: Code PO449 Evap Purge Valve

2005_CTS-V
05-03-13, 04:33 PM
Alright guys and girls,
Car threw a check engine light code PO449. I have looked on here an talked to the dealership and know it requires me to drop the rear cradle. My question to you all is, what all should I replace while the rear cradle is down, bushings etc.? Thanks for the help!
-Josh

Andringa
05-03-13, 07:07 PM
Are you positive it is the vent valve that is bad?

I dropped the cradle and replaced the vent and still had the code, came to find out it was a corroded plug causing my problems.

I'd do cradle bushings, diff bushing, and stainless braided brake lines while the cradle is out. (You have to undo some brake lines to drop the cradle, might as well upgrade when you have them half way out. )

2005_CTS-V
05-04-13, 07:45 AM
Guess I will check the plug first when I drop it. Already upgraded to stainless lines when I painted calipers.

Any recommendations on what bushing kit to go with? And does the front carrier upgraded brace over factory help?

Thanks for the good info!

Andringa
05-04-13, 07:57 AM
I had plug repaired at the dealer, I believe they were able to rewire it with the cradle in the car.

People say the 95A (red) RevShift cradle bushings and diff bushings are good. I haven't gotten them yet.
I don't thing the diff pinion brace is really needed.

You should read up on the cradle bushings, getting the old ones out is not easy.

PJGross
05-04-13, 08:08 AM
Have the dealer properly troubleshoot the code! I had the code for the EVAP system for 8 months. I didn't want to just throw parts at it, but my EVAP can didn't have a visible crack like others. I finally took my car to the local GMC dealer where our Traverse is serviced at since I didn't have a way to pressurize the system with smoke to check for leaks, etc.

Anyway, mine ended up being a bad purge solenoid. The solenoid is NOT under the car, its up in the engine compartment. The total was $200 or so which included the part, changing it out, and troubleshooting. WAY less than doing anything with the cradle.

If it was the EVAP can itself, I planned on just paying for the troubleshooting and doing the whole cradle update myself. I've been code free for 3 months or so now. The troubleshooting sheet from GM and diagram have been posted several times here if you search for it.

Good luck and hopefully it is just the solenoid! (or not if you want to do cradle bushings.

-PJ

I agree with the above, don't assume anything. The EVAP code can be for several things, so

2005_CTS-V
05-04-13, 10:17 AM
Great advice guys!!! I am heading to the dealership today to see what parts for both of the areas that you've talked about. Might just replace the one under the hood, see if the code cord back, then move on to the rear.
Thanks again

darkman
05-04-13, 10:28 AM
See attached.

2005_CTS-V
05-04-13, 04:55 PM
Sweet! Thanks darkman!

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 11:38 PM
Great advice guys!!! I am heading to the dealership today to see what parts for both of the areas that you've talked about. Might just replace the one under the hood, see if the code cord back, then move on to the rear.
Thanks again

Hello 2005_CTS-V,

I am glad to see you have gotten great advice from other forum members. Let me know how everything goes with your vehicle; we want to make sure your concerns are taken care of. If you have additional issues or questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service