luxury version. Its 90% of what sold me on the Performance trim. Maybe just uninformed/lazy salespeople otherwise. However, knowing I was spending a good bit of money on a built-for-me car, I looked over the spec sheet probably a hundred times before finally signing the paperwork.

bravnik
05-07-13, 01:03 PM
I purchased my ATS because of the lighting. Not to say it was the main reason but when I saw it light up like a spaceship at night after I took it home for a test drive, I was sold. I would be pretty damn bummed if I got a Lux model and then saw the lights of the Per/Pre after the fact. I think all the dealers need to point out the lighting options for all models. If I was a salesman I would show a potential buyer a Premium model with all options then step down from there informing the potential customer of what options are not included on the lower models. Let them then decide on which model to go with based off of an informed decision.

PAO56
05-07-13, 04:33 PM
Im probably one of the rare customers who was simply looking for the base model without all the bells and bling.....my '12 SRX Performance model has those......so 2.5 base with CUE as the only option....drove off the lot tax title and tags for $33K......its my daily commuter for 103 mile round trip each day MD to Northern VA averaging 29-30 MPG per tank at the moment......but I did research each trim to see what I would get and what I really needed in a daily commuter, thus the base model fit my needs.....I knew what I wanted before I ever sent the first email to the dealer after searching inventories on line......not faulting anyone or any dealership...but simply be an informed consumer, regardless of what you are buying....

73JPS
05-07-13, 10:53 PM
One of the dealerships I went to specifically showed me the lighting at night when I was looking at the Luxury version. Its 90% of what sold me on the Performance trim.

I purchased my ATS because of the lighting. Not to say it was the main reason but when I saw it light up like a spaceship at night after I took it home for a test drive, I was sold.

These two anecdotes are really telling: cars are a very emotional purchase. I confess that I chose the performance trim based on the value/price equation, and the lights were not even on the radar for me on the "value" side: in fact, I thought that the illuminated door handles were a bit of a gimmick that would probably be more trouble than they were worth. Having said that, I would be surely pissed off if I didn't have the absolutely fantastic looking front end lights that grace my Performance level trim: but I sure as h*ll wouldn't be blaming Cadillac for their omission!

The features of each trim level are very clearly laid out in all of the literature, and anyone who makes a purchase without knowing what they are getting are the ones to blame, not the manufacturer: with apologies, I have zero sympathy for the original poster of this thread.

bollyjack
05-08-13, 07:26 PM
These two anecdotes are really telling: cars are a very emotional purchase. I confess that I chose the performance trim based on the value/price equation, and the lights were not even on the radar for me on the "value" side: in fact, I thought that the illuminated door handles were a bit of a gimmick that would probably be more trouble than they were worth. Having said that, I would be surely pissed off if I didn't have the absolutely fantastic looking front end lights that grace my Performance level trim: but I sure as h*ll wouldn't be blaming Cadillac for their omission!

The features of each trim level are very clearly laid out in all of the literature, and anyone who makes a purchase without knowing what they are getting are the ones to blame, not the manufacturer: with apologies, I have zero sympathy for the original poster of this thread.

But, don't you think that if the dealer is selling you the car, they should go over each feature and tell you the differences between each trim? There are customers who wants a Cadillac and go directly to a dealership knowing what car they want (ex. ATS or CTS), the Trim Specs can be learned at the dealership. Unless you want to custom build the car which could take several months, your only options are the cars on the lot or at another dealership. The HID lights are easily overlooked. It's on both the Performance and Premium, but not Luxary. You go to the website, the difference per trim are in pop windows, it's not like it's listed as a feature in a webpage. plus, usually when customers view images of the exterior and interior, your main focus is looking at the what colors you want right? So, when you are changing from Luxury and say Performance, you could easily overlook that that small HID light on the bottom on the car pops up in the image, because in your mind, logically, the HID lights comes in all trims. It's in every video review on youtube, in all the images of the ATS, the HID lights are there, so you don't second guess it when you are concentrating on other things like price, additional features, colors, etc.

73JPS
05-08-13, 09:36 PM
Well, fair enough, but I think it probably cuts both ways: in other words, easily overlooked by the purchaser, and also easily overlooked by the seller. I mean, the salespeople are also trying to meet the purchaser at the purchaser's level, so if price is the primary concern, the salespeople will probably be drawn in by that, and features become less important in the discussion.

As I said, I didn't give much thought to the lights when I was looking at this car, and I fully confess that I got the lights by good luck more than good management. To put it another way, the Performance trim level met all of my requirements, and had the lights only come on the Premium trim level, I would have missed out and been disappointed, because their value was not on my radar. Having said that, I would in no way think that I had been duped: I would take the responsibility myself, because I honestly believe that's whose responsibility it is.

Nevertheless, you make a valid point, and I'll revise my original "zero sympathy" (which was unduly harsh) to "satisfactory level of empathy". :)

Stevo Supremo
05-08-13, 10:09 PM

----------

Actually, it's cheapness on the buyers part...not Cadillac. Would you rather have no option to purchased the vehicle in the 30's and 40's and instead have one model with all the options for 50's plus? Quite frankly, I think some people want to step up into the luxury car market with Champagne tastes with beer money....goodies are part of the reward for stepping up into additional model cost.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/stevoelsupremo/url_zps9088d5e6.jpeg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stevoelsupremo/media/url_zps9088d5e6.jpeg.html)

rustybear3
05-08-13, 11:31 PM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/stevoelsupremo/url_zps9088d5e6.jpeg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stevoelsupremo/media/url_zps9088d5e6.jpeg.html)

http://i.imgur.com/d1AiUs6.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/d1AiUs6)

thebigjimsho
05-09-13, 09:40 AM
Major lulz.

bollyjack
05-11-13, 12:08 AM

any way to get aftermarket lights that is similar to how the lights are on the non-Luxury Trim models?

painterabel
06-13-13, 05:09 PM
Owning a brand new Cadillac is a sort of status and Cadillac has made it fairly affordable to get into a base level ATS with its leasing options. Therefore Cadillac must provide a way to separate the consumers who are barely able to enter the base level packages from the other consumers where price does not matter as much. Cadillac still tries to keep its top looks exclusive for the haves and not the have nots. if your fairly wealthy you want what the average man doesnt have and so they make the cool stuff only available at the top end of their prices. Its the same problem with Escalades now, everyone seems to have one but who is realy rolling around in Platinum Editions with their special LED headlights, only a selected few who can afford to pay around $85K instead of $55K.

JSATS
06-14-13, 07:49 AM
When I first ordered my ATS it was the luxury trim to save money. After having navigation and led lights on our Audi my wife had second thoughts so we decided to move up to the Premium model for 3500 bucks more. What a great move that was. The things we like most about the car are the HUD, nav, 18 inch wheels, led lights and many other options that came with the Premium pkg. The way I see it if your going to spend upwards of 40 grand for a car then you should get it the way you want it even if its a few bucks more.

rustybear3
06-14-13, 08:27 AM
When I first ordered my ATS it was the luxury trim to save money. After having navigation and led lights on our Audi my wife had second thoughts so we decided to move up to the Premium model for 3500 bucks more. What a great move that was. The things we like most about the car are the HUD, nav, 18 inch wheels, led lights and many other options that came with the Premium pkg. The way I see it if your going to spend upwards of 40 grand for a car then you should get it the way you want it even if its a few bucks more.

I agree about the value of the Premium trim....what Cadillac really needs to do is re-classify that model as "classic edition" or some other nomenclature that defines the model better; luxury is clearly misleading IMO. It's the second model up from four trim levels.

73JPS
06-15-13, 11:13 AM
I agree about the value of the Premium trim....what Cadillac really needs to do is re-classify that model as "classic edition" or some other nomenclature that defines the model better; luxury is clearly misleading IMO. It's the second model up from four trim levels.

Agreed. I'm no marketing expert, but in my mind I tend to think that "performance" would be a lower trim level than "luxury". I would have thought a more logical hierarchy of trims would be 'Base', 'Performance', 'Luxury', 'Premium'.

Or maybe avoid the term "luxury" altogether. Perhaps something like 'Just Escaped Poverty', 'I Don't Have Money But I Want to Look Like I Do', 'Can't Quite Reach', and 'My Schweidenhafter Is The Biggest' is more definitive ;)

torkibe
06-15-13, 12:58 PM
It's funny, but, when I first looked at the ATS, Cadillac wasn't even on my radar (I was leaning towards the Lincoln MKZ). Then we got my wife a Buick Enclave and realized that she got a GM supplier discount and that GM had ridiculous conquest offers going on at the time. My wife actually convinced me to look at Cadillac even though I hated the way the other models looked. I went in looking at the XTS and the Sales person showed me the ATS. I was blown away by the looks of the Performance model on the floor and once I drove it I was hooked! That being said, I too just assumed they all had those lights. Fortunately for me (or unfortunately depending on who you ask) I don't mind spending money to get the best of what's available so I started ticking off every option I wanted which put me at the $52,000 mark, assuring I would have those lights. I was never told they were part of a package though, and had I been cost conscious I may have missed out.

Not to rub it in, but boy am I glad I did! I don't often see the car from the outside but 2 nights ago my wife drove it because I was behind her in the driveway. I was outside when she came back (it was night) and this car looks SICK coming down the block. And I STILL have only seen a couple on the road and none had the Performance or Premium trims.

rustybear3
06-15-13, 04:28 PM
It's funny, but, when I first looked at the ATS, Cadillac wasn't even on my radar (I was leaning towards the Lincoln MKZ). Then we got my wife a Buick Enclave and realized that she got a GM supplier discount and that GM had ridiculous conquest offers going on at the time. My wife actually convinced me to look at Cadillac even though I hated the way the other models looked. I went in looking at the XTS and the Sales person showed me the ATS. I was blown away by the looks of the Performance model on the floor and once I drove it I was hooked! That being said, I too just assumed they all had those lights. Fortunately for me (or unfortunately depending on who you ask) I don't mind spending money to get the best of what's available so I started ticking off every option I wanted which put me at the $52,000 mark, assuring I would have those lights. I was never told they were part of a package though, and had I been cost conscious I may have missed out.

Not to rub it in, but boy am I glad I did! I don't often see the car from the outside but 2 nights ago my wife drove it because I was behind her in the driveway. I was outside when she came back (it was night) and this car looks SICK coming down the block. And I STILL have only seen a couple on the road and none had the Performance or Premium trims.

It does seem those trims (performance and Premium) are uncommon, but oh, baby....they sure light up the night when you see them; will be classic trim levels someday IMO.

nc-atsman
06-17-13, 11:36 PM
I have had my fully loaded Black Raven for 7 months - on the rare occasion I let my wife drive it at night and she pulls in it blows me away. Yea I paid some extra $$'s but it was worth every cent. The look is without a peer in today's auto landscape.

wongluk
06-18-13, 07:19 PM
Why doesn't the luxury trim come with magnetic ride and cost the same???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

thebigjimsho
06-19-13, 02:08 PM
Why doesn't the luxury trim come with magnetic ride and cost the same???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Cause it does.