: JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS

Mistercoffee2
05-03-13, 03:58 PM
Search, search and no find so I'll ask. Has anyone done the JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston (or any other) brake Upgrade Package on their CTS. Below is email to/from JDP.

My question:

Is it possible to fit your CTS-V Stage2 brakes kit to a 2008 CTS sedan with 19" CTS-V wheels.

If not, what else will I need to change?

Reply:

Hi David,

The CTS-V package would be a direct bolt-on to your CTS. We can also leave the CTS-V silver with the logo if you'd like. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. I appreciate your interest in our products and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley | JDP Motorsports | President
888-308-6007 Toll Free | 801-545-4215 Phone | 801-545-4217 Fax
jordan@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com

arw1510
05-03-13, 05:37 PM
Can I ask why you are doing this? Is it just for appearance? Since without the power, we don't really need brakes like that.

Mistercoffee2
05-03-13, 08:22 PM
Sure you can ask. First, if it were just for appearance I would be in the wrong thread. LOL Second, I live in Texas where big is always better. LOL again.

Seriously, it will take my 3.6 longer to get to 100 MPH but when there, the V and my car have the same problem. Getting back to zero. if you think about it, having bigger brakes on a 4000# car can't be a bad thing. Are they worth the money? That depends on how much disposable money you have or what your priorities are for what you do have. (I guess if I had a lot of disposable money I would have bought a V to start with but that's on my bucket list)

They also look REALLY GOOD in red.

Has anyone done the mod? I'm saving my 380,000 pennies.

Ramv
05-04-13, 12:31 AM
Brakes are pretty decent stock but room for improvement. Sounds like a cool upgrade. I did the the GMPP upgrades on my Chevy but need a lot more.

Guyver280z
05-04-13, 03:54 AM
I'm totally with you bro, you don't need a big engine to achieve enough speed to need better brakes, specially if you enjoy aggressive and/or sport driving (including autocross and track days). So if it can be done GO FOR IT!!! I wish it can be done so I can eventually upgrade my car as well!!!

arw1510
05-04-13, 09:45 AM
Gotcha I don't have enough roads without cops to where I can get higher than 85 for an extended period of time so it didn't really occur to be to be driving it that fast that often. But it sounds worth it for you

Mistercoffee2
05-04-13, 11:31 AM
Gotcha I don't have enough roads without cops to where I can get higher than 85 for an extended period of time so it didn't really occur to be to be driving it that fast that often. But it sounds worth it for you

Only 379,999 pennies to go.

I'm totally with you bro, you don't need a big engine to achieve enough speed to need better brakes, specially if you enjoy aggressive and/or sport driving (including autocross and track days). So if it can be done GO FOR IT!!! I wish it can be done so I can eventually upgrade my car as well!!!

I only wish someone who has done it would chime in.

is250sp
05-07-13, 11:19 AM
Search, search and no find so I'll ask. Has anyone done the JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston (or any other) brake Upgrade Package on their CTS. Below is email to/from JDP.

My question:

Is it possible to fit your CTS-V Stage2 brakes kit to a 2008 CTS sedan with 19" CTS-V wheels.

If not, what else will I need to change?

Reply:

Hi David,

The CTS-V package would be a direct bolt-on to your CTS. We can also leave the CTS-V silver with the logo if you'd like. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. I appreciate your interest in our products and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley | JDP Motorsports | President
888-308-6007 Toll Free | 801-545-4215 Phone | 801-545-4217 Fax
jordan@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com

I am in the same boat as you. Been searching everywhere for this to no avail. So far my only option is a 9k Brembo aftermarket kit. That's just insane. I tried that jdpmotorsports link but once I am in and click on anything else, I get a "Oops! This link appears to be broken." Are you getting the same thing?

Mistercoffee2
05-07-13, 11:37 AM
I am in the same boat as you. Been searching everywhere for this to no avail. So far my only option is a 9k Brembo aftermarket kit. That's just insane. I tried that jdpmotorsports link but once I am in and click on anything else, I get a "Oops! This link appears to be broken." Are you getting the same thing?

Yes, I have the same problem. I called JDP and they are aware of the issue and will have it up soon.

While they were on the phone they verified with Jordan Priestley that this is a bolt on kit on the CTS. You must have wheel clearance so verify that with the info on the site. I have 19's from the CTS-V Coupe and the stock brakes look like they came off a Smart Car.

This is a beautiful kit for a reasonable price.

is250sp
05-07-13, 11:53 AM
Yes, I have the same problem. I called JDP and they are aware of the issue and will have it up soon.

While they were on the phone they verified with Jordan Priestley that this is a bolt on kit on the CTS. You must have wheel clearance so verify that with the info on the site. I have 19's from the CTS-V Coupe and the stock brakes look like they came off a Smart Car.

This is a beautiful kit for a reasonable price.

what is the cost for this kit? does it include calipers and rotors? both front and back?

Mistercoffee2
05-07-13, 12:44 PM
what is the cost for this kit? does it include calipers and rotors? both front and back?

This is a complete, front and rear kit. The price depends on what you want, 4 or 6 piston front calipers, 1 or two piece front rotors and what pads. These are the same parts used by GM on the CTS-V, Camaro ZL1 and Corvette. The calipers are Brembo and you can get them with the V or Brembo decals. That's all I can remember. The site should be up soon. Search for their Stage 2 Kit.

I was going for the 6 piston caliper, 2 piece rotors up front and the standard 4 piston setup in the rear. Don't hold me to this but I think the price was around $3500.00. That's less then the Red (6 piston) calipers and 2 piece rotors and rear 4 piston and rotors only from GM Parts, no pads, lines, bolts...

I could save a lot by using the 1 piece rotor but I like the idea of being able to change to different disk with no worry of bolt pattern.

is250sp
05-07-13, 12:58 PM
This is a complete, front and rear kit. The price depends on what you want, 4 or 6 piston front calipers, 1 or two piece front rotors and what pads. These are the same parts used by GM on the CTS-V, Camaro ZL1 and Corvette. The calipers are Brembo and you can get them with the V or Brembo decals. That's all I can remember. The site should be up soon. Search for their Stage 2 Kit.

I was going for the 6 piston caliper, 2 piece rotors up front and the standard 4 piston setup in the rear. Don't hold me to this but I think the price was around $3500.00. That's less then the Red (6 piston) calipers and 2 piece rotors and rear 4 piston and rotors only from GM Parts, no pads, lines, bolts...

I could save a lot by using the 1 piece rotor but I like the idea of being able to change to different disk with no worry of bolt pattern.

This is awesome and a great affordable alternative. Are you planning to do this soon? Please do a write up!

Mistercoffee2
05-07-13, 09:42 PM
This is awesome and a great affordable alternative. Are you planning to do this soon? Please do a write up!

I will do a photo write up when I do it. Could be a couple of months. I still looking for a shop to flare my rear finders about 3/4" more for bigger tires on widened (11") CTS-V 19X10" wheels. Not enough offset for the sedan finders.

While you are waiting for the JDP site to come up, here is a link that shows the brakes being installed on a Camaro. It's the 6/4 piston, 2 piece rotor kit in silver with CTS-V logo. Remember, this was 2010 and it was done with GM available parts. I don't think the JDP kit was out then. But this is the kit I want but with Brembo logo and Red.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71401&highlight=brakes

is250sp
05-08-13, 11:37 AM
So this means that the V bbk will fit the non-V right? I could save more money by buying used parts as we have a lot of auto junk yards here.

Mistercoffee2
05-08-13, 07:25 PM
So this means that the V bbk will fit the non-V right? I could save more money by buying used parts as we have a lot of auto junk yards here.

Nice if you can do it. Most big junk yards are connected with sone sort of "Junk R Us" network that allows then to find parts from around the country. I tried a few of them when I started getting hot for these brakes. No luck.

Good luck and let me know if you find two sets.

I talked to JDP again today and they can't say when the site will be up.

Mistercoffee2
05-08-13, 10:07 PM
JDP site back up now. Here is link to the CTS brake kits.

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufacturers/chevrolet/camaro/jdp-cts-v-stage-2-brake-upgrade-package-2010-2012-camaro-camaro-ss-v8-jdpb1002

is250sp
05-09-13, 12:30 PM
Nice if you can do it. Most big junk yards are connected with sone sort of "Junk R Us" network that allows then to find parts from around the country. I tried a few of them when I started getting hot for these brakes. No luck.

Good luck and let me know if you find two sets.

I talked to JDP again today and they can't say when the site will be up.

If you can help me out by listing all of the parts I can start looking for 2 sets :)

Mistercoffee2
05-09-13, 02:39 PM
Moved up to top

leigh1322
05-10-13, 10:57 PM
I did a little research into this also a while back.
Learned 2 more things:
1) Many V owners use the 18 inch CTS wheels for track day wheels, so they clear the Brembo calipers.
2) A lister told me the spindles were exactly the same among all models, even the V's still have the center hole for the 4 wheel drive axles.

Couldn't find anything out about the hubs though. They may or may not be the same.

Good luck and keep us posted!

----------

All right, update.
Just did a quick gmpartsonline search and they list different hubs & bearings at all 4 corners for the V vs the CTS.
No part numbers. $229 ea.

Mistercoffee2
05-11-13, 01:42 PM
I did a little research into this also a while back.
Learned 2 more things:
1) Many V owners use the 18 inch CTS wheels for track day wheels, so they clear the Brembo calipers.
2) A lister told me the spindles were exactly the same among all models, even the V's still have the center hole for the 4 wheel drive axles.

Couldn't find anything out about the hubs though. They may or may not be the same.

Good luck and keep us posted!

----------

All right, update.
Just did a quick gmpartsonline search and they list different hubs & bearings at all 4 corners for the V vs the CTS.
No part numbers. $229 ea.

Yes, all my searches turned up more questions.

As for the hubs, the JDP kit does not include them and I believe they use stock V calipers.

I also wonder if there is a parking brake issue. The rear rotors are stock V and therefore have the parking brake drum.

Time will tell.

Front and Rear rotors:

is250sp
05-13-13, 01:01 PM
Very nice information buddy! However when I did a search on Amazon for "cts-v caliper" I get parts 172-2288 for $126 and 172-2308 for $87. Can you check these out?

Mistercoffee2
05-13-13, 02:48 PM
Okay, the two numbers you listed are for 2007 down. The GM numbers for those are 89047726 and 89047743.

I use www.tonkinonlineparts.com for reference because they list by ACDelco and GM numbers.

On their page enter the number in "Search Words or Parts"

Please edit your reply and remove the quoted info. I changed it below and added the GM numbers for the calipers.
I make changes as I find them. I have to update the brake lines as well, the listed ones are not correct.

Thanks for checking.

is250sp
05-13-13, 03:19 PM
Post edited. I will wait for you to test the parts first before deciding on what to do.

Mistercoffee2
05-13-13, 09:31 PM
Here is what I came up with for all the parts needed (I hope). All from Amazon except bolts from www.Gmpartsonline.net and brake lines from www.wundercarparts.com
Just to be sure, a friend at a local dealer is going to loan me a front Caliper and Rotor to dry fit and check clearances.
If that goes well then, and only then, will I say it's a go and order the parts below.

PARTS LIST UPDATED ELSEWHERE IN THIS THREAD

You will also need 3-4 pints of your chose of fluid.

I chose the 2 piece front rotors because I like them. There are a lot of 1 and 2 piece, drilled, slotted and drilled & slotted
rotors so do some searches and let me know what you find. I also chose the Yellow Calipers because they are the cheapest
and I will have them powder coated anyway (RED) and get rid of the V logos, taboo on a non-V, in favor of Brembo.

I will order 4 sets (8) speed bleeders because I'm a jerk and have no friends to help me bleed the brakes.

EDIT: Cleaned this up a little.

is250sp
05-14-13, 01:23 PM
what are you thoughts on these rotors http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-PREMIUM-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-BPRS34075-CTS-V-w-Brembo-/130906127740?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7a9cfd7c&vxp=mtr

Mistercoffee2
05-14-13, 02:19 PM
what are you thoughts on these rotors http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-PREMIUM-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-BPRS34075-CTS-V-w-Brembo-/130906127740?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7a9cfd7c&vxp=mtr

I truly know nothing about rotors but $530 less then the GM rotors is a lot of money. They look very good but there has got to be a lot of cheep Chinese knockoffs out there, not that these are, but who knows.

How about these? Probably not on my car but hell they may be good for a year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FRONT-2-REAR-CROSS-DRILLED-AND-SLOTTED-PERFORMANCE-BRAKE-ROTORS-CADILLAC-CTSV-/390411249074?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae652e5b2&vxp=mtr

However,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScxcSJ2YQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKsWMiqujYI

When I get the 2 piece sample for fitment test I may change my mind and go with a 1 piece front rotor..

I will post pictures.

is250sp
05-14-13, 02:45 PM
I truly know nothing about rotors but $530 less then the GM rotors is a lot of money. They look very good but there has got to be a lot of cheep Chinese knockoffs out there, not that these are, but who knows.

How about these? Probably not on my car but hell they may be good for a year.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FRONT-2-REAR-CROSS-DRILLED-AND-SLOTTED-PERFORMANCE-BRAKE-ROTORS-CADILLAC-CTSV-/390411249074?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae652e5b2&vxp=mtr

When I get the sample for fitment test I may change my mind on what rotors I use.

I will post pictures.

LOL those are way too cheap! No bueno!

I do not track my car or drive with a heavy foot so these are mainly for show. Thats why I am looking for a mid-priced 1 pc cross-drilled slotted.....no need to go overboard with high performance rotors.

Mistercoffee2
05-14-13, 02:49 PM
LOL those are way too cheap! No bueno!

I do not track my car or drive with a heavy foot so these are mainly for show. Thats why I am looking for a mid-priced 1 pc cross-drilled slotted.....no need to go overboard with high performance rotors.

I just added a couple of videos to my post below. Check out the one on drilled rotors. What's the chance a cheep drilled rotor will crack? For the street solid may be the best bet and could be even cheeper.

Mistercoffee2
05-14-13, 08:44 PM
I continue to update. Please let me know if you can find these SAME part numbers for less then the listed suppliers. I can add another column for the Silver Calipers if you like.

is250sp
05-15-13, 09:13 AM
So if the testing fits will you go with Amazon parts or JDP kit?

Mistercoffee2
05-15-13, 12:57 PM
So if the testing fits will you go with Amazon parts or JDP kit?

When I started this I had every intension of getting the JDP kit in red with Brembo logo. But realizing their kit was made up of GM parts I started looking around the net and put this list together. The JDP kit is $1000 more and they deserve that for pulling the parts together in one bolt on kit.

I will go with the parts because I deserve to save the $1000 for collecting all the info into one place. Took many hours, a lot of coffee and an angry wife. I have updated it many times but now feel it is as good as it gets.

My friend was unable to obtain the Caliper and Rotor so I ordered them from Amazon, should be here Saturday. If things go well with the test I will continue.

Some things are really hard to find. You would not think it would be a problem finding Speed Bleeders for the CTV-V. I spent hours yesterday (did I say I'm 71 and retired), on the net and phone, and could not fine a supplier that could tell me for sure their product will fit. I will have to wait until the caliper arrives and measure the bleeder valve that comes with it.

Mistercoffee2
05-15-13, 02:00 PM
I checked and the front calipers (2) in Silver are $100 more then the Yellow. I will have mine powder coated Red before install or go with Yellow which may look good on a Black car. When I look at this list and realize what the front 2 piece rotors cost I question my decision to use them for my street only 3.6 CTS.

EDIT: Amazon charges tax only in AZ, CA, KS, KY, NY, ND, PA, TX and WA. If you do not live there you will save about $200 in taxes.

is250sp
05-15-13, 09:31 PM
I agree with the yellow on black as that was my first and only choice. As far as the Speed Bleeders, my friend has an auto shop that's doing the install so I don't really need that part right?

Mistercoffee2
05-15-13, 09:38 PM
That is correct. Having at least one friend, that is not your wife, can sometimes save you money.

Mistercoffee2
05-18-13, 07:39 PM
The first parts arrived this evening. Much to late for the test fitting. That will have to wait until Tuesday due to other commitments.

I was not ready for the share size of these things. The rotor is very heavy and the caliper is very light. I will weigh them.
EDIT: Rotor 26.2, Caliper 8.8, 35.0 total

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-18181040.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-18181040.jpg.html)

Thought I had better put something in for reference.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-18181249.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-18181249.jpg.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-18183252.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brkes/2013-05-18183252.jpg.html)

If you had questions about the origin of the Calipers. Little hard to read, Made in Italy - Brembo

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-18220709.png (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-18220709.png.html)

is250sp
05-19-13, 04:15 PM
Nice! So you decided to go with the OEM V rotors?

Mistercoffee2
05-19-13, 06:44 PM
Nice! So you decided to go with the OEM V rotors?

Yes but not with the V logo. As soon as the test fitting is successful I will get the Brembo logo installed.
Should know on Tuesday. Then I will have to order the other parts. I will post every step through completion.

Should I end this thread and start a DIY thread.

is250sp
05-19-13, 08:24 PM
Is the V logo a sticker or painted on?

Mistercoffee2
05-19-13, 08:26 PM
Is the V logo a sticker or painted on?

A sticker under clear.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I think they are painted in some way, like silk screen, before the clear. Very sharp edges. I will sand them off, repaint Yellow, install Brembo sticker, and clear.

is250sp
05-20-13, 06:05 PM
When I search for "Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit #12238" on amazon, the closest one I found is this with a different price than yours. Is this the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-Stainless-2004-On-Cadillac-Brembo/dp/B000IJBAGQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1369087333&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Goodridge+Stainless+Steel+Brake+Line+Kit+ %2312238

Also I cant find the Caliper Bolts GM. Do you have the link for that? And finally, for the pads, do I need 2 sets each for a total of 4 orders?

Mistercoffee2
05-20-13, 07:57 PM
When I search for "Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit #12238" on amazon, the closest one I found is this with a different price than yours. Is this the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-Stainless-2004-On-Cadillac-Brembo/dp/B000IJBAGQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1369087333&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Goodridge+Stainless+Steel+Brake+Line+Kit+ %2312238

Also I cant find the Caliper Bolts GM. Do you have the link for that? And finally, for the pads, do I need 2 sets each for a total of 4 orders?

I'm glad you ask. If you look at the bottom of that Amazon page for the 12238 kit you will see that it is part number GS12242. Not the correct set, thanks Amazon.

http://www.wundercarparts.com/ 888-986-3373 has said they will provide the correct kit for $155 shipped.

The bolts are at http://www.gmpartsonline.net/, just enter the pars number in search. I am not even sure yet if we have to replace the bolts. I will fit the front rotor and caliper tomorrow.

As for the pads. I have the same question. The rear pads are very expensive and show a cable in the photo. Having yet to look at the rear brake I can only guess it is a built in wear indicator. I cannot find anywhere that confirms that. I will have to call Hawk. If this price is for one wheel then I won't be using Hawk pads.

Please help if fine these parts cheeper.

Here is the latest list.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/PartsList.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/PartsList.jpg.html)

Mistercoffee2
05-20-13, 09:20 PM
This photo from the Hawk web site show 4 pads. The same photo is used for most all kits. So, 1 kit front and 1 kit rear.

Mistercoffee2
05-21-13, 02:03 PM
SUCCESS !

The Rotors and Calipers mounted perfectly. But, I forgot about the backing plates. They are much to small. New ones are about $12.00 each (25949512 Right and 25949513 Left) and I will be updating the parts list.

Take a look at the distance from the rotor to the bolt in the upright with old and new rotors. There is no problem, the bolt is well behind the rotor but this shows how much bigger these rotors are.

The bolts are 1/2" X 2". Unless your bolts are rusted, I see no reason to replace them. Mine are like new. Your call.

The brake line will connect to the new caliper. If you like the rubber lines for street only driving then you can use them. If you want the best brake feel possible then replace them.

I had a little trouble getting the Torx screw out of the rotor. My T25 fit a little loose so it may be a T27.

I'm guess the rear backing plates will also have to be replaced and they mount the parking brake and cost about $65 each. GM 24851205 and 25851190. Won't know for sure until I get the rear parts and take a look at it.

I also found a Phoenix Systems brake bleeding kit burred in my shed. I got it in Aug 2004 (receipt in box) and never used it. May try it. Can be used to push or pull the fluid.

All said, it looks like there are no problems that cannot be overcome so I'm ordering more parts.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-21093433.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-21093433.jpg.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-21102648.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-21102648.jpg.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-21103006.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-21103006.jpg.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/9d268155-e731-449c-ad2b-debd11b914ec.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/9d268155-e731-449c-ad2b-debd11b914ec.jpg.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/0709266D04-089.png (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/0709266D04-089.png.html)

is250sp
05-21-13, 02:34 PM
Awesome! Keep up the good work....I am drooling :)

Can you take a pic of the V and non-V caliper side by side for comparison?

Mistercoffee2
05-21-13, 06:39 PM
Awesome! Keep up the good work....I am drooling :)

Can you take a pic of the V and non-V caliper side by side for comparison?

Yes I will when the parts get here and I remove the old calipers. My car is back together now.

Here is the latest parts list with the backing plates and updated prices. I think Amazon may have the front backing plates but the photo was not correct so I went with GM. Replacing the backing plate requires removal of the hub because the plate is under it.

I will continue to chat here and when the parts arrive I will start a DIY MOD Thread and do a photo step by step thing

Jagillac
05-21-13, 11:20 PM
Mistercoffee2, in case you can't tell. Me and probably a lot of other forum members are really thankful for what you just did. I have been wanting to do this on my coupe since I took delivery on my car. I knew that it would be a pricey venture but now I have an exact cost and will start saving my pennies and when I have to replace my brakes or have enough set aside ill be doing the exact same thing!

Thanks again. Look forward to seeing the DIY

Jag

Mistercoffee2
05-21-13, 11:48 PM
Mistercoffee2, in case you can't tell. Me and probably a lot of other forum members are really thankful for what you just did. I have been wanting to do this on my coupe since I took delivery on my car. I knew that it would be a pricey venture but now I have an exact cost and will start saving my pennies and when I have to replace my brakes or have enough set aside ill be doing the exact same thing!

Thanks again. Look forward to seeing the DIY

Jag

Thank you very much. It was a labor of love and I enjoyed the search. I'm sure there will be more changes to the parts list coming. Hopefully people will come up with suppliers with better prices. Like the brake lines. $163 is a lot but they are the best (?) and I have not found many suppliers.

I have developed a tooth problem in the last few days and I know when I get to the dentist the bill will be half what this mod cost. I'm telling you this because my pockets are not that deep (no, not seeking donations lol) so I ordered only the parts to do the front end as Part 1 of the DIY (I will try to complete part 1 by end of May) and the rear a few weeks later as Part 2 (maybe by the end of June if the dentist lets me keep a few bucks).

Does anyone have thoughts on the drivability of the car with the stock brakes in the rear and V brakes up front?

Thanks for your kind words.

HurstGN
05-22-13, 06:29 PM
A sticker under clear.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I think they are painted in some way, like silk screen, before the clear. Very sharp edges. I will sand them off, repaint Yellow, install Brembo sticker, and clear.

It's called pad printing. Very good at reproducing high detail on odd shaped items.

Mistercoffee2
05-22-13, 09:26 PM
It's called pad printing. Very good at reproducing high detail on odd shaped items.

Thanks for the info. Mine are gone now, sanded off in prep for paint, Brembo logo and and clear. I have Black Brembo stickers coming. That's not a flash hot spot, I got through the yellow to primer in order to get that Pad Painting off. lol

Got some good news and some bad news today. The 2nd front rotor will be here June 3 but the remaining parts to complete the front brakes may be delayed until July 18.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-22200743.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-22200743.jpg.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-22200840.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-22200840.jpg.html)

Mistercoffee2
05-23-13, 05:36 PM
I received the front Splash Guards and was very surprised. They are not what I expected. While looking into these odd things I discovered that there is another Splash Guard on late model CTS-V mounted behind the upright. They cover the hole on the spindle and cost about $15 each. I don't know If we need them.

I also got the rear caliper bolts but not the front.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/SplaskGuard.png (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/SplaskGuard.png.html)

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/Brakes/2013-05-23162626.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/mistercoffee2/media/Brakes/2013-05-23162626.jpg.html)

Jagillac
05-23-13, 10:33 PM
So I get its a splash guard but really for what and how do they work?

Mistercoffee2
05-23-13, 11:18 PM
So I get its a splash guard but really for what and how do they work?

I really have no clue why it is shaped like it is. Must be for air flow.

Mistercoffee2
05-28-13, 02:24 PM
Progress update: I now have all the parts for the front brakes save one. The caliper pin set had a two month backorder on Amazon so I ordered from RockAuto and now get a 4 June ship date from them. They are also available from gmpartsonline.net.

So I'm working on putting the Brembo decals on and high temp clear coat over them.

Also I may install d3 spacers on while I have the hub off. The spacer requires longer lug bolts. I have the CTS-V wheels and I want then out to the edge of the fender. The spacer is only 11mm, .43". They also have 16mm, .63" but that may be to much.

Thoughts.

Jagillac
05-28-13, 10:45 PM
I honestly don't know how much mine really got pushed out with my Vossen wheels but the off set is perfect. They go right to the edge and it looks so mean!

I'm sure they will help no matter what!

is250sp
05-28-13, 10:56 PM
My aftermarket rims which claims to be flushed to the fenders (still waiting on them as they are backordered) have the following offsets. So my guess is if you can find out the offset on the V rims and add in the spacer size, as long as you are close to the specs below, I think you should be good.

front 35mm
rear 27mm

Mistercoffee2
06-07-13, 08:35 PM
Well I though the pin kit was going to be the holdup but everything is here for the front and some for the rear. But I'm still waiting for Goodridge to make a set of braided steel lines for a CTS-V. When they arrive I will do the first installment (Front) of my "show and tell" on the Brembo (V) brake install on the CTS.

I also want to install 1/2 in longer wheel studs while I have the front hubs off for future 1/2 in spacer. I have not located any yet. Please help me if you can. M14-1.50 thread, 16mm knurl, 70mm total length.

Sorry but I have to split it into two installments so I can suck another $1000 from my budget for the remaining rear parts. I don't drive much so I will do with the big front and stock rear for a month or so.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/CTS-V%20Brake%20MOD/Parts.jpg

X E Ryder
06-13-13, 12:40 PM
Can I ask why you are doing this? Is it just for appearance? Since without the power, we don't really need brakes like that.

It only takes 15 minutes of hard use on the stock brakes - even the touring brakes - to basicly melt the pads onto the oem rotors.

The same thing happened to my Charger with oem rotors and calipers, with EBC yellowstuff pads - 4 laps at Laguna Seca - mush.

A brake upgrade is required for hard use or track days on any car over 4k #'s I would suggest.

You CAN get away with only doing the fronts - all the weight transfers there anyway under hard braking and the ABS system just bias' away the rear grab of bigger brakes. Those of you who have tracked your cars probably remember that the rear brakes are nearly unaffected by the use, while the fronts suffered miserably.

One suggestion for anyone tracking your car; use the oem 1 piece rotors. Even with upgraded calipers and pads you will need to drop the front rotors in the trash at the end of the day. This gets cost prohibitive quickly with 2 piece or afternarket rotors. It bummed me out when my 2 piece willwood rotors were anniliated in 1 track day, I keep them around as a reminder. The rotor marking paint indicated 1300 o F was reached!

Nice job on the list, and don't forget this opens your Pad choices up Big time! Finally, never run race pads on the street, you will literally sand down your rotors to nothing in a week!

Mistercoffee2
06-13-13, 02:10 PM
Good advise X E Ryder. I don't track my car nor am I investing $3000 in brakes totally for looks although that does play a large role. I'm very hard on brakes. I tend to charge an upcoming stop then slam the brakes. My wife hates me!

I had an occasion to put the stock brakes to the test on a road trip last week when a dump truck, with pickup on it's tail, entered the interstate on a VERY (should be illegal) short ramp at a very slow speed. I'm in the right lane doing 60 with a 18 wheeler on my left. No accident but those brakes suck.

Anyway, to be honest, looks played >50% in my decision to do this mod and I'm sure anyone contemplating doing it will finds their own reason. The bottom line is that you cannot have to much brake on a 4K lb car.

The list below (#56) is 99.9% correct. I can say for sure the part numbers are correct. I'm still short the brake lines and got another backorder delay from Goodridge (via Wundercarparts.com) until 1 July for shipping. I would not put these brakes on and feed them with the OEM lines. However, I will start posting the mod for the front next week using the stock lines for a couple of weeks. The rear will follow and hopefully the lines will be in by then.

There are options for Rotors, Lines, and Pads that can save $$$ depending on your needs. Or you can spend even more and go with drilled/slotted Rotors or Silver or Red Calipers. Silver is bout $100 each more then the Yellow and the Red are not offered except on GM Parts at about twice the price of Yellow. Why, I have no clue. I did notice the piston kit for the calipers are listed by caliper color. So I figure the piston size is progressively larger on the Silver and Red. Thoughts?

This all started when I saw the JDP kit and thought it was a great price. And it is, but it does not include some parts necessary on a street car, backing plates for one, the rear one includes the parking brake.

Mistercoffee2
06-14-13, 01:40 PM
The rotor marking paint indicated 1300 o F was reached!

Wow! I have never seen an DOT 13 fluid so I guess yours was boiling. How accurate is the marking paint?

You need one of these: http://www.professionalequipment.com/thermometer%2Dwith%2Dtype%2Dk%2Ddatalogger%2D309/k%2Dtype%2Dthermocouple/

It has 4 channels so you could put a probe on the front pads and calipers. Also does data logging so you can see what happened before the crash. Like a "Black Box" investigation. lol

This guy built one for his Motor Home: http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/brake_monitor.html

I love this stuff! This could be a good mod post. Are you going to do it or shell I?

Mistercoffee2
06-19-13, 12:48 AM
THIS THREAD IS NOW DEAD. See Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS Parts 1, 2 and 3