: ATS Toll Road Transponder Mounting

Lorne
05-03-13, 06:06 PM
Took delivery of a new ATS this week!!! Does anyone have a recommendation regarding where to mount a toll highway transponder? They are normally supposed to be mounted on the window in front of the rear view mirror, but there's a black box on the ATS in that location (Rain sensor? Camera? Radar? Sonar? So much electronics in the ATS... what is that thing?) Do I have to keep a distance between the transponder and the black box? If you have experience using a transponder, I'd appreciate you advice.

GJB
05-03-13, 07:12 PM
Mount center just below the box behind the mirror. From the drivers position it will not be visible in your field of view.

Lorne
05-03-13, 07:30 PM
Thanks, GJB, that works! Can I mount it right up against the box? Does anyone know what's in that box?

zr1mom
05-03-13, 07:52 PM
The box is for your remote start.

GJB
05-03-13, 07:54 PM
I installed mine by holding the top of the EZ pass against the bottom of the box with the bottom of the EZ Pass tilted toward me. Then I swung it down against the glass so the interlocking tape would stick. This left a small gap between the transponder and the box. There are vents at the bottom of that box and this keeps them from being obstructed. I believe this box houses awareness package and automatic wiper sensors.

Lorne
05-04-13, 10:17 PM

It must be something besides the remote start -- I don't have remote start with a manual transmission...

----------

I installed mine by holding the top of the EZ pass against the bottom of the box with the bottom of the EZ Pass tilted toward me. Then I swung it down against the glass so the interlocking tape would stick. This left a small gap between the transponder and the box. There are vents at the bottom of that box and this keeps them from being obstructed. I believe this box houses awareness package and automatic wiper sensors.

I'll try it... thanks!

M5eater
05-07-13, 10:05 AM
it's the rain sense optical sensor.

PAO56
05-07-13, 03:37 PM
My VA EzPass is to the right of the black box, mirror hides it completely and no problems with it being read...I tried positioning it below the box but I could see to much of it.....

Sir CussFreq
05-07-13, 03:56 PM
On my ATS, the black box behind the mirror is used for the lane departure warning system... That's the camera that looks for the lane dividers (at least, that's what I've been told several times). Not sure if the other posters are just guessing or if they have a different system there, or if it also houses the rain sensor, etc.

My tolltag is pretty snug right up against the box, no problems there.

louieftw
05-10-13, 12:59 PM
Phew - thankfully I don't have to worry about mounting unsightly boxes on my windshield... Although the extra money the govt gets from toll roads would definitely help MI get some better roads lol.